New to me toys

40 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

🤔 although I'd wonder if just threading in a flat-nosed grub screw from the side would work well enough...

That would work, although I would use a couple of grub screws, alternatively you could  cut a bolt down to give a half round section and braze/ solder into position..

Regards Stephen

10 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Pondering how one would DIY that D shaped hole now 🤔 although I'd wonder if just threading in a flat-nosed grub screw from the side would work well enough...

Cut the edge off a bolt or suitable round thing with a hacksaw and tack it in inside the round hole. If you drill in the side perpendicular to the hole then you could also plug weld it.

• 1 month later...

Not mine I hasten to add, a new toy work has purchased, but I thought it would be of interest 

20240124_051414.thumb.jpg.d0c93bb090108334517dadccd5914d3a.jpg

20240124_051424.thumb.jpg.8a3d683a17d1168d2378228deef71579.jpg

20240124_051433.thumb.jpg.0b0d238dd58e9760ed0eee7db11e7087.jpg

Its a SIP cordless battery welder  does 3.2mm rods no problem. Ive been told it can do up to 20 of this size rod before needing  recharged 

Not cheap mind, pretty sure I heard a figure of around £1500

However very handy to carry around at only 15kg

Regards Stephen 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Not mine I hasten to add, a new toy work has purchased, but I thought it would be of interest 

20240124_051414.thumb.jpg.d0c93bb090108334517dadccd5914d3a.jpg

20240124_051424.thumb.jpg.8a3d683a17d1168d2378228deef71579.jpg

20240124_051433.thumb.jpg.0b0d238dd58e9760ed0eee7db11e7087.jpg

Its a SIP cordless battery welder  does 3.2mm rods no problem. Ive been told it can do up to 20 of this size rod before needing  recharged 

Not cheap mind, pretty sure I heard a figure of around £1500

However very handy to carry around at only 15kg

Regards Stephen 

Everyone else has been using two car battery's and a set of jump leads for years....:hysterical:

Mike

Doesn't look like you can swap the battery packs out - there was a discussion over on mig-welding about them and that was the main criticism about all of them, you can't buy separate batteries so you can have one set on charge whilst you're using the other one. Imagine they're great in certain situations but I can imagine the frustration when you need another half a rod to finish a job and now you have to wait a few hours for it to charge up.

32 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

Doesn't look like you can swap the battery packs out - there was a discussion over on mig-welding about them and that was the main criticism about all of them, you can't buy separate batteries so you can have one set on charge whilst you're using the other one. Imagine they're great in certain situations but I can imagine the frustration when you need another half a rod to finish a job and now you have to wait a few hours for it to charge up.

ESAB do one which takes the DeWalt flexvolt 54V batteries so they can be swapped out. 

image.png.2eca7390d7342c2a9995498e5194cce4.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, muddy said:

£20 says when Stephen fishes it out the scrap bin in a year or two, possibly due to a duff battery it will get a replaceable conversion!

Ahhh you know me too well....

Guess I'm pretty predictable ...lol 

Regards Stephen 

Over the years I've fished a Makita 6" battery skill saw (duff brushes), a 240v Fein saw (supplied parts to fix mine) and a Makita battery angle grinder (couldn't find anything wrong) out of the metal skip. So Stephen your not alone.

Mike

On 1/25/2024 at 6:43 AM, miketomcat said:

Over the years I've fished a Makita 6" battery skill saw (duff brushes), a 240v Fein saw (supplied parts to fix mine) and a Makita battery angle grinder (couldn't find anything wrong) out of the metal skip. So Stephen your not alone.

Mike

Sounds like you're a fully qualified Womble Mike 😁

Skip diving is addictive. I used see then at work full of scrap. 

There's only so much you can bring  before the bus driver says no.

• Haha 1