Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

I think the 90 works for two people and as a family car in general use, but I remember going from Bedford to Bristol for Christmas with a family of four, two dogs, their crates for night, and packed for a week, plus a small amount of gifts for the relatives.  To call it a squeeze would be understatement.  Now the kids are grown up, it might be more practical, but I’d not have a 2 seater and a 2+2 seater would still benefit  from a bit more space than the 90 had.  But I can see why some would find the 110 too big; its extra length makes a big difference for parking and small space manoeuvring.

7 hours ago, simonr said:

Buying a 2 seat LWB just combines the worst of everything (for me).  A 90 / 100 with 4 usable seats would be perfect - and that's kind of why I have a RR, but it's still not as practical, utilitarian a vehicle as the Defender was.

Horses for courses - a two seat LWB is second only to a three seat one for my use.  I need to carry myself, sometimes a friend, an option for a second friend, dogs or chainsaws in the back and a bed/kitchen for the travels I dream about much and occasionally actually do.  Back seats just get in the way.  Even when I drove Range Rovers, I took the back seats out...

I've owned both multiple times over and I always kept the 110's longer. Doing what I did the additional internal loadspace and better towing characteristics were an advantage over the slightly better nippiness and manoeuvrability of the 90's [same applied to the Series I had before the coilers]. I was never a fan of nausea inducing side facing seats nor the forward facing loadspace seats in the first 110 XS Puma I had, subsequent Puma's were all 110 XS USW's.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, by modern standards, that looks very good.  Look how straightforward access is to the radiators and coolers, for example. Everything else looks nicely laid out.  They have clearly thought a lot about this.  Don't get me wrong, I hate complexity more than most and prefer my Land Rover engines to be pre-1985.  However, given how things are these days, that is a lot better than most.

Looking a bit harder, I am intrigued by that seal around the bonnet edge.  Can't say I've seen that before.

Edited by deep
added words

The seal is probably aero and noise, or perhaps just because all the doors have double seals, so let's add one to the bonnet!

Those pictures are apparently the diesel engine, so as complex as it gets. I'm still struggling with the big plastic bit on the top - I don't like covers.

There is still stuff they are keeping quiet, the actual Cd, I presume it will be better than the old Defender, I'd love to see the crash test videos; apparently they are very good compared to other large 4x4s.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest press release being rehashed around the world. The video released at the same time, (to provide B-Roll for all of the media outlets), is not on YouTube yet and is too big to post directly on here, so I will add it if and when I am able. (The full quality version is 1.53Gb, the low res version is 32Mb). 

EMBARGOED UNTIL 00:01 GMT ON 16 FEBRUARY 2022

HAMBACH PLANT IS ‘GRENADIER READY’ AS INEOS AUTOMOTIVE COMPLETES TRANSITION TO FULLY OPERATIONAL OEM 

·         The first production try-out Grenadiers are rolling off the line at INEOS Automotive’s state-of-the-art Hambach plant in preparation for launch series vehicles in July 

·         INEOS acquired Hambach from Mercedes-Benz in January 2021 and is investing in facilities and the highly skilled workforce to build on the site’s long-standing reputation 

·         Hambach is only 200km from INEOS Automotive’s operational base in Stuttgart  

·         Customers will be able to finalise orders online or with their local retailer from April   

London, 16 February 2022 – Production prototypes rolling off the line at INEOS Automotive’s Hambach plant signal the final stage in the company’s transition from ‘project’ to automotive manufacturer.

Since acquiring Hambach in January 2021, INEOS has invested over €50m in addition to the €470m invested in 2019 by Mercedes-Benz in an all-new production line. The line now dedicated to the Grenadier includes a new fully-automated bodyshop, a new semi-automated paintshop, and an upgraded general assembly facility. Hambach also benefits from a new high-tech quality assessment centre.

