How can this happen ?

There would appear to be a tax disk holder in the windscreen with no tax disk, perhaps it is untaxed and a resident has complained that it has been abandoned? I can't think they'd have the right to remove it if it is fully road legal (MOT, Tax, Insurance).

Not taxed and not SORNed? not insured?

If it was off the road on a drive then I'm sure that would be fine. I suppose it's not that much different to the police shows you see where a car is seized if driver doesn't have insurance or tax if caught on the road?

I've still got the notebook somewhere from when I did the abandoned vehicles around the Medway Towns back in the early 80s. I can't remember the act we used, Civic Amenity rings a bell. I went round usually in my Land Rover and in the rougher areas leant out the window, sprayed the screen and slapped on the self adhesive 7 day order before getting out pdq! We usually did after public complaints and did untaxed vehicles both on highway and council land. If it was taxed we consulted the police first.

If they were still there a week later they went straight to the scrapper who paid us £50 per vehicle, unless it was a bit unusual when I'd tell them to hang on for a week before breaking it. I disposed of what would now be some real classics, no Land rovers though!

Had one guy come in to reception claiming he'd been on holiday when I scrapped his knackered 1100, turned out he had a holiday at Her Majesty's pleasure!

If a person informs the council of a suspected dump it will be removed in 7 days taxed or not. The owner has this period to get in touch or move it.

So if a car is sat in the road sat out side your house (and registered at that address) fully taxed, MOT'ed and insured it can be towed and scraped if a neighbour complains about it when they know you are away !!.

Not sure how it would stand up in court if it was contested, surely provided the vehicle is legal (insured, taxed etc) then the tax gives you the right to park it anywhere on a public road provided it isn't causing and obstuction and any removal would be theft. If it is not taxed, insured etc and has no known owner (shouldn't happen with the new paperwork) then I can see the point.

Lots of people would not be able to respond inside of a week, due to holidays or in my case spending most of the year working away from home.

Wonder how often this has actually happened, land rovers in particular often look fairly rough and "scrappy" to some one that doesn't know the brand so several thousand pounds could get towed quite easily.

I have in the past had a neighbour that complained about the land rover lowering the tone even though it was worth a lot more then her car. Another guy close by took to parking his tractor outside her house just to annoy her after she ranted at me whilst he was stood there, it was full road legal and registered PLG as it was used for hedge cutting so despite the police regularly getting called there was nothing they could do and I believe in the end she was informed if she carried on calling them (999 call each time!) she would get charged.

Not sure how it would stand up in court if it was contested, surely provided the vehicle is legal (insured, taxed etc) then the tax gives you the right to park it anywhere on a public road provided it isn't causing and obstuction and any removal would be theft. If it is not taxed, insured etc and has no known owner (shouldn't happen with the new paperwork) then I can see the point.

Lots of people would not be able to respond inside of a week, due to holidays or in my case spending most of the year working away from home.

In UK law there is no "right" to park a vehicle on a public highway: legally, highways are designated for the "passing and re-passing" of vehicles, pedestrians and animals. Highway-authorities and councils may designate parts of a highway for parking though.

A vehicle seemingly abandoned on a public highway or other right-of-way [e.g. bridleway, footpath] may, as has been said, be removed by the authorities and and disposed-of even if it is apparently taxed/insured/MoTed. Some friends of mine had an issue with this a while back when their forest-access was often used by the local joyriders to abandon stolen cars. Initially the council weren't interested - they changed their mind after the paramedics couldn't gain access to the forest to attend a serious spinal-injury [rider off horse] because of a dumped car in the way.

In UK law there is no "right" to park a vehicle on a public highway: legally, highways are designated for the "passing and re-passing" of vehicles, pedestrians and animals. Highway-authorities and councils may designate parts of a highway for parking though.

It's only tolerated because there's nowhere else to put the 30 odd million vehicles in this country.

It's only tolerated because there's nowhere else to put the 30 odd million vehicles in this country.

Indeed - and anything that gets the untaxed/uninsured/un-MOT'd cars off the roads means there's more parking-spaces for those of us who play by the rules.

Living close to a major international airport, we used to get airport parking cars left in our road for a couple of weeks or more. Parking was bad enough without these guys compounding the problem.

I tried reporting them abandoned, but it wasn't so straight forward.

If a car was taxed and looked legal, it had to have been there at least 14 days before the council would attempt to contact the owner, who then had 14 days to respond. If no response was obtained from the registered owner the car could then be removed. So the barstewards could be parked there for a month before anything could be done to remove them!

We now have the local PCSO declaring war on the holiday parking companies who leave cars in residential roads. The crooks concerned are taking money from clients on the premise that their cars are being kept in secure compounds!

It turns out that on the other side of town (read rougher) the residents deal with the situation in a more hands on way :ph34r: The problem there is that they seem to have 'dealt' with a few cars belonging to their neighbours too.