Chassis rot

I thought this deserved a photo!

Never seen a Defender quite this bad at a relatively young age, this is a late 1998 T reg 300tdi, it's like this all the way along the rails. The rear axle has detached itself from both trailing arms and there's hardly anything left of the gearbox crossmember!

e6b2a5a6852564c5e17b350627255665_zpsd261

It's a 110 hardtop that has been driven on a beach most of its life, but I didn't realise it was this bad - I knew it had to have a new sump

a year or two ago as it had rusted through and dumped its oil one night!

I bought it as a donor as it does have a couple of redeeming features - 300tdi/r380, disc braked salisbury, plastic fuel tank and has only done 50k from new,

The only other photo I took is of almost the same view but it shows where it has almost split in two in front of the radius arm bracket on the left of the photo. I took the gearbox out today but daren't put it on my 2 post lift for obvious reasons. I didn't have to undo the gearbox crossmember, it fell out as the side plates are no longer present!

b601ab289fb7d67025299d6f942424a0_zps0958

Not quite as bad as the origional picture but this was the state of a chassis on a B reg 90 I rebuilt a couple of years ago.

post-3384-0-54709200-1402997602_thumb.jpg

Rear Spring seat, wouldn't want to go over a speed bump or even jump in the back!.

post-3384-0-56802300-1402997670_thumb.jpg

Bulkhead outrigger, not much holding the bulkhead up.

Possible not the worst rust ever but what was scary is this was only one month out of MOT, it had been tested and past 13 month previously!!. I knew the previous owner and it only got used for local driving and towing a small trailor, no boats or water to cause that much rust in that time.

I can only assume the MOT testers guide dog liked the smell of it!.