Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

I thought it was a good review; He is honest, not just bashing stuff, but also pointing out good things.

I mean, he had to borrow a Grenadier from a friend, as Ineos wouldn't give him one to try.

Because of this, he could easily have made a very bad review, but he didn't.

The footrest, which he thought was a non-item at the beginning, was the deal breaker in the end though. 

I reckon Jim will have to use his persuasion to the best with Magna Styer, as that footrest is hurting sales for RHD countries.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Hitting the second hand market already! Local to me, utility wagon, 2500 miles. £50k+VAT

https://www.cornemotors.co.uk/used-ineos-grenadier-witney-oxfordshire-5658158

I can never understand how someone can hate money enough to sell a new vehicle within months of buying it.

I suppose the fact it's +VAT is a hint as to who/why it was purchased, but even so. 

Perhaps they just couldn't get on with the footrest. Who knows. 

1 minute ago, ThreePointFive said:

I can never understand how someone can hate money enough to sell a new vehicle within months of buying it.

I suppose the fact it's +VAT is a hint as to who/why it was purchased, but even so. 

You do have to wonder! 

1 hour ago, ThreePointFive said:

I doubt we shall ever know but there is not a one size fits all answer. The buyer / partner might dislike the vehicle, suddenly run into cashflow issues, been taken ill... who knows?

7 hours ago, Daan said:

I thought it was a good review; He is honest, not just bashing stuff, but also pointing out good things.

I mean, he had to borrow a Grenadier from a friend, as Ineos wouldn't give him one to try.

Because of this, he could easily have made a very bad review, but he didn't.

The footrest, which he thought was a non-item at the beginning, was the deal breaker in the end though. 

I reckon Jim will have to use his persuasion to the best with Magna Styer, as that footrest is hurting sales for RHD countries.

Having watched it all and agree, it is a decent, balanced but overly long review. His conclusions tally with mine, also I too could not live with the intrusion into the driver footwell on the RHD version - but in my own case this is down to my own particular health issues.

A surprisingly objective review and far less pompous than his other ones I've seen.  Even left himself a little vulnerable?  And that '75 Range Rover!  Lovely.

The thing I got from his video that really stood out was the build quality.  Having never seen one, I sort of assumed it was pretty good but you get a better feel from video.  I still haven't seen one in the flesh (didn't accept the invitation to drive one because new house etc., ahem, wouldn't have been honest) but now I have a much better idea of how purpose built the Grenadier really is.  Comparing it to a cheap pickup truck (which is strange enough anyway) completely misses the mark.

The new Ranger starts from £28k +VAT. Which is significantly less money than the starting price of the Grenadier.

I know the tests have generally been against something more like a Wildtrack spec or even maybe a Raptor. Which are priced much closer to the Grenadier. But their basic build quality and interior materials are still those of a £28k truck. I’d say the Grenadier was a rung higher in materials and engineering if you consider how heavy duty the axles and things are meant to be. 

• Like 3

On 12/21/2023 at 9:50 AM, Happyoldgit said:

Oh God, him again. I thought he had already “done” the Grenadier. I will watch it later.

I’ve been putting it off - he just started to annoy me a while back.

I think it was because he seemed to say simple obvious things in the most drawn out manner - and package them up as wisdom. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2023 at 4:48 PM, Shep The Disco said:

Too expensive for work and really?

When no-one wants them and they are £10k then maybe but doubt it .

Liking it or not is a matter of personal taste; people drink Carling - I just don't understand it.

Too expensive for work? I doubt it; business is interested in the lifetime cost, so the up-front cost is not the most important driver. Other than fuel, my day to days costs have been quite modest, my LR110/LR90 were costing a fortune in small spares and labour or my time.

I suspect you will be waiting a long time for a Grenadier to be £10k; a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty and the build quality of an old-school Mercedes suggest it will age gracefully.

Ineos Automotive still need to sort out the workshop manual and parts for retail, but my vehicle now has no warranty faults and I am very happy with it. 

