New to me toys

16 minutes ago, elbekko said:

That tyre inflator might do one of your Mog tyres in a month or so :ph34r:

I will let you know after I've done some real world testing, goes up to 150psi so I'm hopeful, Sid will not need it as he has on-board air

Regards Stephen

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, steve b said:

Very nice Stephen, having a dedicated non-ferrous welding plant is a good move. I've seen some spool gun set ups with variable wire speed controlled on the torch trigger which can be handy on ally.

Steve 

Wire feed and power are controlled on the gun, been after a spool gun for a while for dedicated use as you stated

It has 4 power settings I had it on 2 for a quick play with the gasless wire that was already in it, welded 3mm no problem, the only problem being I don't like gasless wire

Regards Stephen

39 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

I'm really interested to see how that works, as have been tempted in the past.

Does it need pure argon? Or how does the gasless weld?

Gasless welding is with flux cored wire

I will be connecting it to pure argon for aluminium and Stainless steel

Will have a play at some point soonish to see how it gets on

Regards Stephen

26 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Auto corrupt. 

I don't do enough to justify argon and Ali kit. It would be nice, though.

You can pick stuff up reasonably if your patient

This set up cost me ÂŁ235 second hand, Butters welders are quite high end so was happy to pay this

A 10 litre bottle of pure argon costs me ÂŁ70 for the gas with a one off bottle deposit, refundable, of ÂŁ80

So not that bad if you compare it to farming work out

Could probably have not needed to bother buying this set up as I have a tig, but it just makes my welding set up more versatile if you get what I mean

Regards Stephen

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Probably one of those things where once you’ve got it you’d find many more uses for it. 

I wish I had it for my bulkhead build it would have been great for some tight inside corners

Regards Stephen

5 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Probably one of those things where once you’ve got it you’d find many more uses for it. 

Well. That's true. And I was thinking exactly that.  But I am not short of things to do.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

A 10 litre bottle of pure argon costs me ÂŁ70 for the gas with a one off bottle deposit, refundable, of ÂŁ80

7 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Who do you use for gas Stephen? And how big a cylinder?

You already read it Ross........lol

Regards Stephen

1 hour ago, Gazzar said:

Auto corrupt. 

I don't do enough to justify argon and Ali kit. It would be nice, though.

Your mig would do it you would only need to get gas, aluminium wire and a Teflon liner for your mig torch, it can be a pain to set up but doable, have done this in the past before I bought my tig

Regards Stephen

• Thanks 1

Not so much toys for me but a tool I made for the builders.

IMG_20230209_095857_502(1).thumb.jpg.20852c6b1d99d838f7190d0a7df90437.jpg

We've got (on this window) two 4.5m long, 12x6" timber lintels that need replacing, unfortunately previous owners of our house basically bodged and patched things which meant some rather substantial oak lintels got damp and thus need replacing. So after propping up the wall above with a plethora of acrows and strongboys the builders cut out the old lintel with a chainsaw near the wall but still had the two ends to dig out. I proposed a faster solution and rummaging in my scrap pile found a perfect I beam that I cut 4" off the end of it and cut in half. Some drilling of holes later, love these Dewalt Extreme 2 drill bits*, and pinching a couple of shackles off the Defender resulted in two plates that could be screwed in to the two remaining bits of lintel with 6 foot long wood turbo wood screws (8mm hex head on them) each. Little ratchet winch between them and voila out popped on end. Relocated the bracket to the lintel left in-place and out popped the other, builders loved them as it made it so easy.

I suspect the outer ones are going to need winching from the JCB as we don't have anything timber left to fix to (replacing with 4.2m precast concrete lintels - biggest you can get off-the-shelf).

* Self piloting up to 13mm and no need for preliminary holes. They like going fast too - make drilling holes in steel so much faster.

71sTTEVK73L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

3 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

They will be a bit of a pig to sharpen...

Regards Stephen

I find I tend to snap them first. They're incredibly hard but consequently quite brittle and have a tendency to snap when breaking through as they grab.

The amount of time they save I'm happy with the odd breakage.

3 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

I find I tend to snap them first. They're incredibly hard but consequently quite brittle and have a tendency to snap when breaking through as they grab.

The amount of time they save I'm happy with the odd breakage.

I suppose they could be sharpened conventionally depending upon where they snap

Regards Stephen

My latest tool purchase was a bit of an indulgence. A custom made diff flange tool. 

From a guy on eBay who worked up the measurements and cut to fit.

Designed to just take the impact socket, so the tool acts as a shoulder for the socket, less risk of cam out, if I wasn't using the impact gun.

IMG_20230213_180547.jpg

IMG_20230213_180534.jpg

IMG_20230213_180811.jpg

IMG_20230213_180820.jpg