On 9/19/2022 at 8:07 PM, Bowie69 said:

With 12" travel on little green thing and quite fat shocks there is plenty of room in the holes in the upper spring seat tis why I suggested the possibility :)

Have you had it at full flex to see how close things get

Regards Stephen

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

Just read the Will Warne thread, what a crying shame it never got completed, some fantastic work there and certainly not always glacial.

Rest assured mine will be completed regards Stephen

Agreed ref Wills build, a shame the build was not prototyped - he was pretty competitive when it was pre tear down from what I recall. 

Chris Abel was also developing a sort of proto buggy based on LR chassis and parts that never really stretched it's legs properly at the same time too.

Steve

3 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Have you had it at full flex to see how close things get

Regards Stephen

I confess I haven't, but it was used in anger pre-me, and I have hammered it across some pretty bumpy white roads (gravel and pot holes) and no witness marks.

I dang forgot to photo them again :( 

9 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

I confess I haven't, but it was used in anger pre-me, and I have hammered it across some pretty bumpy white roads (gravel and pot holes) and no witness marks.

I get that, however my argument would be that if it's hammered over bumps at speed it's not getting down to the bottom and therefore not getting full articulation, speed helps to level the bumps out as your skimming over them, you could bottom out the suspension at speed but again both shockers compressing in alignment and the little green thing has been built for speed prior to you, I'm more into rough terrain handled at a lower speed but necessitating full movement at all angles to drive over if you get my drift regards Stephen

13 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Just read the Will Warne thread, what a crying shame it never got completed, some fantastic work there and certainly not always glacial.

Rest assured mine will be completed regards Stephen

I think Will was too ambitious with his build, wanting 100% on every aspect, whereas if he'd gone for 90% percent you can achieve it in about half the time and effort.

If he'd settled for a bit less perfection, it would have finished for sure.

Many builds end like this unfortunately.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Daan said:

I think Will was too ambitious with his build, wanting 100% on every aspect, whereas if he'd gone for 90% percent you can achieve it in about half the time and effort.

If he'd settled for a bit less perfection, it would have finished for sure.

Many builds end like this unfortunately.

Living miles from the workshop and then having a family didn’t help either :( 

7 minutes ago, steve b said:

What's stopping you then? 

6 months of house refurb, then that overlapped with a metal period at work which is almost coming to an end.... working the majority of weekends since christmas :(. Promotion in the middle of the engineering break hasn't helped either.

Edited to add, that's why I've abandoned my thread for over a year now as I was fed up of reminders that I'd not been able to do anything.

Just now, Bowie69 said:

Take two weeks holiday, spend one with your feet up, and one getting the workshop back to a functioning state and start tinkering :) 

Life's not worth living for work.

Once we're back in operations I can. Hence still having 35 days leave left :lol:. Didn't even get away over the summer whilst the mrs was off school (primary teacher), so october half term is holiday with her! 

3 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Living miles from the workshop and then having a family didn’t help either :( 

If you have kids you need the project at home so you can grab an hour or so when the kids are asleep. That's all I do these days.

• Like 1

Had a bit play today with rear suspension 20220921_134951.thumb.jpg.424b424c1c80c53dadd5dbd9be4d3c36.jpg

20220921_134955.thumb.jpg.8eb7e02370e525571b488e872e790e2b.jpg

20220921_134959.thumb.jpg.4d767b2e8c4bb5c6e8445fc5c6269fb6.jpg

so with this mod I found out the shocks have more dampening power when upright,  so I may need softer springs as they did not compress as much as before

Took the compressed spring out and we have this

20220921_141557.thumb.jpg.8623a013b8fb22b36cc78cb9e1076411.jpg

20220921_141608.thumb.jpg.9e96d4e7874f6a1a4d21265e9a600a8d.jpg

rear wheel is now 42" off the ground as appose to 36 before, it won't go quite that far with springs back in 

Thoughts as always regards Stephen 

20220921_135009.jpg

• Like 2

That's exactly what Gon2far did I remember reading about it

Not really going to be able to move bottoms out but I can move tops in a wee bit, although I might wait as once recovery gear, winches, roll cage etc are back on weight is going to increase substantially regards Stephen