Crazy Ideas in my Head - TDV6/8 110 project

No, it can be a reality, it all comes down to how much money you want to throw at your hobby.

I quickly came to the conclusion that buying pallet engines and trans can be risky so started looking at accident damaged vehicles, this lead me to the conclusion that unless you have a budget of say £6,000 to £8,000 and a time frame of around a year, undercover storage an garage space then rock on.

Salvage from the accident damaged truck might cover the cost of buying it but the time is the bug bare and then hassle of selling the rest off.

Might be worth it?

I don't have the facilities any longer so not a prospect for me at the moment.

Would it not be easier to put a Defender body onto a TDV6 Disco than to put the Disco engine into a Defender?

This. At least you have independent suspension, cornering and brakes to match the engine. keep the wheelbase ( I think a disco3 is 100 inch). drop defender panels on it and a substantial rollcage to return the strength of the mocoque body and you're done.

Sounds easy doesn't it? :SVA go away:

There was a write up in LRO I think it was, a couple of years ago. Someone put aTDV8 into a 90. The company that did the wiring/ecu was BEL. Can't remember what the letters stand for but they still advertise in LRO. The cost was in the 5 to 6K range all in. They fitted a Disco 6 speed manual gearbox as it was so much work to try and get the auto box to work without the rest of the loom etc...

That would be my first choice of motor with an auto box in my 90....

John

There was a write up in LRO I think it was, a couple of years ago. Someone put aTDV8 into a 90. The company that did the wiring/ecu was BEL. Can't remember what the letters stand for but they still advertise in LRO. The cost was in the 5 to 6K range all in. They fitted a Disco 6 speed manual gearbox as it was so much work to try and get the auto box to work without the rest of the loom etc...

That would be my first choice of motor with an auto box in my 90....

John

It was BAS - Bell Auto Services. And it was a 2.7 tdv6.

Wow this thread escalated quickly haha

Its pretty obvious that a lot of you also have similar crazy ideas in your heads and that's great it like one big crazy community :moglite:

thanks for all the info guys you have given me a lot to think about on my current 12 hr night shifts and extra research to do, I looked at the price of palletised engines and they are almost 4K then the loom link you shared is another 4K this is getting expensive quick!!!

I think the idea of an accident damaged one would probably be the most economic way to go, maybe if I could buy a rolled d3 then I could rescue the engine, box and loom then trim it down to suit, and rescue the steering wheel too :ph34r:

the question is where sells a written off disco, when every I look for parts etc. people are only selling the parts and still I cant find any advertisments online so I would need to locate some insurance fed scrapyards and do a lot of mooching.

I wonder if it would be easier and cheap to find a written of jag? I believe the XF uses the same engine and box?

thanks guys

tom

Right, looking at the "Lion" engine range has thrown up other donor possibilities, Peugeot 407 & 607, Citroen C5 & C6, Jaguar XF - XJ & S type.

Of course the usual suspects of the land rover fleet can be used to source one also, if buying an accident damaged one you gain the transmission but that might or might not be interesting, just depends on what you want, cheapest source for the engine and ECU etc will be one of the Pug/Citroen cars that have been written off, at least they will have a realistic price that would be affordable, buying a write off LR with the V6/V8 will be in the region of £6-8,000 depending on how bad they are damaged etc,.

Just need to research a bit more on what systems are involved in the other fitments to ensure viability but already seen a C6 cat B write off for £3000 with rear end damage and light at that, bonus for that would be having intercooler and rads etc, all ready to be used in the conversion should they be required.

Having thought about this I think you are right to do this - we DO need to push the boundaries of what we can transplant into defenders. Being able to MS or loom-lite a modern diesel into an older vehicle is a worthy thing. Once we get the canbus logic out in the open, and onto a laptop or whatever I'm sure we can get ways to pare down a loom without killing the smoothness and versatility of the diesel.

Go for it.

And post it up so we can all chip in and help.

• 1 year later...

Right Guys

As always i am still in search of my perfect house to buy but am getting bored and my wallet is urging me to start a new landy project

so far the ideas i have consist of;

buy a 110

strip it

rebuild on new chassis

with a tdv6 or 8

muahahahahaha

IT is already done in holland a tdv6 /110/rrs and now building a tdv8/110/RRS

GR DEFSPORT

does anyone know of anything i should look into or research to make this project a possibility

i would probably have to buy everything i need to do it and then go for it in one go

also tdv6/8 wise, what gearbox can i attach would it be best sticking with a defender one or get an engine with gearbox?

then probably the most awkward part, the loom argghhhhh haha

obviously taking a rangy look would be a right PITA so would it be possible to get a stand alone edu and either buy or make an engine loom to suit?

thanks

tom

Nice. Me want

Mo

Wy dont you build one iTS a lot of work but iT can be done

Just find a suiteble donor with all the Wheels intact and the cooling compleet

use all the electronics and eliminate what you dont need

I can show you Some pictures .......

Defsport

• Thanks 1

I admire bravery

The TDV6 and TDV8 can be made to run standalone.The level of electronics and system integration will depend on a selection of features.

IE; manual box versus an auto,the type of IP and drivetrain controls.

You can have it as simple as just an engine running with a manual gearbox in a Defender chassis or you can have it all singing and dancing like a Disco or RRS.

The advantage of running an auto-box is the controller gives you the ability to map the torque to suit gear and vehicle speed.(save you a lot of money in broken bits)

Couple of question:

1) If you use the V6 would it be the 2.7L or the 3.0L

2) If you use the V8 would it be the 3.6L or the 4.4L

The reason for my question is simple,the 2.7L and the 3.6L use Siemmens ECU.The 3.0L and the 4.4L use BOSCH

Phantom

Sorry to be late to the party but I've had this idea burbling along in my head for a while. Owning both a 110 and L322 with the 3.6TDV8 have the two components...

I've started doing most of the work on the 322 myself now and the most recent involving changing over the EGR valves prompted me to read into the whole engine management side of things. My approach, had I the space, time and money would actually be to ditch all the electronics from the donor vehicle completely (my background is in electronics and typically of a far greater complication / speed than this).

Reading through the workshop manual and having a reference vehicle available it wouldn't be too difficult to figure out the basics of what the engine would need to run. The complication would likely be in the fine tuning of the timings.

Spin up a custom PCB with probably a small microcontroller and an FPGA to take care of all the timing critical stuff and away you go.

Personally if I was doing this route with the TDV8 then I'd keep the 6HP26X behind it. Hadn't got down to the axle side of things but there are are more knowledgeable people on here than me with regards to that topic.