Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

I did put a live sheep in my previous car once.  Farmer was mustering along the road and the old girl just collapsed.  I was a bit alarmed, when I got to his yards, to find my dog had been quietly "plucking" it while we were driving!

I remember a local farmer in the late 90’s telling us Mercedes had produced a new 4x4 - he bought one; an ML 320 (iirc) to replace his Defender. He opened the back to show us two sheep in there eating the leather off the seats. 😂

• Haha 4

Well I'm going to conclude for myself that the ineos grenadier is just another over priced toy and not really a utility vehicle.

The way it's built is not suitable for long production Lines and  high speed industry that uses them for hundreds of thousands of miles in a very short space of time.

I for one will continue to be supplied by employer 100k mile warranty vehicles and get double that distance from them before replacement.

good luck to ineos with their product in the future.

I think you need to have a good look under a Grenadier and see just how big the axles are, (usually under a John Deere tractor), and the chassis, (made by a German builder of commercial vehicle chassis). As I said earlier, it will be 20 years before we have a reliable answer.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jeremy996 said:

I think you need to have a good look under a Grenadier and see just how big the axles are, (usually under a John Deere tractor), and the chassis, (made by a German builder of commercial vehicle chassis). As I said earlier, it will be 20 years before we have a reliable answer.

I think you have misunderstood my conclusions....

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

But making a conclusion based on something you’ve not looked at properly and already dismissed? As above, they’re far better built (particularly underneath) than any modern pickup I’ve looked at!

😂😂😂 It's a good valid conclusion.,

@jeremy996 Any news yet on the publication of workshop manual, diagnostic information etc. for owners to enable home maintenance and servicing?

This is one of the main appeals of the vehicle to me, along with its potential for longevity could make it a worthwhile investment. A lot of noise was made about it pre-launch but I have not seen anything yet. 

1 minute ago, Retroanaconda said:

@jeremy996 Any news yet on the publication of workshop manual, diagnostic information etc. for owners to enable home maintenance and servicing?

This is one of the main appeals of the vehicle to me, along with its potential for longevity could make it a worthwhile investment. A lot of noise was made about it pre-launch but I have not seen anything yet. 

Not so far. The last time I put the After-Sales Director on the spot, he said the end of Qtr1 2024, so it is due soon. The dealers have the full monty and sometimes print off bits for their customers, but the company MD said there were legal issues around the release when she was quizzed in Australia.

3 hours ago, jeremy996 said:

Not so far. The last time I put the After-Sales Director on the spot, he said the end of Qtr1 2024, so it is due soon. The dealers have the full monty and sometimes print off bits for their customers, but the company MD said there were legal issues around the release when she was quizzed in Australia.

Thanks. Please let us know if it materialises.

Trying to get basic diagnostic info for the 110 is a pain in the backside, hopefully Ineos’s approach is different to LR. 

• 1 month later...

A YouTube video from Australian from a gentleman called John Canny. If you have a dig into his previous videos you can see that he is probably braver than he should be, but he makes a good accelerated wear test on his Grenadier.

• Like 1

Have they still not published the manuals?  That was a key selling point, as was the support, so there would seem to be grounds for mis-selling the product.  

Still, other than that and the electrical problem which seems to have been a simple fix once pinned down (would have been easier with the manuals), he does seem very happy with the car.  What new model doesn’t have problems in the first year or two?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Snagger said:

Have they still not published the manuals?  That was a key selling point, as was the support, so there would seem to be grounds for mis-selling the product.  

Still not published; last semi-official word I had was the end of Q1 2024. The MD said in Australia that they had issues with different jurisdictions about the data they could release, but there is not one coherent message.

7 hours ago, jeremy996 said:

Still not published; last semi-official word I had was the end of Q1 2024. The MD said in Australia that they had issues with different jurisdictions about the data they could release, but there is not one coherent message.

That has a strong smell of BS around it.  It’s technical data about the vehicle, not personal data about staff members, national security information or religious doctrine…

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

That has a strong smell of BS around it.  It’s technical data about the vehicle, not personal data about staff members, national security information or religious doctrine…

I wonder if it’s something to do with data/info from each of the parts manufacturers and what’s allowed to be shared in different jurisdictions. 

2 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

I wonder if it’s something to do with data/info from each of the parts manufacturers and what’s allowed to be shared in different jurisdictions. 

Reeks of IP issues, indeed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Like most manufacturers do. 

Exactly.  LR bought in ZF, Ford, BMW and other sourced parts for decades and released everything in their manuals, and that is typical of other manufacturers too.  It could be the problem, but Ineos would have to have cpscrewed up the contracts with their suppliers hugely for that to be the problem.

I've asked around and a couple of people have suggested a few possible snags. Some countries have professional licensing, so unqualified people are not allowed to do tasks for which they are not qualified. In the UK anyone can set up as a car mechanic, but that is not the case in many places. Often this goes with restrictions on who can have service data. Suppliers can also be restrictive on who can have IP/data, confining it to official licensees.

The Right to Repair movement in the USA is not a expectation that the general public can  take any and everything apart, just that not just franchised shops have access to the service and mechanical data.

15 hours ago, jeremy996 said:

The Right to Repair movement in the USA is not a expectation that the general public can  take any and everything apart, just that not just franchised shops have access to the service and mechanical data.

Sounds similar to EU law.  If the EU and US both have this requirement Tudor data to be open, then that would be the majority of potential customers and so should have ensured that the provision was made.