New to me toys

• 4 months later...

Got my wee Gaston Dufour mill up and running today off an 11kW static phase converter. Motor sounds happy enough on setting 5 of 8 at least with the spindle and slow traversing going. Try the fast traverse and it's not happy.

There's an 28kVA gennie outside which can power it for bigger jobs but at least this means I don't have to fire that up for quick jobs.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of my friends has that exact chainsaw.  He loves it - despite previously having scoffed at electric chainsaws - calling them Fisher Price Saws.

He mainly uses it for firewood - but says he's amazed how capable & versatile it is or a relatively small saw.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, simonr said:

One of my friends has that exact chainsaw.  He loves it - despite previously having scoffed at electric chainsaws - calling them Fisher Price Saws.

He mainly uses it for firewood - but says he's amazed how capable & versatile it is or a relatively small saw.

That's good to hear, not really used it in anger as yet, just a couple of cuts which it did easily, one thing I do like is it's very quiet. There are better chainsaws in the reviews I looked at but I already run a Milwaukee platform so it just made sense to go with this 

Regards Stephen

• Like 1

I would have had one had they been created when I was in the market for one. As it was I ended up getting the little Husky.

By all accounts the Milwaukee runs rings around the Sthil offering and is ahead of the Husqvarna by quite a way. Basically Husky and Sthil don't have the investment that Milwaukee do in a battery platform or motors so that's where it's pulling ahead quite substantially.

I have the Stihl AK battery chainsaw and it works very well with good battery life.

I now also have the strimmer, pole saw + extension, hedge cutter and pole hedge cutter with the extension . All very well balanced and plenty of power.

I've not used any of the old 2 stroke gear since.

Steve

An electric chainsaw is very nice. I bought a very cheap (wired) one a few years ago. It has more than enough power, and it's great that it's quiet and the chain stops instantly. The biggest issue that one has is that there's only one bolt to hold the blade on, so it likes to move...

I've the Lidl single battery saw. For a consumer product it's genuinely useful, I use it as a pruning saw. Worrying amount of plastic gears, but it's still working.

But I'm seriously considering increasing my investment in Milwaukee stuff, the Lidl stuff is good enough, but my batteries are starting to fail after four years or so, and its the electronics, not the cells, that are failing. That annoys me. So, as I've also got some Milwaukee stuff, time to pivot on the heavily used tools.