New to me toys

4 hours ago, elbekko said:

I've seen people convert those bandsaws so they can also be used as a vertical bandsaw. Seems pretty useful.

My floor standing bandsaw converts to vertical with a vice mounted table I made, very quickly and easily regards Stephen

On 12/17/2022 at 5:04 AM, Stellaghost said:

will help me at some point in the future when I have a go at making hydraulic bump stops regards Stephen 

Oooo will be real interested in that one....... 
I got a cheap tool post grinder a few yrs back for the lathe and haven't done anything with it lol 

There were some cheap mills going near me last week, auction of a local machine shop that went bust. couple of Bridgeports for about 1000 each, two KRV 3000 in good shape only went for about 700 each (plus VAT), if I had any where to store them and power them (KRV300 is a 5hp motor) I would have been tempted to put a bit in. Couple of Triumph  2000's with taper turners only went for 1500 each. They need to be shifted out the workshop and loaded by the buyer and were down in the SW which I assume must have put people off, I had expected a dealer would have bid more than that just to move them on. I got a few machine vices, a bunch of acytal and a couple of lots of random duplex bar.

9 minutes ago, sean f said:

There were some cheap mills going near me last week, auction of a local machine shop that went bust. couple of Bridgeports for about 1000 each, two KRV 3000 in good shape only went for about 700 each (plus VAT), if I had any where to store them and power them (KRV300 is a 5hp motor) I would have been tempted to put a bit in. Couple of Triumph  2000's with taper turners only went for 1500 each. They need to be shifted out the workshop and loaded by the buyer and were down in the SW which I assume must have put people off, I had expected a dealer would have bid more than that just to move them on. I got a few machine vices, a bunch of acytal and a couple of lots of random duplex bar.

Found out this week that my old mill in my last department was sold earlier this year for £1150 :( 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

Showed this to my wife, told her this was the standard I expected. She said "a lathey thing, we've got chairs like that!".

Ah well.

My good lady works on the theory that it's better to get something I want as appose to a load of carp that I do not want and will not use regards Stephen

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

That is lovely / what sizes does it do ? It looks massive ? 

It's not massive at all, picture is deceiving, it seems to be well made with dies that could go as small as 15mm, ideal for heater hoses. I would say it would manage aluminium and copper pipe champion but I'll let you know when I've had a bit play regards Stephen

58 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

It's not massive at all, picture is deceiving, it seems to be well made with dies that could go as small as 15mm, ideal for heater hoses. I would say it would manage aluminium and copper pipe champion but I'll let you know when I've had a bit play regards Stephen

Had a better look, it can go as small as 6mm internal diameter

Regards Stephen

• Like 2

This bit ?

20230106_073914.thumb.jpg.a735093e2eec6a8acf992266b470d5c5.jpg

I was also stumped with that

however having had a bit play I think it's for deburring the inside of the pipe prior to putting a bead on, very happy to be corrected on this

It fits into the device like So

20230106_073933.thumb.jpg.85236a80452de2705d6147129dffd9e3.jpg

This is my explanation, as I said I may not be right

I've placed a pen on the blue foam to put device size into perspective 

20230106_084016.thumb.jpg.7e9da43515c550e8554bdd17aedb18de.jpg

Regards Stephen 

• Like 1