New ashcroft diff

Daan

If I had not got fed up with the not so mysterious back axle and transmission clunking that my last new Puma 110 XS USW developed, and even more fed up with the fact that numerous warranty fixes were tried and failed, I may have invested in one of those.

That last new Defender of mine was bought as a long term keeper but even toward the end of production they were still let down by niggly faults and poor warranty fixes. I'd have been quids in if I kept that last one, I always rust proofed all my Defenders but damn, even a decades long LR enthusiast like me has their limits in forgiving lamentable build quality - and as I say so close to the end of production too. That vehicle got chopped in and my money has not gone to JLR since.

And breathe.....

5 minutes ago, Daan said:

I am surprised they did not start with a rover type diff replacement, as that is what the off roading scene needs.

Daan

I wonder if that is part of the process and they'll do that version further down the line. Makes you wonder if this has been done for a specific customer, otherwise it seems a strange option to start with. 

On 11/18/2021 at 2:19 PM, Escape said:

Not sure there is a market for an open diff at that price...

I think a lot of the work is on parts other than the diff centre.  The short nosed diffs are less robust than Salisbury types, probably because of their closer pinion bearing spacing but also possibly because of not having such rigid housings.

On 11/18/2021 at 10:19 AM, Escape said:

Not sure there is a market for an open diff at that price...

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

I think a lot of the work is on parts other than the diff centre.  The short nosed diffs are less robust than Salisbury types, probably because of their closer pinion bearing spacing but also possibly because of not having such rigid housings.

It takes all the normal centre options too. 

I know/ agree with the above, but I still doubt many will be willing to pay that much for 'just' an open diff. A pegged locker or even the new diff with an ATB or locking center (at an even higher price) might make more sense.

• Like 1

I’m inclined to agree with you, but choice is a good thing - I suspect they offer that service and this is the cheapest option that deals with the frequently broken parts.  If someone doesn’t need any kind of extra traction but wants to stop the failures, then this would be a good option.

I'm not sure I would go for that. I bought a pegged ATB rear diff from Xcess for a similar amount of money. I suppose people do break them and I suppose for a very niche market it would be a good upgrade, but I don't know of it being a particular problem, the front ones are the weak point.