Accident Advice

reb78

My other half had an accident on the M4 on Monday in the disco. She's ok which is the main thing.

The insurance (LV) were very good, had the vehicle (plus her trailer) recovered and have been very helpful all the way through. They are talking about writing the car off, but this is before it has really been assessed. I guess this is due to its age, but at a brief glance, it looks like the bumper and lights will need to be replaced, the bonnet too if we are worried about the small dent. Secondhand parts will be easy to find and make the repair fairly cheap if I were to do it myself.

What are the options now? The vehicle is being moved from Bristol to a repair place localish to us to be properly assessed at our request, but I have no idea what happens next or what our options are. Can anyone tell me?

Fundamentally it is still your vehicle, writing it off doesn't change this.

Without details, it sounds like it would only be a Cat D, but even if Cat C you can still buy back the 'Salvage' for a price the insurance company offer you. This is normally a very good deal if you are a DIYer, then you can use the money from the payout to repair it, and carry on driving. Happy days.

They often don't mention the option to buy back, so do ask once they have made you an offer.

If you want to keep it, ask for the salvage to be returned to you, insurers will retain a part of the cost & give you the balance, then its yours to repair, new mot [if applicable & if insurance requires it to be done] & re insure

Is there normally any great issue insuring a vehicle after it has been declared a Cat D write off? Does this bump up cost etc? It's well maintained and we have a 'better the devil you know' attitude towards our cars. I know of a couple of disco breakers that could supply any parts needed. 

So you can get an idea of the damage:

IMG_4838.thumb.JPG.d9ad5a33bd88664bd0fcc28751855467.JPG

Seems a bit extreme to write it off.

It does seem extreme, but it's the cost of repairs via a professional that does it. Any ideas what the truck was worth?

There's no issues insuring a Cat D, but you are supposed to declare it if you ever sell the vehicle, as in some wild-eyed theory it will affect the vehicle value.

Our 110 was a cat c when I bought it. I repaired it and put it back on the road with no issue they had ditched the vic and the category system as I was just finishing so ended up mot'ing it and insuring job done. I had to apply for the v5 which now states it's been written off and repaired.

Mike

Potentially Neil, yes. I haven't been able to inspect it fully yet. I assume they will look at this as part of their assessment? 

The airbags didn't activate if that gives any idea of the level of impact. The slam panel and radiators/condenser are all intact from my brief look so far.  

I had an Audi "written off" by insurance after a rear shunt, from a Land Rover funnily enough, in very icy and snowy conditions.

I didn't buy it back but the valuation experience was interesting. The ins co. offered an amount. I declined and researched other identical vehicles currently on the market. This is easy with the internet of course. I provided evidence that their offer was too low and they made a second, higher offer. This too wasn't fair in my opinion and I don't know how but I ended up with some guy's phone number at the insurers and we continued the negotiation just as though I was selling.

I got what seemed a fair price which was probably 10-15% higher than where we started.

Hope this helps as you sound as though you may have two numbers on which to agree, write off value and salvage price. 

We had a somewhat similar experience with a Range rover. I found you have to insist on keeping the vehicle to repair it, and let it be known that if they agree you will go away and be quiet. If not you will be difficult. Once I had got the message over I had no trouble at all, and even made a small profit. Because by usual standards it was an old vehicle they seemed to just assume it would be written off. I agreed to accept their offer provided I retained the vehicle to repair and they accepted that, even continuing the insurance cover.

You also don't have to go down the write off and cat D route if you don't want to. You can supply an estimate of the cost of parts, consumables etc. and then fit yourself at no cost. This is likely to come under write off threshold. You can then supply receipts of parts etc. to your insurance company for them to pay you, minus any excess if applicable. 

Obviously, write off pay out will be more, but you won't have cat D this way.

Cheers, Steve 

The insurance companies price repairs up using genuine panels & parts at full MRRP. Hence why what seems minor damage will often result in an older vehicle being written off.

Have been through this process several times & in minor bumps I've always had the car back with a payment from the insurers & done the work myself. Has included doors, wings & bumpers - but not all on the same car!

Never had any issues getting them insured, either with the existing insurer or others, although the on one occasion the existing insurer did want a new MoT.

Great. Thanks for the advice so far. Looking like having it back and fixing on the drive may be the best option - provided the chassis isn't affected. There are a number of D2 breakers, so it should be easyish to get the parts (possibly even in the correct colours!)

Hoping to hear something from the assessors early next week but will chase then if I havent heard anything.

I would wait for their assessment and take it from there but you can buy it back if you wish. It hardly looks touched on the photo but I guess you don't know whats underneath. I would try push them for speed as they sometimes charge recovery and storage which they take into account when discussing fees. Make sure you get all your contents back too whichever way you go with it. Also don't forget the terribly stiff neck that the driver and 6 passengers have developed :rolleyes:

They don't seems as willing to write off these days, someone drove into my grandads concrete garage, hit his 5 year old Honda Jazz that was parked inside and pushed it through the back wall of the garage along with all his tools, lawmower etc that were all infront of the car, all his tins of paint that were stacked in the garage exploded all over the car and finally the garage then collapsed onto the car. It was recovered to the main dealer who said for certain it would be written off, the insurance assessor recommended it was written off but the insurance company instructed the dealer to repair it. It took them months to jig it, replace panels, respray etc but to be fair to them it came back looking like a new car. How that can have been cheaper than a pay out I have no idea!

13 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

Also don't forget the terribly stiff neck that the driver and 6 passengers have developed :rolleyes:

No need to worry about forgetting that.............The ambulance chaser calls will start very soon !

6 hours ago, smallfry said:

No need to worry about forgetting that.............The ambulance chaser calls will start very soon !

I had someone run in the back of my parked car at work..... when their insurance contacted me I nearly hung up on them.Took me a few seconds to realise it was genuine.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to pick up the disco tomorrow. We've hired a trailer for this. I'm used to towing but I've never loaded a car before. Any tips on this - presuming nose first, engine in front of centre with slightly more weight towards the hitch than the rear of the trailer? Any tips?

set the Disco so the trailer rides level, Yes to front end on first. make sure it's well strapped down, AA/RAC use 4 ratchet straps one on each wheel with a choker. or 4 straps to chassis tiedown point then crossed before securing strap to trailer.

plenty of video's on youtube 

The problem I have had just strapping t wheels is the body roll gets quite significant and I once had bad snaking where I swerved to avoid something and the trailer was pushed side to side by the off roader leaning. After that I strapped the rock sliders just enough to stop the roll. That was on an off roader with very soft suspension though so I recon you'd be ok with just the wheels.