Annoyed

Nonimouse

Busy day on Saturday, marshalling for BAMA, Saxon Express. Up very early and away to be on time for the 0800 marshals briefing. I'd done the vehicle checks the evening before.

Arrived at the Park Ferme, only to find that some lowlife scum had nicked the winch rope off my vehicle, whilst parked outside my house!

I don't live in a town or city, I live in a small, friendly village on Sedgemoor

To be fair it was a crappy bit of rope - Viking (Sampson) from Murica. Not rated. I was just using it up. But the hook was special. A 7tonne SWL swivel hook in red, given to me by the late Nick Jennings, just before he passed away. Nick was a very close friend and so there are sentimental issues.

I'll find the scrote who did it - small village life.

I've decided to buy a new rope to replace it, from The Cheapset Rope Company. They are an excellent business, selling professional rope to the fishing industry. From 4mm to 100mm plasma, including SK95 and 98.

SK98 is deemed the best for 'off road' purposes, but they also sell DM20. Now DM20 is used for rigging, as well as nets and hauling. It's as strong as SK98, but more durable - still Dyneema.

This time round, I've ordered 90' of 12mm, with an an 8" diameter, reinforced loop, spliced into one end. But I'm not leaving it on the vehicle overnight!

• Sad 5

Hmmm, very annoying, I agree. Odd they should think it valuable enough to nick?

Often I find the intrusion and the work to resolve even more annoying than the loss of the article -but then I am permanently short of time, it seems.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Hmmm, very annoying, I agree. Odd they should think it valuable enough to nick?

Often I find the intrusion and the work to resolve even more annoying than the loss of the article -but then I am permanently short of time, it seems.

I think it was stolen to order - namely some redneck retard needed a winch rope. What is odd, is that it's actually very difficult to operate the freespool, as not only is it the alloy X9 type, but it's hidden behind the grill. I reckon they cased the joint first

I tended to leave the winch with a little tension on to mark it very difficult to operate the freespool, but I use mine often enough for the brake to not jam. This isn't a problem on the ibex as it's all inside the truck bar the length from the back to the front, but 6m of rope isn't that useful.

Mike

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I tended to leave the winch with a little tension on to mark it very difficult to operate the freespool, but I use mine often enough for the brake to not jam. This isn't a problem on the ibex as it's all inside the truck bar the length from the back to the front, but 6m of rope isn't that useful.

Mike

X9's aren't as easy to 'jam' with tension on the rope, especially after I've rebuilt them.  I've been pondering some kind of safety lock....

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

X9's aren't as easy to 'jam' with tension on the rope, especially after I've rebuilt them.  I've been pondering some kind of safety lock....

Make that a pink ink and glitter bomb!  Make the f@#¥er stand out.

• Like 1

Truly ****ty, I hope you find them. At least a red hook is distinctive enough to catch your eye if they're that stupid.

The freespool on my TDS gave up at some point while in storage and I've not spent any time working out what's going on. Time to spool out rope isn't really an issue outside of challenge events, felled trees don't tend to walk off if you take too long.

I might be further disincentivised to free it off now I've read this.

6 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Air/electric operated freespool?

6 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

If I was staying here for any length of time, I would fit a decent camera on the house wall.... but as soon as it sells, I'm homeless, so will no doubt be living in the Disco

Remember: you can sleep in a car, but you can't drive a house.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

I am aware of the risk, the X9 doesn't need to be kept tight as it's under the back seat and if they've got that far I doubt they'll just nick the rope. :banned:

On a side note Dave I know it doesn't help much but your always welcome here. ;)

Mike

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

replacement rope arrived today.

12mm DM20 100' with a soft loop rather than a hook. Loop is reinforced.

The ropes are 26mm SK95 Plasma, with an eyelet and a big loop. Both 5m. For towing a dead vehicle, fitted crossing side to side.

The rubber thing is form Bimsoms and is a winch cable stop

All ropes from Derek at The Cheapest Rope Company (on FB) total price was less than 90' of 11m unknown quality from RED

IMG_20230406_155057_164.jpg

IMG_20230406_155102_557.jpg

IMG_20230406_155118_846.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/20/2023 at 11:29 AM, Nonimouse said:

Busy day on Saturday, marshalling for BAMA, Saxon Express. Up very early and away to be on time for the 0800 marshals briefing. I'd done the vehicle checks the evening before.

Arrived at the Park Ferme, only to find that some lowlife scum had nicked the winch rope off my vehicle, whilst parked outside my house!

I don't live in a town or city, I live in a small, friendly village on Sedgemoor

To be fair it was a crappy bit of rope - Viking (Sampson) from Murica. Not rated. I was just using it up. But the hook was special. A 7tonne SWL swivel hook in red, given to me by the late Nick Jennings, just before he passed away. Nick was a very close friend and so there are sentimental issues.

I'll find the scrote who did it - small village life.

I've decided to buy a new rope to replace it, from The Cheapset Rope Company. They are an excellent business, selling professional rope to the fishing industry. From 4mm to 100mm plasma, including SK95 and 98.

SK98 is deemed the best for 'off road' purposes, but they also sell DM20. Now DM20 is used for rigging, as well as nets and hauling. It's as strong as SK98, but more durable - still Dyneema.

This time round, I've ordered 90' of 12mm, with an an 8" diameter, reinforced loop, spliced into one end. But I'm not leaving it on the vehicle overnight!

I feel your pain

I had a winch in my stables on a receiver plate that I could attach to the front or back of my car. Was in my shed for at least two years untouched and now it is gone. Suspect I know who took it too but no proof and wouldn't know where to find him even then.

49 minutes ago, Simon_CSK said:

I feel your pain

I had a winch in my stables on a receiver plate that I could attach to the front or back of my car. Was in my shed for at least two years untouched and now it is gone. Suspect I know who took it too but no proof and wouldn't know where to find him even then.

Thank you.

I now know who took it. An aquaintence dobbed him in. So I'm going to have a chat with his father, who will wail his hide. I only want the hook back really

• Like 2

My trailer winch was stolen soon after I moved here, and some diesel. Cheapo thing. What really annoyed is they took a Honda mover I'd just fixed. 

No hassle since, and security is a lot tighter here now.

On 3/20/2023 at 4:23 PM, Nonimouse said:

If I was staying here for any length of time, I would fit a decent camera on the house wall.... but as soon as it sells, I'm homeless, so will no doubt be living in the Disco

I've recently started using camera systems made by Reolink. I have to say I'm mightily impressed, quick and easy to setup. Either power or PoE, some have WiFi built in. 8k video, motion detection, alarms etc., all built in.

Got Mum a PTZ version (pan, tilt and zoom) and we mounted it in the lambing barn. In a 20x5m section of the barn it was good enough even with night vision to see if a ewe was starting to lamb. Could even talk to them :lol:.

All I'm saying is £100 and three screws (provided) and running a cable for power is all you need, you can take it with you as well.

• Like 1

The reolink kit is frustrating. It's technically very good, but the WiFi connection on mine was rubbish.

I don't think it copes with mesh WiFi very well. I ended up wiring mine to the access point. Rock solid eversince. It's very much in the client server school of CCTV, unlike the modern ring/blink phone friendly type stuff.