Budget workshop build

miketomcat

A wheelie bin (which I don't have) and/or a wheelbarrow are not fun up the length of my garden. To get a truck in I would need around 6 wheelbarrows and stupid friends to keep up and I'd need to clear the current shed which I have no where to store the contents. Besides the key word here is budget or lack of one.

Mike

I've got a petrol cement mixer you can have sat here, it's in my way now, no cost just take it.

The motor was flooded ( as in underwater ) and worked for a while but now will fire up but won't run so will need some TLC.

I can drop it off at Honiton if someone can get it over to youIMG_1734.thumb.jpg.0d6b4082804fa8609613ce8e8405676f.jpg

@daveturnbull and @Badger110 both are gratious offers, I really appreciate them. For now I'm going to concentrate on getting a roof on and water tight. The floor it's self will have to be done in two stints anyway as I'll have to do the back half then shift everything to do the front. It doesn't need to be that strong as it's very difficult to get a car to/into it and even if I did it's likely to only be a shell at no more than 100kg.

Mike

43 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

Price up a short load of pre mix

I tend to agree. Mixing your own is quite complex even with your own Belle mixer. I’ve done plenty over the years and you need to be organised ‘at the mixer”.

Sand / ballast needs to be next to it. You can easily need a bulk bag. If it can’t be dropped off the lorry exactly at the mixing spot, then you need to decant from there to mixer, moving the contents of the full bag to an empty one, with wheelbarrow and planks to run along, unless it’s hard and smooth.

Then you need a water supply fairly handy and of course need to carry the cement bags.

Finally the mixer needs to be on a stand so you can drop straight into a barrow to move the mix to the exact spot. If you tip it onto the floor it’s just more work.

Also after cleaning, the mixer water itself needs to be lost somewhere. 

19 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

I tend to agree. Mixing your own is quite complex even with your own Belle mixer. I’ve done plenty over the years and you need to be organised ‘at the mixer”.

Sand / ballast needs to be next to it. You can easily need a bulk bag. If it can’t be dropped off the lorry exactly at the mixing spot, then you need to decant from there to mixer, moving the contents of the full bag to an empty one, with wheelbarrow and planks to run along, unless it’s hard and smooth.

Then you need a water supply fairly handy and of course need to carry the cement bags.

Finally the mixer needs to be on a stand so you can drop straight into a barrow to move the mix to the exact spot. If you tip it onto the floor it’s just more work.

Also after cleaning, the mixer water itself needs to be lost somewhere. 

Where is your sense of adventure? 😀 It can be hard work but there is something really satisfying about mixing concrete

I once mixed 18,000kg of ballast with 1,500kg of cement (plus water) in a day running two big diesel mixers at once, emptying one for someone else to barrow whilst the other mixed. Mixed 9am to 9pm, couple of pints in the pub and then came back and floated it off!

5 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

Where is your sense of adventure? 😀 It can be hard work but there is something really satisfying about mixing concrete

I once mixed 18,000kg of ballast with 1,500kg of cement (plus water) in a day running two big diesel mixers at once, emptying one for someone else to barrow whilst the other mixed. Mixed 9am to 9pm, couple of pints in the pub and then came back and floated it off!

And I bet you were younger then. Mike is the wrong side of 50, has a dodgy back (body?) and is limited in time. A pre mix arrives. Mike and every mate who owns a wheel barrow are ready to shift 4- 5m3 of perfectly mixed and warranteed concrete. Everything is prepared, steels are down, shuttering place, vibro wand to hand. an hour later it's all done. No one has had to barrow more than a m3 (2.2tonnes) and all is good

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

I do mix my own concrete and mortar and do exactly what I described. I'm the wrong side of 60 too. It's easier with ready mix though and that's why I mentioned it!

• Like 2

Oi I haven't made it to 50 yet. But I do have a dodgey back and ankle. There is concrete there but it's uneven, different heights and has no damp proofing. One advantage of doing the floor inside after the walls are up is it'll but higher than the surrounding concrete so shouldn't get any water ingress.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Finally managed to get some more done. A couple of weeks ago I picked up some second hand roof sheets, there's enough to do the whole roof and a lean-to section down one side for external storage. These have now been cut to size bar two (I've run out of discs). This morning I got the strip of concrete across the front done ready for the front wall after the roof is on.

Mike

• Like 3

Because it didn't happen without pictures, here's some I've just taken in the dark....

IMG_20211205_172745.thumb.jpg.b52bc95b02b72ca02a56cdc9aa599048.jpg

IMG_20211205_172729.thumb.jpg.30e5e1974d2a4b8db9092e37da860b79.jpg

IMG_20211205_172756.thumb.jpg.0d6ea11a611dfdcc94d068cabdb91a3a.jpg

I've got some old roof tiles over the concrete in the photos to keep the frost/rain off it. I'm planning on getting to roof on over Xmas but I've still got trusses and the lean-to part of the roof to build in between times.

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Umm., I can't believe I forgot about this but I might be able to score you a free insulated tin shed Mike :blush:... Downside is it's just up the road from you and you'd have to help dismantle it... It's roughly 12x30ft and tall enough for normal cars to fit into it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

With Christmas done and my brother-in-law staying for a couple of weeks, I might as well put him to good use. Yesterday between showers we got the dry storage roof frame up.

IMG_20211229_100509.thumb.jpg.7a7b22f584c87903e957cbfe17c58634.jpg

Today we got the membrane and roof panels on the back half.

IMG_20211229_152030.thumb.jpg.3829e1c2f1fcc7b07fbb90cb6eec483b.jpg

IMG_20211229_152042.thumb.jpg.ff5c4ef5bafbe6367c3d869e2394d49f.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I can cut a bit of the existing roof and squeeze the next truss and panels up.

Mike

• Like 3

Just before it got dark we managed to get some more membrane and two more roof sheets on.

IMG_20211231_160901.thumb.jpg.ecd1dfca4d0deda2ac4e7a59f527ecf9.jpg

I've punched a hole in the tarp to allow it to drain down the centre of the original roof, hopefully clear of the holes. Fingers crossed the shed will stay dry till I can do the rest.

Mike

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have a dilemma due to the wonderful weather recently cutting the roof off the existing shed is looking marginal. So the plan is to sort the rear floor, move all my kit into the back half then finish the roof/front wall.

So the rear sections floor needs sorting. I have rough, thin (in places) and cracked concrete. I'm not digging it up! I want in to be vaguely flat and dry. I'm thinking some sort of bitumen coat then heavy duty leveling screed over the top. Or perhaps dpc sand/cement mix and slabs. Either way needs to be as cheap as possible. It's not going to have any vehicle traffic or jacking, the worst is likely dropping something off the bench/beating something into submission.

Ideas, comments welcome.

Mike