What would you do ?

Anderzander

My angle grinder has broken. It was just a basic green Bosch thing I’ve had for years.

Worked well - didn’t use it every day but it has had some use and abuse over the years.

Would you:

a) try and fix it - given that what we do is fix old and basic things to keep them going.

b) take the opportunity to buy a Milwaukee one you’ve been coveting, but thinking that you don’t use one enough to justify the cost.

c) buy some other like for like replacement

or 

d) something else ?

p.s I checked the fuse and it’s not that. It just turned off. 

I would also add, if you’ve been umming and arring over the cordless milkwaukee then just buy it. It’ll make whatever you’re doing so much easier and pleasurable.

I’m on the Makita battery platform and bought whatever I’ve needed as I need it. I don’t use them all the time, but if I do a job then having the right tool to hand makes it 10x easier 

3 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

Thanks folks.

Perhaps it’s a L’Oréal moment - because I’m worth it.

I’ve a couple of biggish jobs coming up where having a corded one working from a long extension would be a nightmare. So perhaps it’s time. 

Yep do it. I have the Makita tools as that is what I have the batteries for.

This weekend had a job where power was miles away and the 4 inch and 9 inch battery grinders did a brilliant job getting a scrap set of rib rolls into small enough parts to man handle. Would never go back to corded now

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Only times I've felt my 18v dewalt one has been lacking was when I know I've been too hard on it. Too much pressure with a flap disc rather than swapping out to a coarser grit being the prime example! 

Ahh but are you cutting 50mm plate............ for hair pins............ Regards Stephen

• Haha 2

I would at least have a look at the brushes, I find that new tools are rarely made as well these days,... and if it is just something simple then it will probably give good service for a few more years, and buy the cordless anyway,  can't think how you manage with only one grinder!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blanco said:

I would at least have a look at the brushes, I find that new tools are rarely made as well these days,... and if it is just something simple then it will probably give good service for a few more years, and buy the cordless anyway,  can't think how you manage with only one grinder!

Which raises another good point. I know nothing about the Milwaukee range but Makita have a brushless version of almost every tool. Whilst a bit more expensive that is the one I always go for as they are totally maintenance free

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

Which raises another good point. I know nothing about the Milwaukee range but Makita have a brushless version of almost every tool. Whilst a bit more expensive that is the one I always go for as they are totally maintenance free

Milwaukee also have brushless, they also have theft protection so if stolen they can be switched off so will not work regards Stephen

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blanco said:

Hey !  That’s a win win answer.

Yes … why not both ! 

• Like 1

The BEST angle grinder I have ever had was a Black and Decker. Lasted 20 plus years and was used a lot, and I mean a lot. However, it died in the end must have been 20 years ago. I have had a few since then, Bosch, Makita, AND a Milwaukee, all of which only lasted a couple of years, and I dont use them half as much as I used to.

Bought a couple of cheap ones from Screwfix, but they only last about a year. Got an Einhell one ATM and its doing OK. battery ones are OK for remote jobs, but IMO they seem to be a bit gutless for full on workshop use.

I dont buy expensive stuff now because the big name stuff isnt a patch on what they used to be, and I suspect they are made in China mostly, and also because its a lot to lose if its stolen, and is less of an attraction in the first place.

44 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Does leaving my cordless at home and needing to cut some steel in the workshop count? :P 

Not a smart move

45 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Making up some shims were you Stephen? :D 

Ahh Ross I've never met you but you know me so well,...............lol

Regards Stephen

• Haha 1