Ot but might be of interest

Stellaghost

Only 4 & half weeks until they go to storage, MOD has decreed the black fleet go out of service, but some will live on to 2030 to keep the RAF Red Arrows (RA) flying until then, the rest are to be reduced to produce spares for the RA contract. Will be sad when they go, 

1 minute ago, western said:

Only 4 & half weeks until they go to storage, MOD has decreed the black fleet go out of service, but some will live on to 2030 to keep the RAF Red Arrows (RA) flying until then, the rest are to be reduced to produce spares for the RA contract. Will be sad when they go, 

What will you be looking after then regards Stephen

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2022 at 1:21 PM, western said:

This is what I deal with on a daily basis for the last 34 years, but not for much longer, contract ends next month. 

XX280.jpg

XX281.jpg

XX256.jpg

I got about 15 flights in T1s and T1As at Chivenor and St Athan in 93 while I was waiting for my flying courses in the RAF.  The Hawk is a great aircraft, and one that was especially well liked by just about everyone who flew it and one of the best suited to its role.  Seems a long time ago now! 

02D7E4E1-7B9D-4E2D-A531-10CDD3E1809C.jpeg

• Like 3

You must of been at Chivenor when I was there on 63/19F, I left there in March 94 to start my new job on FRADU at Yeovilton,  looks like XX337 your next to in the above photo, that jet became a long term FRADU/736NAS aircraft. 

Yes a very popular jet & easy  to do rmaintenance on. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, western said:

You must of been at Chivenor when I was there on 63/19F, I left there in March 94 to start my new job on FRADU at Yeovilton,  looks like XX337 your next to in the above photo, that jet became a long term FRADU/736NAS aircraft. 

Yes a very popular jet & easy  to do rmaintenance on. 

Chiv just Feb to Apr 93, working(ish) in the Airday office but had nothing really to do other than blag trips with 19 and 92 whenever possible.  Dave Norris was a brilliant Station Commander - Chiv had a great atmosphere.

• Like 1

Yep, though nowhere near as exciting.  Airline stuff for the last 24 years.

94 was a bad year for Chiv.  After Cranwell, I was posted to  BF Belize.  Shortly after leaving it, it was shut down.  Then Chiv, which got closed.  Then St Athan.  Half of RAF stations were shut in the three short years I had before I (like about 95% of trainee pilots) was axed for defence cuts.  The RN had it just as bad.

• Like 2

Even more off topic ☺️...I wasn't in the RAF but did go to St Athan a lot in the 90s as we lived nearby. Our kids had swimming lessons there in the fantastic pool. I believe it was used as a warm-up  / training pool when the Empire pool in Cardiff was hosting a major tournament.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, western said:

Nearly ever place I've been has been closed or handed to army or Marines,

Lyneham, St Athan, Abingdon, Brawdy & Chivenor, all caught up in Defence cuts or restructuring. 

Didn’t know you were at Abingdon Ralph! Drive across the end of the runway every day on my way to work!

10 hours ago, Happyoldgit said:

Did you witness any of the "Masters Of The Air" production activities?

Tiny bits, various trucks of period vehicles coming/going. I missed the aeroplane being delivered/collected.

In the monster winds we had, it took a good proportion of the roof off the marquee's they'd got set up!

• Like 1

Had a wee jolly yesterday with Huwie the driver who's been delivering the stone to me. Not been inside a quarry before - swear there were only 3 people there...

Girl on the weighbridge, pay-loader operator and someone running the crusher (I assume).

IMG_20220413_163004_212.thumb.jpg.7dc1c5d793a89c47ff91f7ed5def7ab7.jpg

Two scoops to fill the 15.3t and then we were off again. Took longer to print the paperwork than it did to fill the lorry.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2022 at 12:05 AM, western said:

Yep, I was there on Buccaneer majors (moved from St Athan) from Sept 87 to Easter 88, then move onto Hawk majors until I was posted to Brawdy in mid 1990. My first posting was Lyneham in Feb 1977 for 2 & half years, join the RAF & get posted 16 miles from home 😁

Glad to hear you had nothing to do with Airworks trashing 18 F3s through incompetence at St Athan in 93.  Absolutely disgraceful episode.