11 minutes ago, cackshifter said:

I do think you might need more than that to secure the cylinder. On the bench fine, but under battle conditions it might get tossed around a bit, the dogs might put some force on it etc.

Absolutely, on a prior post I mentioned making a crush tube that will be held in position by the hub pressing onto it and therefore putting pressure onto cylinder to hold it firm regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost

Nice work! could you tack a piece of sacrificial flat bar with a 1/4 hole in the centre across the bulb to centre the holesaw? might be more work depending how long the plasma clean up operation took.

Might be worth seeing what the minimum pressure required is to try and keep reliability, nothing worse than blowing your ring out!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, muddy said:

Nice work! could you tack a piece of sacrificial flat bar with a 1/4 hole in the centre across the bulb to centre the holesaw? might be more work depending how long the plasma clean up operation took.

Might be worth seeing what the minimum pressure required is to try and keep reliability, nothing worse than blowing your ring out!

Thank you

Even with the holesaw there is still more material to move and clean up, still a good idea to be stored away.

Seals will hopefully be OK,  rings are 3mm diameter  and there is 0.5 mm gap for them to force out, couldn't go any less as difficult to get thing together, also been using my garage compressor which delivers a lot more air and they have been fine, its a bit suck it and see, I'm quite sure there will be some fine tuning for the whole of the build once used in anger, it all looks fine and dandy on the bench but we all know used in anger can be a totally different story regards Stephen 

15 minutes ago, elbekko said:

So we should stop giving you silly ideas? :ph34r:

Eh........

no.......

silly ideas can bear fruit, just have to convert silly into a workable...........

On the other hand it you don't want this thread to end......................lol

Regards Stephen

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

On the other hand it you don't want this thread to end......................lol

We do and we don't! It is great seeing all the engineering ideas but equally I am sure a lot of us are looking forward to seeing these under the Landy 🙂

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

We do and we don't! It is great seeing all the engineering ideas but equally I am sure a lot of us are looking forward to seeing these under the Landy 🙂

Must admit I'm very keen to get them under the lightweight regards Stephen

• Like 2

On 1/18/2022 at 2:16 PM, CwazyWabbit said:

I guess another hidden advantage of the cylinder being inside the axle is the axle breather should be kept clear :) 

Came back to this, air from pneumatic cylinder is exhausted back at the ARB compressor and not into the axle case so will not keep axle breather clear unfortunately, I'm also pretty sure some of the unimog variants run air braking systems so plenty of available air to use on pressuring up axle cases and gearboxes regards Stephen 

• Like 1

Small job today too much other work on

Rolled a piece of aluminium for my crush tube to keep pneumatic cylinder in place

20220121_122700.thumb.jpg.5365dabe51855ae50c48bbbba46bbebf.jpg

20220121_125818.thumb.jpg.821044e8f13b811ba9589fae3526974f.jpg

20220121_130122.thumb.jpg.e99a80459d2ef9f1a033fcf79ff4d324.jpg

Steady away reducing diameter bit by bit

20220121_130918.thumb.jpg.def2e52fdfddebff6d8f97b9b48c280e.jpg

20220121_132607.thumb.jpg.61ab6fad999d2e37d4a6e1efc152e32b.jpg

Jubilee clip holding seams together, nice neat fit into axle tube and its also light lol, just needs tigging and cutting to finished length

20220121_132624.thumb.jpg.a4c1bbd70979e56949bedfe1828b379d.jpg

regards Stephen 

• Like 4

Staggering engineering and ingenuity Stephen. 44 pages took some catching up on!

I don't know if your research has turned this up but there are 2 different styles of ring and opinions used in 404's one style has a very odd ring gear design that breaks quite easily.  I can't tell from the pics which style yours is.

Earlier in the thread (page19) you asked if anyone had lightened or broken an axle case. I've never lightened one but I have broken 1.  And repaired anothe that tibus offroad built, theres snapped in the middle where they'd done a shoddy job of joining the case. Mine cracked the outer under a suspension bracket then broke the inner tube off at the end where I'd welded it.

The roller bearing you lost (and found) can be bought by the hundred from any bearing supplier. All the seals and bearings are pretty standard and easily available. I think the exception is the little rubber top hats that link the grease paths in the cv joints.

I really like your diff lock setup, very clever and not too dissimilar to the sliding setup in a g wagon axle, although the cylinder is on the outside on those.

One problem I've come across myself and with others when air actuating the diff lock, the dogs can sit on top of each other with the force of the cylinder holding them there until it slips in when a wheel breaks free. This then smashes the dog to pieces.

A friend of mine converted his to cable with a spring setup like standard. As he claims to be able the "feel" them in. And hasn't broken the diff lock since.

I'd be interested to see how your front 1 link looks complete. But from your description I think your overthinking the bushing needed, I've ran them directly welded to the axle cases for years with a ballistic joint at the chassis end

https://www.ballisticfabrication.com/products/3-0-ultra-duty-ballistic-joint

On my patrol, I run a ballistic joint at the chassis, and I've bolted the 1 link onto the radius arm brackets without any brushing, I've done about 40k road miles in it over 7 years and as regards NVH I can't tell the difference, there is no harshness at all. 

the loss of roll resistance in the suspension takes a lot of adjusting to though. 

• Thanks 1