• Like 3

I agree with Jeremy.  Large fleet operators are likely watching with interest to see what reliability and life expectancy are on these cars, and if as good as expected, will no doubt start placing orders.  I still prefer the aesthetic of the (real) Defender, but this is a better built, better designed car with higher capabilities (as it should be for the price).

Well I'm sceptical about it.

It's a modern vehicle that's extremely expensive,no farmer , utility companys etc are  going to want to spend that sort of money on a disposable wagon.

The double cab pick ups at £25k or so will retain the large majority of the market I suspect.

They just are too complex and expensive to be practical.

Edited by Shep The Disco

56 minutes ago, Shep The Disco said:

Well I'm sceptical about it.

It's a modern vehicle that's extremely expensive,no farmer , utility companys etc are  going to want to spend that sort of money on a disposable wagon.

The double cab pick ups at £25k or so will retain the large majority of the market I suspect.

They just are too complex and expensive to be practical.

Suspect most of the pickups sold are not base model ones. The Ranger is 28k + VAT. So quite a long way off your claimed 25k anyway. 

btw have you seen how much a new tractor costs these days? Makes the Grenadier cheap by comparison. 

• Like 2

Firstly the grenadier is not a tractor.

As far as pick up prices go they can be brought with next to no mileage less than a year old for under £25k.

No one in there right mind would buy a grenadier for hard work because they are just too expensive.on top of that they are just modern vehicles so there is also absolutely no point buying them to be destroyed at work.

The Isuzu and ford have this area of the market well and truly covered.

The grenadier is a modern take on a well known utility vehicle that not only is expensive but doesn't meet the cost needs for the working folk.

Adding tractor prices into the equation is pointless as these are working plant vehicles not run around buses to be disposed of once worn out after 3 years.

Edited by Shep The Disco

4 minutes ago, Shep The Disco said:

Firstly the grenadier is not a tractor.

As far as pick up prices go they can be brought with next to no mileage less than a year old for under £25k.

No one in there right mind would buy a grenadier for hard work because they are just too expensive.on top of that they are just modern vehicles so there is also absolutely no point buying them to be destroyed at work.

The Isuzu and ford have this area of the market well and truly covered.

The grenadier is a modern take on a well known utility vehicle that not only is expensive but doesn't meet the cost needs for the working folk.

Adding tractor prices into the equation is pointless as these are working plant vehicles not run around buses to be disposed of once worn out after 3 years.

The point you’re completely missing is that the added quality over the ‘cheap’ pickups means they won’t be disposed of after three years for being ‘worn out’. They’ll more than likely still be going. 
As for the mention of tractors, it’s a very valid addition. Forking out the money on something like that is done in exactly the same way as a grenadier would be - the business case. Greater value after 3 years means it will stay longer so the cost is much less relevant. 

• Like 2

Well the thing is do you really think a grenadier is going to do in excess of 150k miles hard use and still be in a fit state for work after 3 years?

I doubt very much that with the way vehicles as such get used here they will be useful far beyond that in comparison to the vehicles such as the dmax and ranger .

It's just not feasible to spend that sort of money.

There's Hilux here at 3 years old with over 200k miles on absolutely nackered and the grenadier is in no way made any more longer lasting than those.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Shep The Disco said:

Well the thing is do you really think a grenadier is going to do in excess of 150k miles hard use and still be in a fit state for work after 3 years?

I doubt very much that with the way vehicles as such get used here they will be useful far beyond that in comparison to the vehicles such as the dmax and ranger .

It's just not feasible to spend that sort of money.

There's Hilux here at 3 years old with over 200k miles on absolutely nackered and the grenadier is in no way made any more longer lasting than those.

Have you actually looked that closely at a grenadier? Honestly, I think they’ll outlast stuff like that very easily. 
Going back to a previous point on cost…. Farmer in the village has an 18 plate Range Rover he bought very nearly new. That does everything - dragging trailers about, plastered in mud permanently, boot full of sheep/cattle feed, bales etc. it’s still going strong with zero issues.

• Like 2