Cleaning

Anderzander

I’m looking at the oily dirty engine and box under my 90 and wondering if there are easier ways to clean it. 

Have ‘hobby’ steam cleaners come on at all?  I’ve seen the big (expensive) steam cleaners do a great job at cleaning things like this - but the hobby home type ones I’ve seen are pretty poor - is there a middle product that I’m missing ? 

Or is it just a case of APC/gunk and a jet wash? Or hours on your back with a solvent and wire brush ? 

How about running household hot water through a cheapo jet washer? 

Find a local HGV/Agri yard with a steam cleaner and outside ramp ? 

I've just bought a warranted -6 months- industrial steam cleaner as brake cleaner and scrubbing big bits is time consuming . My 3rd in 40 years of mucky land rovers

Steve

Where's the run-off going at home? That's what is usually on my mind.

There's a garage in Buxton with a long twin ramp outside that forms a pit. You buy time (very informal) on a big jet-wash and can blast away. It's mainly used for trucks but cars can just span across, with a second pair of eyes!

• Like 1

Pay someone with a steam cleaner to do it. Then you have no worries about getting yourself in a mess or where the oily mess is draining/soaking away to.

Alternatively, place old cardboard under your land rover and use a solvent in a spray gun to get the worst off and let the cardboard soak it up. Then use a strong detergent such as gunk or a quality snow foam, let it dwell and then wash it off with a pressure washer.

I did this and it works well.

• Thanks 1

When we were setting up the Workshop again, I bought an old industrial steam cleaner at about a 10th of the price. New ones are ludicrously expensive if you don't use them every week or so. I did struggle with the heater cutting out and little or no information or support as the brand no longer exists. In the end I got a friend who does residential HVAC to have a look. He replaced the fuel pump and after some fiddling it's now running better than ever. And if it's working, it's a joy to use! On a car in use, pretty much all the oil and muck will come off easily, just one or two passes. Only if it's really caked on, from sitting a long time or such, will I need to use brushes and elbow grease to get a good result. I really don't use it enough, I should make it a point of cleaning as much as possible before starting a big job. Not only will it make work a lot easier/ less messy, it will also lead to better results and certainly look better. I failed to steam clean the engine and gearbox of my Elan, as I was to anxious to get the spanners out. Now that it's mostly back together, I either have a lot of manual cleaning to do or risk getting water into the newly rebuilt parts...

If it's just the one time, I agree with the comments above, find someone who can do it for you or who will let you use their cleaner. Those with tractors and earth moving equipment will  have a good steam cleaner and usually don't mind making a few extra quid from it.

Some pressure washers allow hot / boiling water through them. The old mistral pressure washer we have will.

It'll be down to the pump - the Mistral ones use CAT Pumps (British made I think) and as long as they have oil they just keep on going. I re-engined Mum and Dad's old one and that's 34 years old and still going strong.

Best bit of salesmanship they'd ever seen, go into Riverlea Tractors to buy a pressure washer and came away with a pressure washer and a tractor.

IMG_20210403_190347_474.thumb.jpg.713371236b1352bb3c01cc3fbfbdb044.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I bought mine second hand off pressure washers northern for about £550 about 4 years ago, its had the odd bit of maintenance maybe £200 worth, but it does a reasonable amount of work. Try a few repair places as they will often come across people upgrading etc.

Great input from everyone :)

There was a truck place local to me - but they don't really want anything other than wagons these days.

Brake cleaner is my go to - but I go through tons of it and I miss something as easy and thorough as the steam cleaner.

I did see this: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-harry-2-hot-wash-145bar-high-pressure-w/

Looks pretty compact and the reviews are decent..

8 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Great input from everyone :)

There was a truck place local to me - but they don't really want anything other than wagons these days.

Brake cleaner is my go to - but I go through tons of it and I miss something as easy and thorough as the steam cleaner.

I did see this: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-harry-2-hot-wash-145bar-high-pressure-w/

Looks pretty compact and the reviews are decent..

That looks like pretty good value for occasional use. I would have considered something like that if it had been available when I got my big second hand one. I do wonder how efficient the heating can be. On mine the water heating chamber is about 80cm long so a very large surface for heat transfer.

Just to say - you can buy brake cleaner in 20L drums from most auto factors, plus a good quality Wurth pump-up spray bottle (nothing else lasts) and you're away.

As others have said, farms & truck places have good cleaning facilities, near me there's a truck chassis wash place as the MOT inspectors will happily fail them for turning up with a dirty undercarriage.

The cheapest way I have found to use a solvent cleaner rather than aerosol cans is either: 

(1) If you have a cheap spray gun and compressor use it to spray gun wash thinner as the solvent to de-grease the parts. 

(2) If you don't have a spray gun and compressor, get a pump up spray bottle (as Fridge says above) to spray the solvent. 

15 hours ago, landroversforever said:

That’s peanuts in the grand scheme of things :(Mates diesel heated jet wash on the farm was around £4.5k

Mine was a bargain at £200 secondhand. Diesel burner with a big furnace. 

I used to use the big one at work when I worked in the Agricultural and Plant Industry. When I left, I missed it so much, I bought a new hot water one made by Gerni. I think they have something to do with Nilfisk. It cost about £1100, but that was 22 years ago. Its still going strong, and has never broken down. I do NOT lend it, or let anyone else use it, because everyone wants to borrow it, but no wants wants to pay for it when it goes wrong.

I dont use it that often, and suppose you might regard it as a luxury, but once you have one, messing about with a cold washer is a waste of time on comparison. It another of things like a welding machine, I dont know how anyone can get through the day without one.

I normally spray on a biodegradable degreaser and let it soak for a bit before washing

Brake cleaner is OK but very messy and polluting, causing rapid global warming and killing Polar Bears. So I only use this for small stuff or for stuff that needs painting.

Dont forget that whatever method you use, there will be some sort of pollution.

I feel you might be disappointed with the Machine Mart one. It might produce 145 bar, but at a very low flow rate, because to get the water up to 80 deg AND have a decent flow rate, the burner has to be quite big. Got to be better than a cold one, but a lot of money for something that is unsatisfactory. I would want a demo first. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 12:31 PM, steve b said:

How about running household hot water through a cheapo jet washer? 

This is something I always planned to do. When I re-fitted our utility room I added a hot water take off point for this exact purpose. Somehow I've yet to try it...

13 hours ago, smallfry said:

I feel you might be disappointed with the Machine Mart one. It might produce 145 bar, but at a very low flow rate, because to get the water up to 80 deg AND have a decent flow rate, the burner has to be quite big. Got to be better than a cold one, but a lot of money for something that is unsatisfactory. I would want a demo first. 

This is the crux of it perhaps.. 🤔 

The big ones undoubtedly are better but the size of them poses a problem for me - even if I find one at a bargain second hand price (that isn’t being sold because it’s knackered) - I don’t have the space to store it.

There are others selling what looks to be the same type as the machine mart one :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295039754202?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=QQOKl3JVSkm&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=8IVqfH45Rgq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Flow rate for that says 450l/h. 

This one is a step up - but not miles away in performance - though I can’t find anywhere selling one:

https://www.nilfisk.com/en-gb/products/pressure-washers/mobile-pressure-washers/mobile-hot-water-pressure-washers/compact/mh-1c-110600-230150-uk/p_107145001/