Something started today....

That's a nice roll over trolley , where did you find that ? 

I have a new Marsland 110 chassis in the workshop to put under a 110 csw starting soon , just finishing an extensive tidy up on a '68 88" first . 

Steve 

• Like 1

Even if it can’t take the weight of the transmission and engine, it’d cope well with jobs like wiring, plumbing, welding (not needed this time, obviously), even fitting the bulkhead, it’s panels and components, fitting dampers and turrets, steering and so on.  It looks a very useful tool indeed.

• Like 2

So this Jig came from Ade Foreman - https://en-gb.facebook.com/groups/282852072088530/ Like I said, its for another project and designed for holding an empty bodyshell so you can twirl it round for easy repairs. I just thought it would be useful for the chassis painting since I already had it. Its already serving a purpose as the chassis was in the way in the workshed and now I can move it around.

I am very lucky with the workshop. Its huge - can get three cars abreast in it at the end you can see in the photos and work around them. The best thing is that when you are finished at the end of a day you just shut the doors!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, reb78 said:

It will collapse I would think!!

I think too. When I made my rolling chassis, the first was to put the axles with wheels in. Then the height is enough to make the rest easily. I can't see a real benefit, even though, it's a nice-to-have. Btw ... where to put it, when no chassis is to be made? It will be a useless space consumer.

27 minutes ago, Sigi_H said:

I think too. When I made my rolling chassis, the first was to put the axles with wheels in. Then the height is enough to make the rest easily. I can't see a real benefit, even though, it's a nice-to-have. Btw ... where to put it, when no chassis is to be made? It will be a useless space consumer.

I dont really understand your point. I have the jig anyway for another project repairing a bodyshell so just thought I would use it for this. It will help with painting the new chassis and because its on wheels I can move it around. This is just the start of a build thread. I have no intention of building onto the chassis while on the jig, its not meant to take that weight. 

Once the chassis is painted I will start stripping the 110 and refurbing the panels. Once the 110 is down to running gear I will transfer that to the new chassis (off the jig) and then rebuild the body. This will all be slow so having the chassis on the jig means it can easily be pushed out of the way and stuck in a corner until I need it. Where it was it was blocking access to the side of the shed. 

For storing it, take the bottom bars off and the jig will occupy a small amount of space. 

Edited by reb78
  • Like 3

I am a friend of everything having multiple purposes. This piece can only do one thing better ... paint a chassis. Nothing else. For me, it takes up too much space for that, even when it is disassembled and not in use ... like most of the time. But everyone knows best how much space he has and what is useful for him. Maybe I think it is useless, because I didn't paint my galv chassis at all. Never understood why.

22 minutes ago, steve b said:

That will be a nice project , there can't be many of those left now . It looks pretty complete trim and fittings wise too .

Steve

Everything is there Steve - one owner before me.... my dad...! I have new wings for it (old stock genuine parts) and you can buy the rear wheel arch trims pressed new still. The rest of the work is flat panels so not so hard to fabricate. On 'how many left' there were 15 of this model still registered I think - its the 1800 2 door Magnum as opposed to the HC Viva. 

Very nice car to bring back , and a guaranteed history :)

The model with the "snoot" front moulding had a 2300 iirc? 

Now you've described it , I'm sure you mentioned it before on here somewhere . 

I'd imagine any Vauxhalls from the '70's or '60's are getting rare now , like so many manufacturers , they were notorious rust buckets .

Steve