Electrolysis power supply

Mossberg

I am looking to do some electrolysis rust removal and need a power supply.  

I know the old style car battery chargers are the go-to supply but before I look for one I wondered if I had something already that I could use.

I have old phone chargers, rechargeable torch chargers, etc but I thought these may be too small.  

I also have an old stick welder but I am assuming this is too big.

I was just about to throw out an old battery drill. This is an old (20 years) cheap unit. Would this charger be suitable as a power source? Obviously the batteries are duff so I my thoughts would be to utilise an old battery to attach the lead to. 

I assume that there could be some circuitry to stop the charger when full so would this stop the power when used in this situation?

Your thoughts please guys as I really would like to get this started (I want to try to de-crust my swivel housing).

Thanks as always. 

Mick

1 minute ago, Mossberg said:

I am looking to do some electrolysis rust removal and need a power supply.  

I know the old style car battery chargers are the go-to supply but before I look for one I wondered if I had something already that I could use.

I have old phone chargers, rechargeable torch chargers, etc but I thought these may be too small.  

I also have an old stick welder but I am assuming this is too big.

I was just about to throw out an old battery drill. This is an old (20 years) cheap unit. Would this charger be suitable as a power source? Obviously the batteries are duff so I my thoughts would be to utilise an old battery to attach the lead to. 

I assume that there could be some circuitry to stop the charger when full so would this stop the power when used in this situation?

Your thoughts please guys as I really would like to get this started (I want to try to de-crust my swivel housing).

Thanks as always. 

Mick

I just used a battery charger, but I'm pretty sure you can use an alternative, I vaguely remember a you tube video using phone charger be easy enough to have a look and see regards Stephen

I have the phone charger on standby,  but thought it may be a bit low on power.

I have one of the cheap Aldi chargers,  but not sure if this will work due to the internal electricary!

The power tool charger will be being binned if its not used, so I can dedicate it to this task if it will work. 

If you need 12v and some amps an old PC (ATX) power supply unit may suffice, they're ten a penny and there's guidance on how to wire them up all over the internet, plus breakout boards to do the job neatly.

If you want fancy controls, a DPS5005 (see eBay) plus almost anything DC on the input is a decent solution - and can work as a battery charger and many other things too.

19 hours ago, Mossberg said:

I have one of the cheap Aldi chargers,  but not sure if this will work due to the internal electricary!

It will work just fine but you need to put an old car battery in parallel to trick it. I have done it this way to de-rust a large number of land rover parts

4 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

It will work just fine but you need to put an old car battery in parallel to trick it. I have done it this way to de-rust a large number of land rover parts

Many thanks for that, I have an old battery that I can use so that may be a way forward for now.

Well, I tried the old battery in parallel trick, and it worked. I can't believe how quick it started. Lots of bubbles within a minute and a layer of dirty foam in under an hour. 

I am trying it on a hub, which is the crustiest of crusty things.i have had it running for 10 hours today and will start it again in the morning. 

I will be interested to see how this turns out. If it can deal with this I am sure it could deal with most things.

9 hours ago, Mossberg said:

Well, I tried the old battery in parallel trick, and it worked. I can't believe how quick it started. Lots of bubbles within a minute and a layer of dirty foam in under an hour. 

I am trying it on a hub, which is the crustiest of crusty things.i have had it running for 10 hours today and will start it again in the morning. 

I will be interested to see how this turns out. If it can deal with this I am sure it could deal with most things.

I have done lots and lots of this and played with different methods. What i found worked best for me.

Put the part in for an initial period of 10-12 hours then get it out and pressure wash it. Most of the rust will now come off. This also stops so much rust going into your water.

Return the part for another 10-12 hours then pressure wash again. Whilst it is still wet get a wire brush and agitate the surface to remove the black film and wash again.

I then let dry off before giving a quick clean with the wire brush on the bench grinder or a quick go over with the shot blaster.

When putting new parts in the solution I use a length of roofing batton to scrape  clean the annodes. (My bath is a 205 litre plastic  drum with rebar rods around it welded together) after half a dozen times I pull the annodes out and pressure wash.

