Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

18 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

I have to wonder how these stack up against the usual pickups in terms of fleet costs. With those, you can dispose of them by the time their first service is due when they cost so little to buy and the residuals are so low (a slight exaggeration, maybe).

There's a reason RNLI use the L200, nothing to do with off road ability when it gets covered in salt every day. 

These will have to reach a longer service life to 'pay back' the purchase cost and that takes actual maintenance.

I don't doubt they're capable of a long life, but curious to know how the numbers work when your starting point is almost twice that of other vehicles.

It will be interesting to see what happens now the L200 isn't available any longer. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

I have to wonder how these stack up against the usual pickups in terms of fleet costs. With those, you can dispose of them by the time their first service is due when they cost so little to buy and the residuals are so low (a slight exaggeration, maybe).

There's a reason RNLI use the L200, nothing to do with off road ability when it gets covered in salt every day. 

These will have to reach a longer service life to 'pay back' the purchase cost and that takes actual maintenance.

I don't doubt they're capable of a long life, but curious to know how the numbers work when your starting point is almost twice that of other vehicles.

Would it not also depend on how something is being purchased? I'd guess quite a lot might be leased or on some kind of business HP/PCP scheme. In which case it is only really about the monthly costs. Also worth noting that while the initial outlay might be more, the resale value is also likely to be higher too. For a business I imagine the total costs may not be all that difference, despite the retail price a private punter would have to fork out.

I'd also assume that list price may also mean little for businesses needing such vehicles. In the grand scheme of things. Even for charities. A quick Google for RNLI:

Income / Expenditure 31/12/2018 31/12/2022
Total gross income £192.21m £231.80m
Total expenditure £192.06m £233.00m

Some pretty big figures. And as a charity I guess they need to spend all they get.... But with figures like this Does a £45-53k pick-up really make any difference over one costing £65-75k? Even if they bought 10 or 20 of them (to which I'd assume they would then get a good discount anyway).

• Like 1

I think a lot of rescue organisations do tend to hang onto vehicles for longer than many users, possibly because they are quite customised units, and/or maybe they don't rack up the miles that quickly. I know my local St John's Ambulance branch still has a 1989 V8 110 on the fleet, and it was only 10 years or so since I used to see a Gatwick airport fire service 200 Tdi Discovery our local Tesco.

I wouldn't be too snooty about current 4x4 pickups, they are popular for valid reasons. My gut feeling is that big users like utilities will continue to use them en masse from the big manufacturers [rather like the Power Network Ranger cherry picker that turned up at the farm when we had problems last week] perhaps subbed by a few Grenadiers [but to do what?] Charities are something else entirely.

My gut feeling is Grenadiers will continue to be a bit niche, certainly expensive and as a result will not be adopted by fleet users to the same degree that Defenders were, not while 4x4 pickups are available from the big makers with big parts and repair facilities.

As an aside, if my last brand new Defender had been as reliable as the 3.2 auto Ranger it was replaced with or my current D Max I would have held onto the Defender. In fact all the Defenders I bought new spent more time back and forth undergoing warranty work than either of these so called cheap pickups  [cheap at over 30k - hmmm].

2 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

I wouldn't be too snooty about current 4x4 pickups

I, at least, wasn't knocking the pickups. They can't get some of the places a Defender or, presumably, a Grenadier can get - but they'll get to a lot of places an ordinary van won't and they're quite capable of filling many of the roles done by Defenders in the past. As well as others Defenders were never good for.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mickeyw said:

I think a lot of rescue organisations do tend to hang onto vehicles for longer than many users, possibly because they are quite customised units, and/or maybe they don't rack up the miles that quickly. I know my local St John's Ambulance branch still has a 1989 V8 110 on the fleet, and it was only 10 years or so since I used to see a Gatwick airport fire service 200 Tdi Discovery our local Tesco.

The mountain rescues around me still have their defenders - one of them has just has their 110 put on a galvanised chassis. 

My assumption is because there hasn’t been anything that does what they want it to, or it’s better long term value for them to have vehicles they can repair and keep going, and / or their fleet guy just loves them ? 

Very small market - but I could easily see them running Grenadiers.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hurbie said:

I like the look of that.

Hopefully, now Land Rover have moved out of the utility market, there will be space for other manufacturers to bring more interesting options to Europe & hopefully the UK.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 5:42 PM, Happyoldgit said:

I wouldn't be too snooty about current 4x4 pickups, they are popular for valid reasons.

I agree, they offer a package at a price that very few vehicles can compete with. It's the comparison between ~£30k and £75k that I was trying to draw out more than the pickups being bad value.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm up to 13,000 miles in mine and I still love it. Got some glitches with HVAC, (no warm air to the footwell), and dodgy door seals, (three are falling off and the driver's door one is collecting water, so you get a wet surprise when you open the door), but hoping these get sorted, (or at least diagnosed), tomorrow.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

Good review that🙂

Very good review ! 

On the review subject:

I actually think the reviews point to them having done an incredible job. Creating a whole new brand and model of car cannot be anything other than incredibly hard.

There are very few cars brought to market by the established players that have wholly positive reviews, and more than enough with enormously negative reviews from somewhere. 

Quite remarkable really - and I wish them every success. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Daan said:

The ozi explorer is testing one:

Must admit, I want one.

To be fair to the pompous ASPW, it's not a bad review but I feel he makes a meal of the 'footrest' for clicks and engagement. Certainly the ease of driving when conditions are sub-optimal matches my experience.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Popped up as a recommended video earlier…. Can’t say the thought of watching him fills me with joy!

I like his stuff, clearly an enthusiast, and experienced. He says it like he sees it, and is honest. I mightn't agree with him, but that's okay. 

His review was fair, I thought.

Mind you, with my driving needs these days, I'd only be looking at a second hand Dacia duster!!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Daan said:

Is the footrest the result of exhaust routing? Can it be modified?

Yes, and anythings possible I guess, I read somewhere it is the cat, and needs to be as slowe as possible to engine for heat/efficiency reasons, so they couldn't move it without getting the whole engine reassessed for emissions, and therefore massive costs. 

Sounds plausible, but unsure exactly how true it is. 

• Like 1

I think people give him more flack than deserved.  Yes, he does play up the pomposity, like Clarkson played up the buffoonery, and he is far too into gadgets (especially electrical) and too keen to take sponsored kit,  but he is at least very clear about it when he gets freebies and does give a pretty reasonable opinion on most stuff.