V5 question manual to auto

ianmayco68

Hi all , this is about a Defender but I've put it here because others might know . So the project I'm doing a 300tdi 90 has been changed from manual to automatic and as it's nearly finished I thought time to change the log book , but upon looking the transmission isn't listed on it neither is there a place for you to fill in to change it , I then looked on the V5 for my 110 200tdi and that's the same . Does this mean I don't need to inform the DVLA as it is not listed on the V5 or do you need to do it another way ? I know there's plenty on here done this conversion .

cheers Ian

Found this post from another forum, not Land Rover, 

https://www.driftworks.com/forum/threads/automatic-transmission-changed-to-manual-do-i-notify-the-dvla-and-how.170016/ 

If you read half way down chap phoned the dvla and they weren’t bothered as not listed on the V5 but said tell insurance .

I have a couple of V5s for long dead vehicles, and both of them state "Manual", but that is not in a separate dedicated "box", it is listed at the top in the Make and Type section.

Insurance Co need to know, but are unlikely to triple your premium

I've noticed that the newer V5 doesn't say the transmission but when getting insurance quotes adding the reg lists the transmission type. For most of us this isn't a problem but if your 90 once converted to auto isn't registered as such could it cause a problem for an auto only licenced driver?

I suppose the fact the V5 does not mention what gearbox you have does not mean your car is not known. It usually reveres to a document where all specs of the car are are logged.

That is not to say you cannot divert from it, like changing the tire size will also alter the vehicle from it's original spec but we don't get the spec altered either. So I 'don't think changing the gearbox is an issue.

When I converted mine to Auto, I called DVLA and didn't get any advice other than writing to them asking what I should do. 

I wrote and followed up and was asked to call the DVLA to speak to someone. 

I checked with my insurance and advised them of the change and no change of premium etc.

Call them and see.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...