Best way to clean a Defender white roof

What is the best way to clean a white roof? Mine is not overly dirty / a bad one, but wanted to ask, in case there is a best way to clean it, being made of aluminium.

I would have normally just jumped in with some T-Cut or similar, but guess there may be some better advice out there?

Thanks in advance, Jon

Ralph's comment about using warm water is key - it works wonders over cold water.  Don't use washing up liquid - it has lots of salt that degrades the paint and can accelerate corrosion where it pools in cavities.  Use a car shampoo.  

I don't use hot water, but I spray the car with the hose first and let it soak before hosing again to rinse away loose dirt before using the soft brush or sponge with soapy water.  Very dirty areas get a second soapy scrub after rinsing.

Before fitting the roof rack, I used to use a soft broom for the roof, which made the job far easier.  Being white, the roof didn't show the drying marks like the coloured panels, so I never bothered with the chamois up there.

I hose off first and then I use warm water and general all purpose cleaner applied with a wash mitt.

If its a serious clean I follow with traffic film remover and t cut type wax.

I only ever use a pressure washer on the underneath and on the rad if muddy, never on the body panels. Somehow I feel, rightly or wrongly, that the bond between paint and ali, even if etch primed is a fragile thing to batter with a high pressure jet.

I have asked before but does anyone know the paint shade/code for white roofs on TD5 defenders? Some have said Chawton white but I am still not sure.

Cheers

Barry

Never use a pressure washer on the rad or any heat exchanger!  You'll bend the fins and block the airflow through the unit.  They're safe to use on paint, as long as you keep a distance of 12" or so from the nozzle to the panel, but they don't get everything off anyway, so are of little more benefit than a standard hose with decent mains pressure.

The best thing to use to clean a white roof if not overly dirty is a damp cloth and CIF crème cleaner, it will remove the dirt and film but not any of the paint as T-Cut does, clean it in quarters and clean out the cloth your using each time and wipe over the area your cleaning with a clean damp cloth to remove any CIF residue and when you've done the whole roof go over it with a good clear car wax polish. Try it, you'll see that it works. It works on a very dirty roof as well but you have to use more CIF.

CIF crème will not take off any paint neither is it a 'scourer', it does not leave a matte or dull surface, go over the area with a damp clean cloth to remove any residue and then use a wax polish of some sort to buff up, try it and you'll see. What's the point of anyone suggesting a product that they find works very well when others just dismiss it out of hand?

Vander74, T-Cut 'colour match' is a load of rubbish and a waste of money, it will do no more than ordinary T-Cut and certainly will not 'restore' any of the colour of the paint, the only way you can do that is to use a polish such as T-Cut to remove the top dull layer of paint and then use a good  wax polish to buff up but to do it properly and get a good even result you need to use a proper 'mop' on a drill.

1 hour ago, Farmerfred said:

Vander74, T-Cut 'colour match' is a load of rubbish and a waste of money, it will do no more than ordinary T-Cut and certainly will not 'restore' any of the colour of the paint, the only way you can do that is to use a polish such as T-Cut to remove the top dull layer of paint and then use a good  wax polish to buff up but to do it properly and get a good even result you need to use a proper 'mop' on a drill.

Farmerfred - Thanks for your answer