200tdi 110 no drive

hurbie

hello all , 

my until this afternoon very reliable 1987 110 with a disco 200tdi, lt77 and lt230 has lost all drive ...

the car stopped with a noise like your having a bad gearshift , a loud grinding noise from the gearbox/transfer case area , with some trouble i got the car another 500 meter , sometimes with a little drive , the remaining distance coasting .

took the PTO plate of the transfer case and looked at the mainshaft and gear , spline's are still there . when i put the car in gear (handbrake on) the mainshaft and gear do not turn ....

drained the main gearbox , and no metal , just a little "swarf" , also on the magnetic drainplug .

got the filter out and no metal there ....

so what may be the cause , catastrofic failure of the main box ?

6 minutes ago, western said:

Check the hub drive member splines, one of mine strip & made the vehicle non movable under it own power until I selected centre difflock engaged

power is not reaching the transfer case ,  you can put the car in gear , with handbrake on , and the mainshaft is not spinning (only making awfull grinding noise's.

so it has to be something before the transfer box .

I had the exact same experience a few months ago. By the time I took the gearbox out I had 4th gear in every gear but that was only after a lazy recovery driver was determined to drive it onto the flat bed, he had to winch it in the end but not before playing a tune on the gears. Unfortunately mine wasn't the clutch so I ended up changing the gearbox.

Mike

15 hours ago, hurbie said:

after a bit off google , it seems the 4th gear is direct , there's no drive in 4th either . 

Can you make the noise start & stop with the clutch? If so, it's probably not the clutch... could be a broken mainshaft, I suppose whatever it is now you're pretty much guaranteed to be taking the gearbox out to fix it one way or another.

box is out , 

20230512_145409.thumb.jpg.7d58ad9c5e83342775f355dd6ff99468.jpg

this doesn't look to healthy :

20230512_145909.thumb.jpg.7a5048f2ef882a2787c2a402a5ae1546.jpg

is it supposed to do this

luckely the engine from the Eurover project has a fairly new clutch in it , so put that in , box is back on .

now i only have to put all the remaining bits back together 🙂 

20230512_120122.jpg

Edited by hurbie
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, hurbie said:

box is out , 

20230512_145409.thumb.jpg.7d58ad9c5e83342775f355dd6ff99468.jpg

this doesn't look to healthy :

20230512_145909.thumb.jpg.7a5048f2ef882a2787c2a402a5ae1546.jpg

is it supposed to do this

luckely the engine from the Eurover project has a fairly new clutch in it , so put that in , box is back on .

now i only have to put all the remaining bits back together 🙂 

20230512_120122.jpg

At least it is an easy fix. Never seen a clutch fail in that way before

The centre of the driven plate letting go is a pretty normal failure mode for Tdi clutches from my experience, often around 100k miles or within 10 years.  

Good result though, much simpler and cheaper than gearbox issues.

Steve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peaklander said:

That's a result. Far better than a gearbox failure. However, why has it failed? Can you move the gearbox input shaft?

didn't notice any play in the shaft .

in hindsight , the failure wasn't recent , about a month ago i noticed the same noise as when the clutch failed , a short "grinding" of gears (i thought) , before that the clutch was "hopping" when driving real slow , so probebly the springs were gone some time ago .... 

Edited by hurbie

rotated all the tyres (spare to right rear , right rear to front right etc) and found a almost broken drive member ...

had a good spare around , so fitted that , but the driveshaft is'nt in a very good order , so i have to make some time to fix that as well ...

• Like 1