6 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Just having a wee think about some weight saving, my fuel tank is made from 3mm stainless, I could make an aluminium tank, with the base being 5mm aluminium, this should save me a fair bit of weight

Regards Stephen

Yes, that would😁

5 minutes ago, hurbie said:

isn't that to stop the tyre rotating on the rim .... i don't see much off road in a go-kart , but i might be wrong ....

No, the bolt's are on the inside of the tyre.  Keeping the loaded side of the tyre to keep air.   8 to 9 psi in a kart tyre.  

Yes, most beadlock are single-sided, but that is usually enough. There are also traction forces to consider, which only go through one side wall in this arrangement.

This can be the result:

image.thumb.png.1da427e7522ee7473e3af0e60e451f92.png

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

57Kg per rim/tyre combo 🤯, they really must be Sid-spec.

Just to add to this, an unmodified unimog rim weighs 25.5kg ( just weighed one ) add another 2kg when made up to Sid spec......

Regards Stephen

• Like 1

My beadlocks are only on the outside, but I don't usually air down so they don't really do a lot.

On Ladoga every time we pushed a tyre off the rim it was always the outside we did about 6 on the event and every time the inside was still on the bead. I have no reason why it's just my experience.

Mike

@Stellaghost how much road is Sid going to see? I made a track rod out of aluminium at a friends, all the ultra4 cars have them and have aluminium trailing arms and they seem to do very well with them. You can shed a whole load of weight there. I think your lightweight must be one of the only actual lightweights out there with all the alli panel work it’s just the axles. I wouldn’t be too bothered though, Sid will still be lighter than the average 90 with all the carp that never gets used bolted to it👍

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, dangerous doug said:

@Stellaghost how much road is Sid going to see? I made a track rod out of aluminium at a friends, all the ultra4 cars have them and have aluminium trailing arms and they seem to do very well with them. You can shed a whole load of weight there. I think your lightweight must be one of the only actual lightweights out there with all the alli panel work it’s just the axles. I wouldn’t be too bothered though, Sid will still be lighter than the average 90 with all the carp that never gets used bolted to it👍

What spec aluminium @dangerous doug to be honest I'm not overly bothered at the moment and certainly not in a rush, unless weigh bridge tells a different story. I would guess ultra 4 axles are a damn sight lighter than my mogs though.     Lol

I possibly may have the only all aluminium bodied lightweight, well until you start yours that is ...

Regards Stephen

Just now, Stellaghost said:

What spec aluminium @dangerous doug to be honest I'm not overly bothered at the moment and certainly not in a rush, unless weigh bridge tells a different story. I would guess ultra 4 axles are a damn sight lighter than my mogs though.     Lol

I possibly may have the only all aluminium bodied lightweight, well until you start yours that is ...

Regards Stephen

The axles may weigh more but I’m sure you won’t be launching sid like those guys do. I’ll ask him what grade when I see him, I know it’s fairly exotic as he hasto go tup north to get it and buy a certain amount in one go for the sale.

you’ll be waiting a while for mine to get done, we were at billing yesterday and there was talks of putting it on a D2 chassis😂

3 hours ago, dangerous doug said:

The axles may weigh more but I’m sure you won’t be launching sid like those guys do. I’ll ask him what grade when I see him, I know it’s fairly exotic as he hasto go tup north to get it and buy a certain amount in one go for the sale.

you’ll be waiting a while for mine to get done, we were at billing yesterday and there was talks of putting it on a D2 chassis😂

7075 I think for the ali links. 

Did I miss something, what's the sudden obsession with shaving weight?

I'd think twice about how much you'd realistically save doing things like an ali tank or ali arms / steering bars, especially when it's low-down weight on stuff that might take a beating.

If you're worried, leave the spare wheel with the tow car that knocks 57Kg off right away :P

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Did I miss something, what's the sudden obsession with shaving weight?

I'd think twice about how much you'd realistically save doing things like an ali tank or ali arms / steering bars, especially when it's low-down weight on stuff that might take a beating.

If you're worried, leave the spare wheel with the tow car that knocks 57Kg off right away :P

Not worried, just thinking about the ongoing evolution of Sid

You wouldn't want me to get bored.......would you ??

Regards Stephen 

• Haha 1

I agree with fridge I don't think weight saving is high priority. Unless it turns out over 2ton when you weigh it. :hysterical:

Definitely needs more travel especially at the front but the longer springs weren't the solution standard height might help. A stronger steering bar sounds like it high on the list though.

Mike

20 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Unless it turns out over 2ton when you weigh it

TBH, I am somewhat expecting this.... There's ~400Kg of extra axle weight, a 200TDI vs a 2.25 petrol and all the nuke-spec stuff going on. A Lightweight is ~1500Kg IIRC, so I'll say around 2095Kg.

Sweepstake anyone? :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

TBH, I am somewhat expecting this.... There's ~400Kg of extra axle weight, a 200TDI vs a 2.25 petrol and all the nuke-spec stuff going on. A Lightweight is ~1500Kg IIRC, so I'll say around 2095Kg.

Sweepstake anyone? :D

My ibex is 2ton so I reckon Sid should be 1925kg.

Mike

Did you actually knock a tyre off the bead? I run 900x16 tractor tubes in basically a 750 so they don't stretch as much and wear on the  ribs on the inside of a tubeless tyre, remember to talc generously when fitting them. you could always put the wheels in the lathe and knurl the bead.

Fitting/losing the spare wheel could be a useful weight distribution tool. if you're not fitting it (and the tools to change it!) then chuck a tin of easy start and a lighter or two in so you can pop a tyre back on should you need to.

I would sort the front steering bar, get your axle weights, chuck some cheap appropriate springs on, get that 200 wound balls out, make sure the oil and water stays in and has the appropriate warning systems working and go do some more testing/playing.

This thread is starting to come over abit willwarne!

just my 2p.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, muddy said:

This thread is starting to come over abit willwarne

What exactly is the issue here ??

From what little I know of the mentioned gentleman,  the feeling I get is that he was glacial, I've never been accused of slow on here..

I am quite happy to terminate the thread if you think that's the right thing to do.....

Regards Stephen 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stellaghost said:

What exactly is the issue here ??

From what little I know of the mentioned gentleman,  the feeling I get is that he was glacial, I've never been accused of slow on here..

I am quite happy to terminate the thread if you think that's the right thing to do.....

Regards Stephen 

Quite the opposite in terms of progress! Some of the comments just made me think some more testing would be worthwhile before spending hours fabricating!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, muddy said:

Quite the opposite in terms of progress! Some of the comments just made me think some more testing would be worthwhile before spending hours fabricating!

Thank you very much for the quick reply

I have to say I tend to agree with you, I think I have been a bit excited and over thinking things

Thanks for your honesty regards Stephen 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Regards Stephen 

Don’t you dare? I’ve referenced it 3 times today to see what I can do about my **** up😂

also, it’s very easy for people who have never seen, let alone driven sid to say what should be done. If you think he needs to go on a diet then go for it, I don’t think anyone is disagreeing with you but some may find it odd you’ve come to the conclusion so early in the build. But weight saving is fairly inexpensive and it makes what power you have go that little further. Good place to start if you feel that’s what’s needed IMO. 

• Like 2