What recovery gear do people carry?

5 hours ago, elbekko said:

I'd be more inclined to carry this around - seems very useful (but a bit spendy):

2to1offsetwinchringyankumtowpointsweb.webp.2ec6cd40493d8a944c900a268b608efd.webp
https://yankum.com/products/offset-winch-ring

I've been watch Casey Ladelle giving these a go. I'm struggling to see the need.

Brendan Metcalf is sending me over one of his kits to hold a rope in the groove on a normal ring....

2 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

I've been watch Casey Ladelle giving these a go. I'm struggling to see the need.

Brendan Metcalf is sending me over one of his kits to hold a rope in the groove on a normal ring....

Only real bonus I see is a weight saving over a normal snatch block. If I’m interpreting it right, it looks like two can be used instead of 3 normal snatch blocks too? Seems like a lot of friction for the rope going round the outside as this type doesn’t spin like the redwinch ones. 

12 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

The big upside, from his videos, is 2 of them can do the same as 4 snatch blocks, since the rope can go arpund the outside and the middle. And the ring not spinning arpund the soft shackle seems useful as well.

12 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Only real bonus I see is a weight saving over a normal snatch block. If I’m interpreting it right, it looks like two can be used instead of 3 normal snatch blocks too? Seems like a lot of friction for the rope going round the outside as this type doesn’t spin like the redwinch ones. 

No different than a smooth fairlead.

One of the reasons I've got all my shackles listed for sale is because I want to shift to having no metal liable to fly anywhere if possible. 

One of those rings are likely to be on the shopping list. 

12 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

One of the reasons I've got all my shackles listed for sale is because I want to shift to having no metal liable to fly anywhere if possible. 

One of those rings are likely to be on the shopping list. 

That's great except as David points out, rarely are recovery points smooth/round enough for rope and your hook rarely fits. Let alone when there's no recovery points in the first place.

Personally I have an issue with all this gear that relies on the rope sliding over it. It increases friction thus increasing wear and heat, there's also the mechanical losses caused by the above.

Mike

• Like 1

As Mike says, soft shackles etc. are nice if you're removing potential flying lumps of metal from a setup but not if you're trying to attach something securely to a less-than-great recovery point where there's sharp edges or nasty angles etc.

I'm undecided on the donut snatch block things, they seem like a decent idea but as others have said it's possible to imagine them imparting unwelcome heat into a synthetic line... I've not heard of any failures here or elsewhere so perhaps a non-issue especially in typical British off-roading weather?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, miketomcat said:

That's great except as David points out, rarely are recovery points smooth/round enough for rope and your hook rarely fits. Let alone when there's no recovery points in the first place.

To clarify, I was going to keep one medium size bow shackle for stuff like that, plus a lot of the soft shackles jow come with sheaths that protect them from the sharper edges. 

In LGT I'm not going to be recovering anything much heavier than I am, so the decision was made to focus on what I needed to get myself out, as selfish as that may seem, but in reality if there is a long hard pull to be done, it would be more likely done by someone else entirely. 

• Like 1

I leant a long while back ALWAYS have what recovery gear you want in the truck AT ALL TIMES

If its taken in and out the time you are out and you need "X" it will be at home somewhere and you did have time / memory / didn't think you'd need it

Rear door has bee side mounted so easy to get into rear

so I have in / on my 90

Ground anchor mounted to cage.

Kinetic rope

3 x winches... and shackles strops extension winch rope gloves etc

Giant Halfords Pro socket set

Spare wheel

High Lift mounted across the rear of the cage horizonally

Tree surgeons Hand saw (lethal thing !)

First aid kit, fire extinguisher

Then I have 2 x ammo boxes on to of each wheel arch  with :

F off Big Lump hammer / chisel / normal hammer

Ratchet strap

Air line for on board air tank

Spare Serpentine V8 Belt / pair of trackrods

Oil

Water

Self almalgam tape

Hose clips

zippy ties

Rags and bog rolls

90.JPG

I'm less than impressed by any of the 'Rings' . Unless it's a perfect set up the rope will come out of the groove for a pastime. It's utterly useless for changing direction of pull, for the same reason. If the set up loses tension, say for exmple, yopu are using wheel assist, then, again, the rope jumps. Hence the reason I'm looking at Brennan's piece of kit.