Each time after I have scraped the annodes I stir up the solution with the batton to mix in the soda crystals again as I find this helps them stay dissolved in the solution.

Hope that helps!

Thanks folk's, this is really good info. I think I will be doing quite a bit of this (I have lots of rust) so I will look to get a decent setup. 

I will also take in your hints and tips so I can get the right techniques for our land rover based parts.

22 minutes ago, Mossberg said:

Thanks folk's, this is really good info. I think I will be doing quite a bit of this (I have lots of rust) so I will look to get a decent setup. 

I will also take in your hints and tips so I can get the right techniques for our land rover based parts.

This is my setup. Those blue barrels are really easy to get hold of as AdBlue comes in them and they are not then much use for anything else. I am sure someone on here had a supply of them and put a post in the for sale section but I cannot remember where they were based

105302209_Electro2.thumb.jpg.2aaba6009eca86d2bac7f1135f14406e.jpg

16 hours ago, L19MUD said:

This is my setup. Those blue barrels are really easy to get hold of as AdBlue comes in them and they are not then much use for anything else. I am sure someone on here had a supply of them and put a post in the for sale section but I cannot remember where they were based

105302209_Electro2.thumb.jpg.2aaba6009eca86d2bac7f1135f14406e.jpg

Well my setup is similar but smaller and is using the aldi battery charger. I have it on the 3.8a setting with  the snowflake symbol. It bubbles away nicely!

All I can say is what a brilliant process. The first part I tried it on was a crusty (and I mean crusty) hub. I put the hub in for two x 10 hour stints (I turned it off overnight). I took it out tonight to give it a clean up with a wire brush before putting it back in the tank and to be honest I don't think I need too. I was amazed when I could see the steel showing as I brushed it. The surface that joins the wheel has come up clean and smooth. The back is very pitted apart from the surface that mates to the brake disc which is smooth and clean. One great part of the process is how it gets into the places you could not reach with wire brush/wheel/flap disk. 

20220209_211058.thumb.jpg.3bebeaa6f445f3b61053d209a809ca82.jpg

20220209_211055.thumb.jpg.4ea4d9d741c323836d234e31f64eb76e.jpg

This is after I have wire brushed it. I will get a photo of the back tomorrow. 

The swivel housing is currently in there bubbling away. I have taken photos of it before I have put it in so I will be able to show before and after photos. 

I wish I had one of the big blue barrels as I can see this being a useful process.

Edited by Mossberg

Plastic dustbins are almost as big, which is what I use, and really cheap:

Srendi® 110LITRE Large Black Plastic Dustbin Garden Storage/FEED STORGE Unit Bin Clip On Locking Lid Heavy Duty for Rubbish Waste Animal Feed (1) : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

Or get one on wheels:

Wheelie Bin Warehouse | UK Premium Supplier of Wheelie Bins

I don't suggest contacting your council for a replacement wheelie bin and seconding the old one for alternative uses.....

24 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Plastic dustbins are almost as big, which is what I use, and really cheap:

Srendi® 110LITRE Large Black Plastic Dustbin Garden Storage/FEED STORGE Unit Bin Clip On Locking Lid Heavy Duty for Rubbish Waste Animal Feed (1) : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

Or get one on wheels:

Wheelie Bin Warehouse | UK Premium Supplier of Wheelie Bins

I don't suggest contacting your council for a replacement wheelie bin and seconding the old one for alternative uses.....

I have been tempted to chop the top off a spare IBC for a bigger setup but decided that was probably overkill!

IBC Containers | Commercial Waste Bin | Biffa

3 hours ago, cackshifter said:

One thing to be aware of is it can cause hydrogen embrittlement. I have to say at the pace at which I work that hasn't been an issue, it would have dispersed before the paint goes on. Might be a issue for something like a hub.

Hi pal, what is hydrogen embrittlement? As I am just getting into this I think I would benefit from understanding this side of things!