Garage / workshop alarms

Happyoldgit

Steve,

There are various wireless systems around that are quite good. If you want to fit an alarm which will also notify you of a problem via the phone, but you don't have a line to the garage, there are some good little boxes that send the phone signal through the 240v mains.

I got a cheap one off eBay and wasn't expecting a lot. For under £90 I got an alarm with 8 wired zones and 99 wireless zones. You can put a sim card in it which means it calls you when it's going off, you can control it over the phone and even talk to the thieves as They're pinching your stuff.

It also came with internal and external sounders, 3 wireless pirs 3 wireless door magnets, 2 keyfobs and a wireless smoke alarm.

It's a but Chinese and flaky with dodgy instructions but it's worked faultlessly. I put some of the sensors in the shed at the other end of the garden and it does a sterling job of waking me up at 4 am when the cat get locked in the shed.

its the same as this ebay item 351204443197. They do different kits with different number of sensors.

If that's too spendy in the past I've made my own from car horns, telephone bells, the little push buttons on car doors, switches with bits of string stretched across windows etc.

How about a simple PIR based alarm connected to a couple of theatrical smoke canisters? Very difficult to steal stuff when you can't see it! If you used green smoke and mounted the canisters high up, I think they might reasonably wonder if it was poisonous gas and get out double quick!

I used one in a DIY Car Alarm once - and it was very effective! 10 seconds and you couldnt see your hand in front of your face. After 20 sec, if the PIR still detected movement, it detonated a large ground maroon (Theatrical explosive - makes a flash & a loud bang). Unfortunately when I test fired this, it blew out the windscreen! It was a bit on the large side! It was replaced with the smallest size which I think would still be terrifying inside a smoke filled car. You'd be wondering what was coming next!

Si

If you are outside of a cabled alert solution these are a useful bi directional control module and can be used to remotely keep an eye on things.

We use them to control generator sets deployed many many miles up Norwegian mountains and they are very reliable, flexible and easy to configure.

Get a text to tell you someone is outside , another to tell you they are in.. module can close contacts to turn on lights and bells ( or any other warning of dubious legality )

Turn the heat on an hour before you go to freeze your nuts off rebuilding an axle etc :-)

Won't be to everyone's taste but...

http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/199285/Conrad-GX110-GSM-Remote-Switch-Monitoring-Module?queryFromSuggest=true

How about building a circuit to control a small solenoid triggering a small but noisy air leak from a garage compressor, and then a big flashing sign and klaxon saying GAS ALARM on one wall, that should make 'em run :)

How about building a circuit to control a small solenoid triggering a small but noisy air leak from a garage compressor, and then a big flashing sign and klaxon saying GAS ALARM on one wall, that should make 'em run :)

Nice. Maybe even a few empty bottles lying around with "toxic" on them for effect.... ;)

This is weird !

Ive just signed in to ask the same question !!

Im just in the process of getting a BT phone line C/W broadband installed into my workshop. mobile coverage is carp at the workshop which I thought was great when I first got there but now is just plain frustrating.

My workshop is fairly remote so loud sirens/bells won't alert anyone, although I do think a loud siren inside the workshop could serve as a deterrent and (if loud enough ) help to disorientate the thief (love Simons smoke canister idea)

was going to look for something that would alert me via phone and possibly have a camera system via the internet that I could record and see..

any pointers would be great

Andy

I've got several pukka U.S police / ambulance / fire vehicle sirens and speakers ;) Best one for sheer noise was the full size WW2 air raid siren which would make your ears ring a bit in a confined space, it took two people to lift and was 3 phase.

Some good ideas here although I just don't have time to go building systems so something easy to install, effective and thinking about it may also work in conjunction with other buildings nearby.