3 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

So on that, is there no scope to fit the shocks inside the springs?

Initially my shocks were outboard of the front springs towards the front of the axle, part of the reason I've picked to install them behind the springs towards the centre of the vehicle is due to the length of the new shocks, I will have to cut the wings to install them however the tops will remain hidden by the bonnet, if I mount in the original shock position I think they will come through the wings in line with the bonnet folds, therefore I would have wings and bonnet to modify. I will check this in more detail before I commit to making trial brackets to mount shocks in original position within the coils regards Stephen

4 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Reasoning ?

Could certainly try, clamping springs at top will be a bit more awkward 

Are we talking front only or all ?

Regards Stephen 

If they'll fit in there at the front (clearing whilst articulating) you'll gain some tyre clearance. 

Yours are 16" travel right? I suspect you might struggle. with it hitting the inner edge at full droop. With mine I've also had to bias the turrets to the inside closer to the chassis rail to enable the top of the tyre to tip inwards.

46 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

If they'll fit in there at the front (clearing whilst articulating) you'll gain some tyre clearance. 

Yours are 16" travel right? I suspect you might struggle. with it hitting the inner edge at full droop. With mine I've also had to bias the turrets to the inside closer to the chassis rail to enable the top of the tyre to tip inwards.

14" travel @landroversforever regards Stephen

Yeah, just one less thing in the way?

Back and front why not, that is how the little green things is on 12" shocks...

My shock tops are just inside the bonnet bump round the edge, but whether the bonnet is in a stock position is another question of course.  

2 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

@landroversforever Did you go out with the coils then regards Stephen

Spring seats are in their stock position and the shocks stand behind them. At ride height they lean slightly forwards. Not had time to touch it in over a year, but from memory I just need to tickle the lip on the side of the spring seat slightly.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Could you possibly post a picture of your rear shock set up please regards Stephen 

Will grab one tomorrow, but it is just a shock inside the spring, with a couple of tabs welded to the spring plate pointing upwards.

Top mounts to a horizontal cage bar, again with two tabs.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bowie69 said:

Will grab one tomorrow, but it is just a shock inside the spring, with a couple of tabs welded to the spring plate pointing upwards.

Top mounts to a horizontal cage bar, again with two tabs.

I take it goes through the rear tub ? Regards Stephen

I can’t see how the hole in the spring seat allows enough deflection movement of the shock body side to side with 14” of travel and plus you need to re think the re location cones.

perhaps take the shocks off, cycle the suspension until the wheels/tyres touch or the arms max out and then offer up the shock/brush shaft cut to length in various places to see how it fits.

If you arnt changing your wheel offset (and this is what is the binding point) I think tipping the top of the shocks in slightly is going to be the best compromise. If the build criteria is ‘lightweight silhouette’ and ‘fits through a field gate’ you might have to compramise with 12” of travel.

Just my 2p as an opinion to stop this turning too ‘WillWarne’ like

24 minutes ago, muddy said:

I can’t see how the hole in the spring seat allows enough deflection movement of the shock body side to side with 14” of travel and plus you need to re think the re location cones.

perhaps take the shocks off, cycle the suspension until the wheels/tyres touch or the arms max out and then offer up the shock/brush shaft cut to length in various places to see how it fits.

If you arnt changing your wheel offset (and this is what is the binding point) I think tipping the top of the shocks in slightly is going to be the best compromise. If the build criteria is ‘lightweight silhouette’ and ‘fits through a field gate’ you might have to compramise with 12” of travel.

Just my 2p as an opinion to stop this turning too ‘WillWarne’ like

11 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

With 12" travel on little green thing and quite fat shocks there is plenty of room in the holes in the upper spring seat tis why I suggested the possibility :)

Will have a measure up on Wednesday

I do want to maintain the present width and keep the lightweight silhouette

Front shock tops also need to remain under the bonnet, but I'm not against cutting the rear tub if I have to

Ideally if someone walked last they would only say, he's put bloody big tyres on that where as someone with knowledge would take in the other differences and hopefully say that has been subtly done

I don't want an obviously big monster truck and I also don't want suspension bulges / turrets sticking out in the open screaming " look at me" as far as possible I will not compromise on these things

Set up is not that far away at present but obviously still needing work, it's all moot until my days off starting Wednesday regards Stephen

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Daan said:

Not sure Stephen knows who Will Warne actually is.

Bloody hard work normally. :rofl: Will was a shires member and on here he had lots of ideas for building a truck bought lots of bits then changed his mind and sold some of it again for the next great idea. Unfortunately he never really made much progress, he is a genuinely nice guy though I have seen him for years. Oh and he had a welding pigeon. :ph34r:

Mike

25 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Stephen’s work rate and completion rate puts him in another league.

I wouldn’t confuse challenges along the way with confidence in getting it done.

Many many challenges overcome here already - with great ingenuity and at pace. 

Will Warne’s truck was glacial - Stephen rebuilt his chassis in 3 days. 

Imagine what could be achieved if you locked him and @Soren Frimodt in the shed for a while😂

• Haha 2