another Ebayer that needs reporting - ID - no chassis.

I don't understand the original eBay link.

The item description clearly states it is for a rear cross member only, which doesn't match the item listing title. And the bidding is over £500, for a rear cross member! To me just the picture, and the title/description says its dodgy, yet who is bidding?

I think in ebays eyes, the fact that he is apparently selling the crossmember is consistent with selling a chassis with ID. We all know what they are really selling, but is suspect ebay dont really care. Last time RNP raised one of these threads, i also reported the items, but they were just relisted a few days later. Ebay dont take it seriously.

We all know what they are really selling, but is suspect ebay dont really care.

This is sort of what I mean, its obvious what is really happening.

So who would bid...I would hope we all wouldn't. So who is? Or is that really what this illustrates, that a lot of people don't care where their parts come from, and that is what drives the thefts in the first place.

So who would bid...I would hope we all wouldn't. So who is? Or is that really what this illustrates, that a lot of people don't care where their parts come from, and that is what drives the thefts in the first place.

I think there are a subset of people that don't think this is an issue and dont care (not me BTW). I would think anyone bidding on that thread knows exactly what they are bidding on.

• Like 2

I think the real problem is you can go buy a Galv chassis then buy every thing else second hand. Build yourself a nice shiny new truck all you then need is an ID you could iva it and register it correctly all legit and lovely. That is however far to hard when you can just buy a v5 stamp the numbers in MOT it job done no one checks it, on the road. These people aren't dishonest or thieves there people who don't know any better. Let's face it no one tells you how to do it properly oh and it cost more to do it properly.

Mike

I think it's worse than that. Replace the above with "Steal a Land Rover, sand off chassis number, Buy new ID on ebay, Stamp ID and get plates made - nobody will look twice at it again as it's now a different, not stolen vehicle."

This kind of thing makes it too easy.

• Like 1

You may be right but I'm fairly sure I'm right too the point is either way there is no checks in place. Anyone can buy a chassis with no proof of why they want it. I've never seen an MOT man check the vin number on the chassis and I'm not convinced many would bother to report a suspect vehicle. Whatever way you look at it it's just to easy to change to ID of a vehicle.

Mike

I don't think that anyone would buy a galv chassis, then buy a load of bits and build a new one would they, just too much like hard work, more realistic to steal and rebadge? say £650 outlay for a stolen one and resell on at whatever a 1990 goes for now is more realistic, what's needed is for ebay to provide the police with the list of bidders for them to do a pop in visit to discuss why they were bidding on such an item ..... maybe we need a few covert such auctions to catch the unscrupulous

... besides, building a new one from bits, then selling it on a 1990 plate can't be that lucrative can it, more economic as a rebadge / plate. Like a I said, given the frequency of theft of the defenders maybe we need a few covert such auctions to catch those bidding

(mods feel free to delete my posts should someone think that I've let the cat out of the bag, but it seems obvious to me that it could be an option if no one wants to pull the auction doesn't it?)

• 4 weeks later...

What is the best way to report a V5 for sale on ebay to these people? As another is posted on ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landrover-v5-log-book-Chassis-/111511542754?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19f69b1be2

In the past I've just emailed them the details at this address vehiclefraud@avcis.pnn.police.uk .... I didn't get a reply but the auctions were pulled.

It's been taken down but now the little tw*t has put a new listing up complaining that eBay took it off without giving him a real reason.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landrover-v5-log-book-chassis-/111513601257?pt=UK_CarParts_Vehicles_Manuals_Litterature_ET&hash=item19f6ba84e9

Some people need precussion education with an entrenching tool!