Mach 5 beadlock rebiuld

skauldy

There are atleast two grades of stainless in a4. 70's and 80's, 80's are stronger of the two but I personally wouldn't classify them as equal to 8.8 steel as the two are measured and rated differently however I'm not going to get into the stainless v steel debate as I've made my thoughts known in the past and some will argue till we all get bored.

Mike

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Guys,

Possible stupid question but as they say the only stupid question is the one you haven't asked, so on that note,

The bolts are hex head for the beadlocks, I was thinking going socket head as I think they are neater. Would their be any disadvantages going socket head. They only one I think of that might effect it is possible the bolt seizing and then the head going round on me when trying to take it off. Am I just being total anal on this

you mean A4. a2 is much lower than 8.8 tensile strenght. ;)

A2 and A4 are just the material designation (304 and 316) the number that follows is the ultimate tensile strength so yes an A2-80 or A4-80 will have the same UTS as an 8.8, however the yield strength is much lower, therefore a lower clamping force. As an aside you also have to be careful with high tensile steel fasteners that have been plated, they suffer from hydrogen embittlement if they havent been baked properly (reputable brands are usually fine though).

It's going to be a road truck with as many pay and plays as I can. Truck not going to be used in a winch event etc plus I have a 5th beadlock so if one did pop off I'd just change it and wait till I got home. I got the beadlocks at a steal and always fancied a set. Plus hex heads are for tractors :D

It's going to be a road truck with as many pay and plays as I can. Truck not going to be used in a winch event etc plus I have a 5th beadlock so if one did pop off I'd just change it and wait till I got home. I got the beadlocks at a steal and always fancied a set. Plus hex heads are for tractors :D

As far as I'm aware, bead lockers arnt Road legal.

Beadlocks are technically speaking not legal, due to their tendancy to get undone. This is mainly because of the flat plate version were the bolts don't bottom out. A split rim is indeed legal, and can be fitted with an insert to create a double beadlock. Its a bit of a strange regulation, because if you have a beadlock were the bolt bottoms out, it wont get undone either. Also, from the research I did on banded wheels, I think the illegal thing only starts to become a problem when the beadlock or wheel actually falls off.

Daan