Cleaning

Anderzander

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

This is the crux of it perhaps.. 🤔 

The big ones undoubtedly are better but the size of them poses a problem for me - even if I find one at a bargain second hand price (that isn’t being sold because it’s knackered) - I don’t have the space to store it.

Size does matter, doesn't it? Mine is too wide to fit through a standard door (only just...), which meant it always took some shuffling to get it out past the cars and through the garage door. Now it lives outside, under the carport. That works out great, no water inside if it leaks and I don't need to wait for the diesel odor to disappear before storing it.

I've also done a bit of math. It takes about 4kW to heat water at a rate of 1 litre/hour from 20°C to 80°C. So those small steamers of about 2.5kW can manage about 0.5 l/hr. Which is a long way from 450 litres/hour! Even a big one wouldn't manage that, but with steam you don't really need a big flow so it's not a problem. The flow rating is no doubt for cold water.
It does put things in perspective and explains why most use a diesel heater. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Escape said:

Size does matter, doesn't it? Mine is too wide to fit through a standard door (only just...), which meant it always took some shuffling to get it out past the cars and through the garage door. Now it lives outside, under the carport. That works out great, no water inside if it leaks and I don't need to wait for the diesel odor to disappear before storing it.

I've also done a bit of math. It takes about 4kW to heat water at a rate of 1 litre/hour from 20°C to 80°C. So those small steamers of about 2.5kW can manage about 0.5 l/hr. Which is a long way from 450 litres/hour! Even a big one wouldn't manage that, but with steam you don't really need a big flow so it's not a problem. The flow rating is no doubt for cold water.
It does put things in perspective and explains why most use a diesel heater. 

This puts it in perspective I think... A normal electric shower is 9ish kW and thats just a shower at 60ish degrees not exactly high pressure...

My diesel hot pressure washer has a double coil inside the furnace/chimney and will heat near to 100C 

Surely, if you have a hot tap access and can connect a hose with a decent nozzle on it you could do pretty well with that without the pressure aspect - especially with the use of a traffic film remover or similar. I have never pressure washed my engines - perhaps goes back to the days of petrols with moisture sensitive distributors but personally I wouldnt be putting a pressure washer under the bonnet....

Indeed, I considered an electric shower for the Workshop. There rare over here and looking at the power requirements I can understand why. I now have a small electric boiler, 2.2 kW for 15 litres and takes about 20 minutes to get the water nice and warm.

Same as you, I stay away from the engine with a pressure washer, but happily use the steam (hot water) cleaner as that is far less pressure and dries up a lot faster. Usually from underneath the car, not through the bonnet.

• Like 1

I quite often point the pressure washer at my V8's, although not at point-blank range as that's a good way to force water into all the connectors.

For a general blasting off of mud after off-roading it's fine, always figure the rotating parts would rather have clean water shot through them than be full of grinding paste.

Would love to get the oily bits sparkly clean sometimes but never really found a good way of achieving that that isn't very expensive or labour intensive.

2 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Would love to get the oily bits sparkly clean sometimes but never really found a good way of achieving that that isn't very expensive or labour intensive.

Plus encourage rust 😛 

I’m certain that for big jobs and prolonged use the little one would be rubbish - but …. this isn’t about doing much at all. 

Makes me wonder if it’s a bit like using an air compressor for media blasting … where if you are doing little bits you can take your time and wait for the compressor to catch up. 

Just spotted an error in my maths (let's call it a typo): It takes about 4kW to heat water at a rate of 1 litre/minute from 20°C to 80°C.
So the small ones should manage about 30 litres/hour, which is reasonable for occasional use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Just reading through this. A word of caution on the brake cleaner, some brands/formulas will permanently stain any black plastics you spray it on with a white residue. It could make an engine cover, fuse boxes, etc look like carp on seconds and no amount of back to black will make it right.

I ruined a shock tower cover on mine when I forgot this point, despite knowing it beforehand.

• Sad 1