Alternator stripping belts

someone please help!

I have fitted a new alternator and it is shredding belts like no ones business, we have changed the water pump, made sure tensions right... all we can think is it the back bolt on the alternator has stripped its thread and cannot take out or tighten for love or money, would this cause this problem? 

Welcome to the forum

As a starter you need to repair the stripped bolt, because that will not tighten it may be allowing the alternator to flex, thus putting the alternator out of alignment and causing strain on the belt. To repair the stripped thread, drill  through oversize and put a nut and bolt in if possible

Keep us posted please

Regards Stephen

Yep that's been very hot, hard to see the inside of the  alternator pulley,  but it looks clean when photo expanded, looks like water pump is failing probably not moving freely as Mike said, probably why rubber has filled pulley up as it will be the point of highest friction therefore the hottest point

Regards Stephen 

• Like 2

Two points spring to mind;

That mass of melted rubber in the Vee of the pulley MUST be mechanically cleaned out before another belt is fitted.

The bolt that passes through the slotted adjustment link MUST have a large diameter thick flat washer between the bolt head and the slotted link. Without it the bolt head does not have enough clamping power to ensure the bolt doesn't slide along the link, loosening the belt, which will then slip, allowing the belt to overheat and melt.

I also agree that it looks as if the water pump is seized, so the belt has to slide over the pulley. This should have produced a terrible screeching noise before the belt failed.

Regards.

• Like 1

that’s confusing then as the water pump is brand new, literally last week as it had a bit of a wobble so thought it might have been that. We’ve managed to get the stripped bolt out and secure a new one on the bottom bracket. Possibly the pulley? That’s the ONLY thing left we haven’t changed which brings me to my next challenge of the one that fits my alternator has apparently been discontinued and need to find an alternative….RTC5686. I can drive to wales and no problems then go on a journey no more than 2 miles down the road and it goes! 😔😔😔 damsel in max distress! 😂

also is it worth mentioning that I think the fan has been snagging on the shroud so possibly not spinning at all/to it’s full potential? Could this cause it to overheat?! 

2 hours ago, jennydefender90 said:

also is it worth mentioning that I think the fan has been snagging on the shroud so possibly not spinning at all/to it’s full potential? Could this cause it to overheat?! 

This would not help as the fan is connected mechanically to the water pump pulley, so yes that could cause major issues.

What brand is the water pump?

Looking at your location if you need urgent help try https://www.facebook.com/groups/shirelrc/ there's loads of folks very close to you who I'm sure could offer a hand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jennydefender90 said:

45 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

This would not help as the fan is connected mechanically to the water pump pulley, so yes that could cause major issues.

From the pictures, it seems to me that the fan is viscous coupled, whilst a snagging (slow moving) fan wouldn't help the cooling I think the VC will slip well before the pulley started to slip enough to melt the belt.

Regards.

What engine is it? Those bolts on the water pump don't look like they've been moved in months but like an above post says that's got more than hot to do that, did you not hear it in anyway to give you an idea of the issue

3 hours ago, jennydefender90 said:

Possibly the pulley? That’s the ONLY thing left we haven’t changed which brings me to my next challenge of the one that fits my alternator has apparently been discontinued and need to find an alternative….RTC5686. 

seems to be plenty of these available through the usual outlets, not cheap mind you but available

regards Stephen

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

What brand is the water pump?

Looking at your location if you need urgent help try https://www.facebook.com/groups/shirelrc/ there's loads of folks very close to you who I'm sure could offer a hand.

Thanks, it’s a britpart water pump that was fitted literally other week, it was snagging belts before that was changed so can’t see that being the issue? 

New does not necessarily mean good.  Unfortunately, Britpart almost always means bad.  Avoid Britpart wherever an alternative exists - most of their parts are fit only for the scrap bin and I (and many others) consider their steering and brake parts lethal - never, under any circumstance, use Britpart brake components.

I'd start by making sure the fan isn't snagging and everything is turning freely as mentioned above. Even with a working viscous, a stuck fan will put a lot of strain on the water pump, and could be the cause of both the previous failure and the slipping belt.

1 hour ago, western said:

Spacer between engine timing case & lower end of the alternator adjuster link, IIRC the spacer is 45mm long. 

I thought you would know. :)

OP check its there. Without it, it couldbe enough to cause poor pulley alignment?

On 4/28/2023 at 8:20 PM, jennydefender90 said:

that’s confusing then as the water pump is brand new, literally last week as it had a bit of a wobble so thought it might have been that. We’ve managed to get the stripped bolt out and secure a new one on the bottom bracket. Possibly the pulley? That’s the ONLY thing left we haven’t changed which brings me to my next challenge of the one that fits my alternator has apparently been discontinued and need to find an alternative….RTC5686. I can drive to wales and no problems then go on a journey no more than 2 miles down the road and it goes! 😔😔😔 damsel in max distress! 😂

Judging by the photos, I’d say that while the rear bolt on the alternator isn’t going to help and should be rectified as a matter of urgency before it shears and allows the alternator (and it’s wiring) to flail, the belt problem appears to me to be due to the water pump pulley, as that is where all the melting appears to be.

Considering the new water pump of very dubious quality and a fan that is impinging on the shroud (why? The parts should be well clear of each other) and you have several issues pointing at the same cause.

The fan impingement could well add drag through the viscous hub, even if cool and in good condition, causing the belt to slip on the pulley.  Bad bearings or bad alignment of the impeller inside the pump casing could also do the same.

Unless you have a mix and match vehicle with parts of inconsistent specification together, then the fan should be well centred in the shroud.  If the shroud, engine and fan are from the same spec vehicle, then it suggests that either the engine mountings have collapsed, the radiator has shifted or the water pump axis is off, in which case the impeller could be fouling the inside of the pump housing, probably on the timing case side.  You don’t want to have to shell out for a new one of those, so you need to remove and inspect the pump and check the back of the housing in the timing cover for signs of impeller contact.  The problems caused by a badly made or incorrect pump could be much more than shredding belts.