coming back, what are the options?

Nigelw

After a miserable two years my girlfriend wants to come home, no, not miserable with me but work, life, so called friends etc, plus the taxes are crippling on a 200Tdi Discovery :( won't bore with intricacies but it's taken it's toll enough to make such an enormous decision!

Question is, what to do about the Disco exactly? Obviously it will be the barge home but then what?

So much to arrange still but this is something I kind of need an objective view on.

sorry to hear it didnt work out. at least you tried the dream, most dont have the balls to try, me included. cant help with importing the disco back but i wouldnt think it'd be too hard.

We've been over here 8yrs this year, been a hell of a journey, three separate countries and moved house a dozen times climbing the ladders, enough is enough now though. For most foreigners English is their second language, Dutch however isn't mine :( we toyed with Germany a few months back but lack of firm job security scuppered that, I turned down a job for a 4X4 outfitters as we just couldn't make the silly high rents and kings ransom called a deposit in that area, stuck in a catch22 here and the ruts only get deeper :(

After a miserable two years my girlfriend wants to come home, no, not miserable with me but work, life, so called friends etc, plus the taxes are crippling on a 200Tdi Discovery :( won't bore with intricacies but it's taken it's toll enough to make such an enormous decision!

Question is, what to do about the Disco exactly? Obviously it will be the barge home but then what?

So much to arrange still but this is something I kind of need an objective view on.

Nigel, I hate to say this, but: I told you so.....No seriously, if you like cars and hate bureaucracy, holland just isn't for you! there is a reason I fled the place.

Just import the car, it is worth too much for you, and you enjoy reasonable road tax.

What sort of job are you looking for?

Daan

I can turn my hand at anything Daan, probably going to look for a seat back in a digger or heavy machinery, first few months won't be fussed, whatever I can find.

It's not the bureaucracy it's just the cost of living and being on a fixed salary but flexy schedule, tax bill hit the mat this morning, 585 for the first quarter, that means tax for a year is 2360 and my insurance is still 88/mnth.

Looked at jumping back over the border to Belgium where tax is 127.50/yr, but then add up a rent of 800/mnth and 300/mnth in diesel the sums just don't work out on my salary.

Importing looks interesting save for yet more extensive paperwork exercises.

Just downloaded a ton of forms to look through, the rock has one saving grace, no Google translated forms lol

..if you end up in Suffolk or nearby I have a breaker 200Tdi disco in the yard for all the dash bits etc Nigel . I'd suggest getting in touch with Swansea to see what's involved but I can't imagine it will be too hard to sort out

cheers

Steveb

your used to driving on both sides of the road so I suggest you leave it LHD and just use it here for a bit.. I've done it the other way in Norway and you just get used to it - although I'm sorry to say UK traffic and congestion will feel very different to what it was eight years ago.

If you do decide to swap the wheel over I've got a RHD 300TDI which still has some bits on it that might help, just shout out.

No steering box as I've used that and the trim is pretty **** but it might have some usable bits.

• Like 1

Do you have all your relevant competency tickets for 360's and 180's etc. If so I'll send you some contacts for down my way. Somerset is without doubt the place to live

Well I still have the cards although they expired in 2009 :( but I hold NVQs for 360 and loading shovel and these never went out of date ;)

I spent some 10,000hrs in the seat of everything from 750kgs to 90T digger wise, try pulling +/- 10mm formation with a Komatsu PC450 bucket was 3 & 1/2 cube :o mind you, what a challenge ;)

For sure when I get back that side of the canal I will be looking to meet a lot of you, and before I leave ,

NL there are a few I wish to meet before I go!

There are NVQ refreshers for all tickets now - some mandatory some not. But with your experience I can't see a problem with a company bringing you up to scratch. CSCS has become a complete PITA but it's all surmountable.

I'll put out the word to some of my subbies...

Have you ever used a chainsaw in a commercial sense - I might know of a very interesting job...

Would it not be better to sell it there ?

Considered that option, but need it to get home, then getting it back here is just more time money and hassles. Then couple that with it only being worth 2000/2500 euro max kind of says no, as then need to replace it with something as good or better on that budget just ain't gonna happen!!!

Considered that option, but need it to get home, then getting it back here is just more time money and hassles. Then couple that with it only being worth 2000/2500 euro max kind of says no, as then need to replace it with something as good or better on that budget just ain't gonna happen!!!

Cold hearted bar steward... you're telling me you haven't even the smallest bond with your truck!... :P

Chris, it kills me to say that every avenue has to be explored!!!

I think I have grown a stronger bond to the Disco than the girlfriend of late, with her living 80kms away 6days a week :(

You only think you have, for your sanity kill the Disco in the most violent, slow way possible, then burn it, cover the ashes in Holy Water, bury in in consecrated ground and dance on the bloody grave. Retire to the nearest hostelry, get wasted and attempt to forget that LR ever built the 200 Tdi Disco.... Guess who is having a bad day with Discos

You only think you have, for your sanity kill the Disco in the most violent, slow way possible, then burn it, cover the ashes in Holy Water, bury in in consecrated ground and dance on the bloody grave. Retire to the nearest hostelry, get wasted and attempt to forget that LR ever built the 200 Tdi Disco.... Guess who is having a bad day with Discos

Oh dear :(

Just saw your tales of woe Jeff, WTF has got into your Disco Jeff?

Mine decided it wanted a new turbo and new alternator last year, thing is, you just cannot beat a Disco for versatility, on road, off road, tow barge, run around and general hack it does all so easily, just like mine, yours suffered poor ownership for many years before you bought it, poor owners in almost every form surrounded my Disco as the bodges and cheap skate welder were it`s former demise, now rebuilt practically I only find running repairs necessary now.

On the run from taxes now though!