Exhaust Experiment

JeffR

So the blue box rear section exhaust fell apart after just over a year and the heap needed one for the MOT at very short notice. So managed to get another blue box one on overnight delivery. What I am thinking of doing is taking a photo of it once a week till it falls apart, perhaps the bods at Britpart may just feel a pang of guilt! First photo tomorrow children, gonna be a fun few months (will order a real exhaust, Bosal) next month!

Didn't get an MOT cos my tyres are stuck in bloody France....

I've had a couple of years out of my britpart diesel exhaust but it's rusting through from the inside now which is both poor and expected.

Next time round I'm going to make my own in stainless and have done with it.

I'm sure it's a 24 hour guarantee, Reb ?

That's nothing Mo. I was desperate today as I go away for the weekend on Friday so don't have time for mail order. I have a leaky hub cap. So... popped to my local land rover Indy in the full knowledge they stock little else than britpart.

2BD11D34-0C05-41C9-AA86-C39D90C1BA8C_zps

Looked reasonable

87628ABC-72EA-4029-9FB7-7D9CA7CE5C84_zps

Been fitted and run for less than ten minutes

AF946BDF-31C7-4184-A0B6-76D1785FC4FA_zps

FFS!!!!!!!!

That's terrible isn't it!! I know you were in a rush, but genuine ones aren't much at all so I don't bother with the aftermarket ones!

Its not good at all. I'll be popping in there when i next pass - money back rather than a swap. I bought two so lucky i had one spare!

Only took 4 1/2 hours...... 4 1/2 bloody hours and the damn thing is still hitting the mudflap bracket.

post-25095-0-85611100-1438269295_thumb.jpg

post-25095-0-95201600-1438269439_thumb.jpg

Couldn't be bothered to take a photo of where the tail pipe is "welded" to the silencer, suffice to say that the intestinal integrity of said chicken is somewhat suspect....

To be balanced and for info, I always use britpart exhausts when I do TDi conversions - it less than 90 quid end to end for a wide bore system on a 90 and the quality has always been good. Had one on my own truck for almost 3 years now and it's still fine.

To be balanced and for info, I always use britpart exhausts when I do TDi conversions - it less than 90 quid end to end for a wide bore system on a 90 and the quality has always been good. Had one on my own truck for almost 3 years now and it's still fine.

I might have mentioned it before but my 90 rebuild was done as my father in law was dying - He and I both wanted to see it on the road before he did and sadly I had to make a couple of compromises to speed things up, the exhaust was one of them.

I bought the setup from Steve Parker and it was indeed Britpart. Its actually THREE years old not two as I originally posted, time flies! and in fairness it fits well and sounds ok. BUT it is rusting now.

I've more time now so will do something better,... but to be fair it wasn't a **** as I expected.

To be fair though, even at 3/4 years it shouldn't be reaching the end of its life, the exhaust on my Volvo is the original so is now 12 years old and apart from being stained by mud and dirt it's as good as the day it left the factory.

My Discovery has a tailpipe that was just a cheapy from eurocarparts, no idea on brand but that still looks like new 14 months on. If you can get a trade discount eurocarparts are actually very good on price.

Without doubt, genuine parts last a long time.

I've just fitted a genuine parts 1995 spec V8 Disco downpipes to my 110. Whether these pipes are 20 years old or not, I cannot prove. They're rusty on the outside but having just cut the cats out of them I can tell you the steel is still very solid. I don't know many folk that would fit an expensive genuine exhaust to an older truck.

By contrast the generic aftermarket pipes on my RRC tended to only last 2-3 years before a silencer falls off. It's a shame there isn't something inbetween quality-wise.

• 2 weeks later...

That's nothing Mo. I was desperate today as I go away for the weekend on Friday so don't have time for mail order. I have a leaky hub cap. So... popped to my local land rover Indy in the full knowledge they stock little else than britpart.

Been fitted and run for less than ten minutesAF946BDF-31C7-4184-A0B6-76D1785FC4FA_zps

FFS!!!!!!!!

I finally took this back yesterday. They offered me a replacement. I was dubious, but the second one I had obtained from them was ok and it seemed useful to have a spare.... Lady went upstairs, found another one (still britpart), brought it to the counter and opened it in front of me. It had a matching star blemish on it. I said 'not that one thanks!'.... She went back upstairs and brought their remaining stock of hub caps down down (all britpart), opening them all, even the best one had the start of a crack! That was about ten packs!

I left with my money back.

Quick update, still no MOT as arthritis has gone on the offensive (try welding whilst on Tramadol - it's bloody interesting) and cannot weld a wee patch on the chassis, exhaust has started to rust (well there's a surprise) on all the welds.