Open sided grommets

I would like to seal up the holes at the bottom of my battery box where the battery cables enter. The cables are probably 13mm or so in diameter and so a normal cable gland would work fine, except that the large terminal connectors on the end won’t pass through them. As such I need a grommet/gland solution that can be fitted in situ as it were, i.e. around the side and then sealed up afterwards.

Does such a thing exist? At the moment I’m looking at the sort of thing shown below, and cutting a slot in it to fit over the cable and slide into place. If sized correctly and with the addition of a little sealant if necessary I think this should be fairly watertight. there is an existing hole the cables are going through but the size is not critical as I can plate and re-drill a new hole if necessary.

I’m not looking for IP67 here, just enough to stop the battery box from getting a later of silt in it every time you go through a muddy puddle.

455F98E4-1D1E-4E9B-9D25-D4CF3587EE6F.jpeg.a28fed3b18685fceafd63c8cfbd06a8e.jpeg

What about one of the grommets that was used on the front to rear wiring harness on 90/110 where it was run inside the chassis ? Dont know the size offhand, but that would be about the size you need. Would need a part number though.

Also have a look at the TLC electrical website. They do large OD grommets to pass incoming mains to fusebox/consumer unit. Wiska Sprint Grommets. I think they come closed and you make your own hole.

They’d need to be pretty huge to go over the battery terminal clamps!

I think as usually I’m overthinking this - as suggested I can just use a normal soft rubber grommet and cut and glue it. This will be more than good enough for my application.

Thanks folks - will update how I get on.

Are there not also holes in the bottom of the battery box where the clamp attaches? Have you sealed them up? I have replaced the battery box on my 110 and wondered whether there should be some trunking or something leading up to the engine bay/outside as ventilation.

Not my kind of pricing, but split cable glands are available e.g. https://www.automation24.co.uk/splittable-cable-gland-pflitsch-uni-split-gland-usg-22554-pc

Overkill for something as leaky as a Land Rover I think. I'd aim for a nice snug fitting grommet, cut and glued, and either self amalgalmating tape or butyl body tape if I wanted to beef up the splashproofing.

I’m not digging the cables off the starter and block as the access is a pain in the backside! :D

Removal of the battery clamp terminals is an option but I’d rather not as they are original and I don’t want to disturb them lest I introduce more electrical weaknesses.

The battery box is a YRM one so there are no holes in the bottom. I plan to seal it up and add a vent tube which I can route into the engine bay to ensure any fumes can escape. The top cover is also unsealed and I don’t intend to seal that up as if the water is they deep I have bigger problems!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

They look like small mancuna valves, they let stuff out and nothing in regards Stephen

Slightly OT, but when I worked for Leyland they tried fitting them to the buses' pneumatic gear change exhaust. Think horse after curry night in the stables when gears were changed.

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...

Just to close this off, I ended up with a less elegant solution than originally intended. I took a blind grommet and cut it to fit around the cables, and just slotted that in. It’s probably about as watertight as it needs to be and is certainly a lot better than the gaping hole there was before.

That, plus a little butyl sealer stuff should keep the worst out :)

13678120-2A5C-454B-BDAF-CF13C02B42FF.thumb.jpeg.470017b2b130d560d234b8b9651133b7.jpeg

37F50852-FDAF-4EBC-838F-8D9B0E396B80.thumb.jpeg.dfad2483bd0b7dd7c1d3e87eb474200f.jpeg

• Like 4

Didn't see this thread before. When I sealed up a hole with a small wire in my bulkhead I cut open a grommet, slid it over, then cut open a piece of ducttape, and put that over the grommet with the slit 180° out. Seemed to do the trick fairly well.