Having taken just 12 months to reconfigure the new line for the Grenadier, INEOS is nearing the end of a first production try-out (PTO1) phase. Building 130 PTO1 Grenadiers is crucial for defining the assembly process and also provides the engineering team with production-representative vehicles for final rounds of testing and certification.

The PTO2 phase starts in March to validate the assembly process and build quality, before production of launch series vehicles proves out the supply chain, logistics, and build rate.

In parallel, preparations in all commercial parts of the business continue at pace to ensure INEOS is ready for customers. Over 100 sales and service partners around the world have been nominated, and contracts have been signed with parts distribution and retail finance partners.

“Some 15,000 customers worldwide have reserved their Grenadier,” said Dirk Heilmann, CEO of INEOS Automotive. “We want to deliver a vehicle that’s ready, and we won’t cut corners. With the benefit of the highly skilled and experienced team at Hambach, as well as the expertise in safety and quality that we have employed, we are on target to begin series production in July.”

Full pricing and specifications will be announced in April 2022, when customers in Europe, Africa, Asia Pacific and the Middle East can finalise their orders either directly with INEOS online, or via their local retailer. North America will follow later this year.

-Ends-

Contact details: 

Sarah Pelling, Head of PR, INEOS Automotive 

+44 (0) 7887 451773   

sarah.pelling@ineos.com 

Matt Moore, PFPR Communications

+44 (0) 7715 075992

matt.moore@pfpr.com  

About INEOS Grenadier 

In 2017, INEOS Chairman Jim Ratcliffe, a car enthusiast and experienced adventurer, identified a gap in the market for a stripped back, utilitarian, hard-working 4x4 engineered for modern day compliance and reliability. INEOS Automotive Limited was formed and a senior team of automotive professionals assembled to bring the vision to reality with a fresh perspective of 4x4 development and manufacturing. 

Combining rugged British spirit and design with German engineering rigour, the Grenadier will be a truly uncompromising 4x4 built from the ground up. Engineered to overcome all conditions, it will provide best-in-class off-road capability, durability, and reliability to those who depend on a vehicle as a working tool, wherever they are in the world. 

INEOS Automotive is a subsidiary of INEOS Group (www.ineos.com), a leading manufacturer of petrochemicals, speciality chemicals and oil products. It employs 26,000 people across 36 businesses, with a production network spanning 194 manufacturing facilities in 29 countries. From paints to plastics, textiles to technology, medicines to mobile phones, materials manufactured by INEOS enhance almost every aspect of modern life. In 2019, INEOS had sales of circa $61bn and EBITDA of around $6bn. 

To find out more about Grenadier, visit www.ineosgrenadier.com 

17cea8f1e83fb0b6e06e94c7dc7b68f5-1500x1001.jpg

d13aba3c8de0ea24dddb47f3c0a2b273-1500x1001.jpg

d6bf765390d78c599b68030a0afa86a0-1500x1001.jpg

Edited by jeremy996
Video details
  • Like 4

TFL also put out a very good interview with a Grenadier rep for North America (though it was awkward hearing someone with an English accent saying Zee instead of Z...).  About 15 minutes long, with some detail footage of a prototype to illustrate it.  Neutral, informative and polite and worth checking out.  Sorry, I can't easily link to UTube but should be easy to find.

1 hour ago, deep said:

TFL also put out a very good interview with a Grenadier rep for North America (though it was awkward hearing someone with an English accent saying Zee instead of Z...).  About 15 minutes long, with some detail footage of a prototype to illustrate it.  Neutral, informative and polite and worth checking out.  Sorry, I can't easily link to UTube but should be easy to find.

The TFL YouTube video I posted above, ("Deep Dive"), interviews Greg Clark, the Executive Vice President, Ineos North America. 

20 hours ago, jeremy996 said:

The TFL YouTube video I posted above, ("Deep Dive"), interviews Greg Clark, the Executive Vice President, Ineos North America. 

Oh dear, must have been the same video! Didn't get that from the title, sorry.  That's what comes of watching videos when you should be asleep...