Shielder or terrain tech bulkhead ?

Yeah , that was my point - why bother putting them up with all the same "fill in blanks text" and then stick names on them ? 

Anyhoo , that's most likely web designer stuff slipped through proof check , more interested in the product . 

• Like 1

I have a brand new genuine Land Rover 2016 manufactured td5 bulkhead I have no use for now, was purchased for my parents Td5 and saved for the future but they upgraded to a Puma CSW shortly after purchase. I would sell on for the same sort of money being asked for the pattern bulkheads, but would have to be collected from Cornwall

4467D219-3C09-46BD-8E5B-6624CC9736A0.jpeg.b394c67adfad310486402469e67d2656.jpeg

D20F5C63-9924-45C5-AF6C-47FC06419240.jpeg.cf0da57f488ffe2967d1160125b30b69.jpeg

Edited by oneandtwo
  • Like 2

Sorry Charlie, I forgot I had promised to add some pictures to this thread

I think the overall build of them is pretty tidy. There are a few places where the texture of the galvanising shows through the paint, but that's a small price to pay I think, and can be addressed with care on the A pillars and top corners where it is on display. I haven't had to do anything to it that compromises the galv to make it fit so far either, though my second build is not yet finished. 

There was a fair bit of basic work to do to it though. cleaning out all of the round holes, and fitting rivnuts etc was fairly quick, but it took probably a couple of hours for me to file all the excess zinc out of the square holes that take all the plastic captive nuts for the dashboard and transmission tunnel. A sharp set of needle files would have helped.

I will try to get some photo's of it as it stands tomorrow, just so you can see which bits I have and haven't fitted to it.

IMG_4164 (2) - Copy.jpg

IMG_4165 (2) - Copy.jpg

IMG_4167 (2) - Copy.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Adammacc said:

Anyone heard about DOP off road? They claim to be building stainless steel bulkheads which seems like a very interesting proposition vs galvanized which will have a long but limited life expectancy. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1290740277780629&id=156391757882159

£4750 plus VAT!!!! WTF?!

11 hours ago, Adammacc said:

I'm not in the UK so customs charges ect are not an issue. I agree the price is crazy but maybe they'd negotiate.

It would need to be 50% to even get to a point worth considering! Cant believe they sell any at those prices!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well have decided to go for the Shielder option.  Have found a company in Scotland that understands that Defenders are more of a coach built vehicle than modern vehicles and that a certain amount of “fitting” is likely to be required.  Will be interesting to see how they get on.  I’ll try and get some pics to show any issues found along the way.  

This is a timely reminder of a few more issues I found on my second Shielder bulkhead.

1 - Bit niggley, but the area that the windscreen hinges bolt to is a little thinner than on the original, such that the bolts I had (presumably orignals) bottomed out in the hinge, they just needed to be 5 mm shorter. Knocking the tang off of the helicoils in the hinge might also have fixed it by itself.

2 - The pins that are supposed to go through the seal beneath the windscreen frame and then into holes int he frame itself, didn't line up properly. Rather than disturb the galvanising I extended the holes in the bottom of the windscreen frame slightly. Didn't have this issue on the first bulkhead I fitted 

I will finally be fitting doors and dashboard to the second one soon, which should find any remaining issues

On 7/23/2021 at 6:23 PM, oneandtwo said:

I have a brand new genuine Land Rover 2016 manufactured td5 bulkhead I have no use for now, was purchased for my parents Td5 and saved for the future but they upgraded to a Puma CSW shortly after purchase. I would sell on for the same sort of money being asked for the pattern bulkheads, but would have to be collected from Cornwall

4467D219-3C09-46BD-8E5B-6624CC9736A0.jpeg.b394c67adfad310486402469e67d2656.jpeg

D20F5C63-9924-45C5-AF6C-47FC06419240.jpeg.cf0da57f488ffe2967d1160125b30b69.jpeg

I’d be interested in that - but I think it would take me a long time to get it from Cornwall to Lancashire ..

I’ve read about people putting a frame on their bulkheads when they go for galvanising to control warping .. any suggestions on that? Would you just pick up the chassis mounts across the bottom ? or do something more?

I wouldn’t mind cosmetic things - but would like it to fit again.