Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

Yet another posting from me - the unofficial photos of tow gear on the 2B prototypes.

Looks OK to me, although one whinging Herbert on FaceAche seems to think that   "towing hasn't seemed to be a priority with the development team. Has there been any leaked footage of the Grenadier towing anything? At this point, I'm starting to thing the tow rating is nothing more than an engineering calculation based on the drivetrain. It seems no real actual testing has been done with a heavy load."

Another commentator believed the tow gear looked like the old G Wagen, which seems plausible. 

Grenadier 2B tow ball.jpg

Grenadier 2B tow hitch Silverstone.jpg

Edited by jeremy996
fat fingers
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

Owning umpteen Land Rovers since the 70's leads me to the view that having the spare right above the tow point makes hitching and unhitching a bit of a faff. 

I've had that experience too but, in this case, it looks like there'd be plenty of clearance.  I can't imagine it would be a problem.

2 hours ago, deep said:

I've had that experience too but, in this case, it looks like there'd be plenty of clearance.  I can't imagine it would be a problem.

Depends on how young or fit you are. Old f@rts like me tend to get brassed off when things are made inconvenient and I for one have grown used to not having to negotiate an obstacle directly above a rear tow hitch. 

14 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

Owning umpteen Land Rovers since the 70's leads me to the view that having the spare right above the tow point makes hitching and unhitching a bit of a faff. 

It could be worse - I fit a NATO hitch to my 109 using genuine mountings.  With a Defender rear door, the spare tyres just contacts the top of the hitch when it is closed up and upright.  To use the Sankey, the easiest thing to do was invert the hitch and lift the towing eye into it, then spin it over again.  Otherwise, I had to connect up with the door half open to lift the hitch arm, but could only do that on level ground or the hump of a hill, so the trailer was level or below the car. 🙄. Glad I didn’t use it much.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

It could be worse - I fit a NATO hitch to my 109 using genuine mountings.  With a Defender rear door, the spare tyres just contacts the top of the hitch when it is closed up and upright.  To use the Sankey, the easiest thing to do was invert the hitch and lift the towing eye into it, then spin it over again.  Otherwise, I had to connect up with the door half open to lift the hitch arm, but could only do that on level ground or the hump of a hill, so the trailer was level or below the car. 🙄. Glad I didn’t use it much.

Yep I've e had similar issues inthe past with this or that vehicle or set up. I just can't be bothered faffing now and just want what should be simple, routine tasks to be, well, simple and hassle free. 

1 hour ago, jeremy996 said:

New Grenadier video, visiting the Halo Trust in Kosovo. Some pictures of prototypes and tow bars 

https://player.vimeo.com/video/653775964

A decent use case, though any of a number of other vehicles could work on those mildly rough tracks.  However, having capability in reserve (for slips, washouts etc.) looks like it would be a Grenadier strong point.  The comments about the smooth on-road driving echo those made elsewhere and would make a huge difference if you got injured.

What did crack me up was right near the beginning - three masked up men shake hands.  May as well throw those masks away now...

17 hours ago, jeremy996 said:

New Grenadier video, visiting the Halo Trust in Kosovo. Some pictures of prototypes and tow bars 

https://player.vimeo.com/video/653775964

Oh Lord save us from artificially wobbly, constantly tracking, fast cut cut cut camera work and overbearing music. If the product is good nobody needs these artificially hyped productions. Clear images and facts please, not some emulated Hollywood hyperbole. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

Oh Lord save us from artificially wobbly, constantly tracking, fast cut cut cut camera work and overbearing music. If the product is good nobody needs these artificially hyped productions. Clear images and facts please, not some emulated Hollywood hyperbole. 

Sadly, it sells products to a lot of people.

9 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

My son, (recent Film graduate, 2:1), tells me it is a fashion thing and should pass, replaced by the next film cliché.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jeremy996 said:

My son, (recent Film graduate, 2:1), tells me it is a fashion thing and should pass, replaced by the next film cliché.

Maybe it’ll be silent black and white cinematography projected too fast - we haven’t had that style in a while…

• 2 weeks later...

CAR Jan2022 P52.pdfCAR Jan2022 P52.pdf 

Looking at my copy of CAR magazine, January 2022, I found an article by Mark Walton that struck a chord, (scanned and appended).

"But now I've seen the future.... an exclusive preview of the forthcoming parts catalogue for the Ineos Grenadier, and: woah!" 

I'm just a bit jealous - I love manuals too!

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing what (if?) they come up with for a SWB version.

Defender 110's are quite a practical vehicle which worked well and although there was a lot that could be improved, particularly the dash, they are pretty good.

90's on the other hand, I always were limited by poor access to the rear which made rear seats a clumsy option.  

Hopefully, they will address that.

The Grenadeer has really grown on me - I can definitely see one in my future!

11 hours ago, simonr said:

Defender 110's are quite a practical vehicle which worked well and although there was a lot that could be improved, particularly the dash, they are pretty good.

90's on the other hand, I always were limited by poor access to the rear which made rear seats a clumsy option.  

Once they stopped building them with side facing rear seats, I couldn't see the point of a 90 with rear seats at all, though later ones without a middle seat in the front are, admittedly, very limited.  That basic Land Rover runabout was never intended to have its entire load bed filled with just two, inaccessible seats!

15 hours ago, simonr said:

Having spoken to a few people within Ineos, there does not seem to be a business case for a SWB version. The existing vehicle is 115", there is a 125" in development, but if you ask about a SWB, they smile and say it is not on the cards, buy a 2 seat commercial!

Owning a 110 CSW and a 90 suggests to me that a 90 is only useful as a vehicle for 2 with a bit of stuff. The 110 is our holiday barge of choice - my wife does not travel light. 

On 1/3/2022 at 11:05 PM, jeremy996 said:

Owning a 110 CSW and a 90 suggests to me that a 90 is only useful as a vehicle for 2 with a bit of stuff. The 110 is our holiday barge of choice - my wife does not travel light. 

I've had several 90's & 110's and seem to keep alternating between them.  It may be that with the improved design of the Grenadier, the difference would be less profound?  I prefer the turn circle and power to weight ratio of the 90 - but prefer the towing stability of the 110.  I rarely needed the additional space in a 110.  I think I liked the idea of the extra (usable) seats, more than I needed them.

Buying a 2 seat LWB just combines the worst of everything (for me).  A 90 / 100 with 4 usable seats would be perfect - and that's kind of why I have a RR, but it's still not as practical, utilitarian a vehicle as the Defender was.