Challenge Anika.

Simon_CSK

Am on holiday is Greece at the moment and was passing a scrap yard a couple of days ago and what did I spot sitting against a fence...................a Range Rover Classic.

Now I am looking for a two door body shell to restore my CSK so decided that I should have a closer look. Passed it this moring and decided that it was probably a 4 door but would stop and look properly when I could.

Stopped this evening and it turns out to be a 2 door shell with a concealed hinge bonnet, for those that don't know rangies, exactly what I need.

Wife is very understanding, the girl who lets me go to Grand Prix's on the birthday and on our honeymoon.

So the next potential problem will be shipping it home anybody up for forum relay? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, missingsid said:

Is it not worth restoring as is instead of killing it?

TBH I don't get the CSK thing, my mate has a load he is resoring so it must be worth keeping normal 2 doors aren't they older than CSK?

The two door ceased production in the UK in 1987 but continued in the rest of the world up to the end of production of the classic.

Landrover tested the market in the UK in 1990 with the CSK for a two door sporty model.  They took 2 years to sell and never repeated. 

The two door shell I need for my CSK was made between 1988 and 1991 and is specifically those years because of certain features.  

The beauty of Greece is there are loads of very old rust free cars lying around everywhere.  I saw a Renault 5 yesterday but thinks like lights and windows were broken but the shell appeared solid. As my shell is a basket case I am very hopeful for this one.

Shipping will be interesting however I wouldn't want to move it to the Scotland until spring as it would most likely dissolve in shock over the winter.  

• Thanks 1

Not really a problem me thinks - I've recovered weirder things from further away...

Is the vehicle movable (as in : can it be winched on a trailer) ?

The logistics will add more €€€ to the vehicle than you may think though

7 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

The two door ceased production in the UK in 1987 but continued in the rest of the world up to the end of production of the classic.

Landrover tested the market in the UK in 1990 with the CSK for a two door sporty model.  They took 2 years to sell and never repeated. 

The two door shell I need for my CSK was made between 1988 and 1991 and is specifically those years because of certain features.  

The beauty of Greece is there are loads of very old rust free cars lying around everywhere.  I saw a Renault 5 yesterday but thinks like lights and windows were broken but the shell appeared solid. As my shell is a basket case I am very hopeful for this one.

Shipping will be interesting however I wouldn't want to move it to the Scotland until spring as it would most likely dissolve in shock over the winter.  

Ah OK not so rare then. Is that why there are so many French 2 doors coming to the UK?

Ordinarily the cheapest way would be to container ship one, but shipping prices have gone through the roof this year - four or five times higher than last year!  But worth looking at some of the Facebook groups for greek shipping and transport and expat groups as may be able to share a container or transport.  RoRo could also be an option.

There are plenty of late 2 doors in France, Spain, Italy & Portugal that will be easier to get back - I don't think there will be many road transport companies running to Greece, but I've had cars picked up in Italy and France easily enough, though also  not so easy at the moment.  

This one looks to be a nonb started as a project and the owner of the scrap yard isn't selling it but it was a bit of fun on holiday. Am back in the UK now but have left my phone number just in case.

15 hours ago, Eightpot said:

There are plenty of late 2 doors in France, Spain, Italy & Portugal that will be easier to get back - I don't think there will be many road transport companies running to Greece, but I've had cars picked up in Italy and France easily enough, though also  not so easy at the moment.  

I  have been told that the best places to get them is the dry areas of Spain and Portugal but want one that is complete so that I can get as many original parts as I need and then (Fridge Freezer listen carfully :rofl:) I will sell what I can.

23 minutes ago, Simon_CSK said:

the owner of the scrap yard isn't selling it but it was a bit of fun on holiday

What do owners of scrap yards do with their scrap I wonder?

I had the same experience seeing a beautiful bulkhead from a Series 3 in a little town in South Africa. I tried and tried to alter the road-trip itinerary so we could stay there and work out what to do. Unfortunately Mrs Peaklander wasn't as keen as me to hang around. I did think that I could go back on a solo trip with a container lined-up and cruise the scrappies until it was full.

2 hours ago, Peaklander said:

What do owners of scrap yards do with their scrap I wonder?

Unfortunately Mrs Peaklander wasn't as keen as me to hang around. 

Unfortunately the fragment it or cube it and it is melted down for new steel.

Mrs CSK is much more forgiving and have to admit I have yet to find the limit to her understanding or maybe tollerance of me. I was lucky I had 5 hours after she had flown home before I got my flight so I had plenty of time to play. Unfortuately they wouldn't sell. 

On 8/29/2021 at 10:42 PM, missingsid said:

Is it not worth restoring as is instead of killing it?

Sid

Just re read what you said. In terms of monetary value no. A well restored 2 door Vogue probably has a value of £30k where as well restored CSK's I have seen for sale at £150k. A good CSK is a well sought after car in the Range Rover world much like the pre production Velars and the Press Cars.

I am specifically looking for a donor vehicle to get my CSK back to pristeen condition even though I have no intention of selling it I just want to have it in my "collection" as a usable summer car for high days and holidays.

1 hour ago, Simon_CSK said:

Sid

Just re read what you said. In terms of monetary value no. A well restored 2 door Vogue probably has a value of £30k where as well restored CSK's I have seen for sale at £150k. A good CSK is a well sought after car in the Range Rover world much like the pre production Velars and the Press Cars.

I am specifically looking for a donor vehicle to get my CSK back to pristeen condition even though I have no intention of selling it I just want to have it in my "collection" as a usable summer car for high days and holidays.

Oh, my mate has about six CSKs were there different versions? Some less rare?

25 minutes ago, missingsid said:

Oh, my mate has about six CSKs were there different versions? Some less rare?

There was only two types of CSK. 4 door models which were sold only in Australia and 2 door models sold only in the UK.

There were only 200 CSK's made and they were all either Manual or Automatic, the manual ones were more rare I will concede however they are all basically the same car and I am not aware of price differentials between Manual and Auto but then I haven't really looked into it as I have an Auto and Manuals don't interest me as the clutch on any Manual Range Rover classic I always found to be heavy and uncomfortable in traffic.