what in the deuce?

discomikey

got in my truck for the short commute to work today and noticed that whenever i get upto about 30mph i have steering wobble. badly. not as if its out of balance, more like it is not round anymore, but egg shaped. anything below 30 is fine. and it certainly wasnt doing that when i parked it up last night.

theres only 2 causes i can think that could have kicked it off. the tyre has suddenly overnight either got a flat spot or a bubble type thing, (unlikely, theyre 1.5-2yr old Goodyear Wranglers) or someone has been ever so kind as to have hit my truck last night and buggered off. (which i doubt as there are no marks)

i tried to watch the front wheel whilst driving(feels to me like front drivers side) but cant see anything wrong, and checked for wheelbearing and swivel play and all is fine there so it really is a mystery. I havent jacked it up but im 90% sure theres no play as i really went for it rocking the tyres.

dont have a spare tyre to test wether its the tyre either (i know what a tool!)

any thoughts?

would be CV's if i had got my orse into gear and put some shafts in the front. there is no front prop, shafts or CV's at the moment so pretty safe to assume its not driveline. it does really feel like tyres. although its intermittant and it happens at different speeds. you can power through it and it feels fine then but its always between 25-40, undulations in the road seem to provoke it if it isnt already happening and the wheelbearings arent loose, neither is the swivel from what i can tell. like i said i really went for it with the wheels on the ground notmally you can tell like that at least if theres some play although cant pinpoint it to either wheelbearing or swivel.

not hit any potholes its not a vibration its more of an "oscillation" you can definately feel its the front drivers side. ive just been under it and checked all the bolts, which are all tight, wheelnuts are tight, ive rolled the truck along whilst feeling the tyres all individually, none of them seem out of round at all, no bulges in the sidewalls or anything like that. just plain wierd!

anyone in COV with a 335/85 or 7.50 tyre (and jack and 27mm socket) that i could borrow for 15 mins to see if it is the tyre?

what are the chances that a tyre that is so relatively new and a quality brand that can go wrong,

and why, if it is the tyre, is it not constant but direcrtly related to road speed? surely if a tyre is egg shaped it would be egg shaped at 1mph and 100mph, not just 30-40???

I thought all series vibrated, rattled and wandered all over the road?

Spring or shock?

Wheel damaged or lost weight? A good balancer should show it? Or got something stuck in or on a wheel?

Prop shaft / uj?

You say the steering components are tight but have you checked against the figures in the manual or just waggled at the wheels?

alignment is fine, plus that wouldnt change overnight haha. and again, how would a swivel loosen up oernight? obvoiusly these are thing i will check as a matter of course when i get to the workshop tomorrow, but its still a mystery as far as i can see.