Paime's 90 TD5 Chassis Swap

6 hours ago, paime said:

Thanks folks, i'll check those out. Would there be any issue in using stainless steel for those bolts?

On another note, i was playing around with some photogrammetry over the weekend, mostly to remember how everything goes back together! 

I tried to embed the 3D model but couldn't get it working so the link is here: https://skfb.ly/6UtTq

What did you use to do the model with Paime? :) 

Looks like mild steel it is then! Is there any way i can stop the b*ggers rusting all over my beautiful new chassis?

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

What did you use to do the model with Paime? :) 

It's a programme called Reality Capture (https://www.capturingreality.com/). It's really easy to use and free to make the models but you get charged for file exports. The fee is usually pretty minimal (around $4) but if you don't get it right first time it can be frustrating! I think there are some apps for Android and iOS as well but i've never used them so not sure how good they are.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 6:00 PM, paime said:

This weekend's update: Got the truck up on stands and started to take off the panhard rods, radius arms etc. Every nut has been a challenge so far and the angle grinder has had a few outings! Does anyone know of bolt sets I could buy for all these bits and pieces? I think YRM do them but they're stainless steel and i would worry about strength.

I bought the paddocks bolt set (front and back) they are fine. Don't bother with the bush kits though.I bought the superpro bushes and have to say they were a breath of fresh air to fit. If they need to be changed then only the vice needs to be used to press them out.

Pete

I like the look of the superpro stuff and looking forward to seeing what a difference new bushes will make. I don't think I've ever driven a defender that doesn't have wobbly steering. 

A small update for today - managed to get the front axle off including radius arms and drive shaft. Also thinking about commissioning a study entitled "Nylocs - Friend or Foe?" after the amount of blood, sweat and tears its taken to get some of the nuts off.

Ps how heavy are axles???

20200815_122357.jpg

20200815_122347.jpg

20200815_122342.jpg

I fitted a set of Superpro bushes on my 110 to everywhere except dampers as they are on OME polybushes any way, it drives/rides & handles very well.

You won't pick up the axle on your own with a assistant or crane/trolley jacks, they are very heavy.

1 hour ago, paime said:

I like the look of the superpro stuff and looking forward to seeing what a difference new bushes will make. I don't think I've ever driven a defender that doesn't have wobbly steering. 

A small update for today - managed to get the front axle off including radius arms and drive shaft. Also thinking about commissioning a study entitled "Nylocs - Friend or Foe?" after the amount of blood, sweat and tears its taken to get some of the nuts off.

Ps how heavy are axles???

20200815_122357.jpg

20200815_122347.jpg

20200815_122342.jpg

Hmmm I can lift my coiled front axle onto my trailer but my mogs no bloody way regards Stephen

2 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Hmmm I can lift my coiled front axle onto my trailer but my mogs no bloody way regards Stephen

Can I borrow you for getting the axles on the trailer and off to the blasters please?!

Hoping to get the rear axle off tomorrow then the chassis painting can begin.

I took my wheels off, tried to manhandle the axles, gave up and put the wheels back on. Then found you can roll them around turn them over to paint and weld where necessary. Add an axle stand under the diff nose then chock the wheels and you're all set.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Slow progress over the past couple of weeks. Got the rear axle pretty much stripped down today, just need to get the brake lines and ABS sensors out of the way then i'll need to somehow detach the A frame. This are fairly well seized up so not sure how it's going to go.

On a different note, has anyone ever fitted these kits to their swivel housings: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-LL1393BP ?

Edit: Also, does anyone know where i can find new swivel pin housings? Mine are mostly knackered with the caliper bolt threads shot to pieces. All i can seem to find are LHD versions like this one: http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=390528966579&category=42609&pm=1&ds=0&t=1597243119000&ver=0

Edited by paime

59 minutes ago, paime said:

that's what i'm hoping but all the different parts numbers for the swivel pin housings are quite confusing.

No mention of ABS brakes on the attached page. 

FTC2528 & FTC2529 are the latest numbers. later swivels have a bearing at the top instead of the rialco bronze bush. if you use later swiels you will need the correct top pins/bearings.

2020-09-02.png

• 2 weeks later...

A small update for this week - finally managed to get the rear axle off the truck. What a nightmare it was. The castle nut on the rear a-frame ball joint was having none of it and after nearly 3 hours of trying i finally gave in and got the angle grinder out. Everything is booked in for blasting and painting now which will leave my garage clear for getting the chassis painted up. The next step after that is going to be putting my axles back on which means new bushes. I've read various opinions on here, but what would everyone recommend for every-day road use with a bit of gentle off-roading throught the winter? I don't need massive amounts of flex and i'm leaving towards the Superpro option.

• Like 1