I will admit to be ing a Luddite. I dislike change for the sake of change. Why re-invent the wheel?  Just make it better quality. These last few years have seen a real jump in companies re-inventing recovery equipment, simply to sell to the shiny brigade

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

I will admit to be ing a Luddite. I dislike change for the sake of change. Why re-invent the wheel?  Just make it better quality. These last few years have seen a real jump in companies re-inventing recovery equipment, simply to sell to the shiny brigade

My assumption is that a lot of this stuff works well in very specific scenarios or specific events, and then gets spread far & wide because it's new and shiny.

Meanwhile there's no money to be made or internet points to be scored for making a really good quality regular old shackle or snatch block.

On 1/12/2024 at 5:57 PM, JLM said:

Maybe also list them in the order in which you last needed to get them out,  much of this kit seems to be very rarely used!

Off-road (usually recovering others) my order is:

Gloves go on as I'm getting out of the car, sturdy tow rope lives in the boot ready to be hooked right on, other stuff is under the rear seat or in the rear cubby although I mean to get round to some nicer storage for some of it.

If the tow rope doesn't do it it's over to someone with a winch, usually @miketomcat :lol:

• Like 4

Straying even further form the OP, Angus and I are looking to run a winching/recovery day over at Binegar. Probably in March. It will be a refresher/ new starter/ interesting techniques not in the books/try kit day. There will be a cost, simply for land and insurance, but it shouldn't be too much

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

Straying even further form the OP, Angus and I are looking to run a winching/recovery day over at Binegar. Probably in March. It will be a refresher/ new starter/ interesting techniques not in the books/try kit day. There will be a cost, simply for land and insurance, but it shouldn't be too much

I’d be interested, even without a vehicle at the moment. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

Definitely interested if I can get there at the time.

Mike

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Definitely interested if I can get there at the time.

Mike

You and Angus can talk boaty things, he's the senior coast guard officer for the area. Likes nice boats

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

@Nonimouse can you ping me details etc. as I think Shires would send a few of our marshals your way for that if we can.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Curious, who would be the insurer for this kind of thing? I assume it is not a motorsport event? Happy if you prefer to PM the answer. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Curious, who would be the insurer for this kind of thing? I assume it is not a motorsport event? Happy if you prefer to PM the answer. Thanks.

I'd do it under the 4x4Days TPL and under my PI insurance as Professional Off Road Driving Instructor. There would also be an acceptance form for the attendees to sign. As it's not a competition, it's relatively simple to label it as an event.

• Thanks 1

All a bit extreme for popping down to Fortnum & Masons, what what ?

I dont go off roading for the sake of it, but a couple of three ton strops, a couple of two ton strops. Bow shackles, and a spade. Leather gloves and a couple of Hi Viz vests, Britannia Rescue membership card. And some liquorice allsorts.

• Like 1

I 'recovered' a car stuck on a speed bump last night. No pictures as it was dark, cold and I couldn't be bothered. I was in my Suzuki Vitara (2wd) on the way back from a most excellent event at Wookey Hole Theatre. Just coming in to Wells on the back road, we came across a slammed BMW E36 that had grounded on one of those odd speed bumps that are in the middle of a lane. I will admit to laughing. I always carry a kinetic rope in the back of the Suzuki, along with a couple of soft shackles (just in case)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My kit isn't too dissimilar to the previous lists... waffle boards, front winch (13000 lbs, rope not wire), selection of shackles (metal and soft), selection of strops, snatch block, winch rope extension (older rope with eye at one end, hook at the other), spade, RAC membership, but most importantly I always take another vehicle with its own driver and recovery gear! 🙂

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Most of my off roading these days is as a marshal at our local pay'n'play days. The land is a mix of woodland and open fields.

On the front of my 110 is a Goldfish TDS9.5 with 11mm Bowrope and decent sized yellow hook that fits securely around the neck of a standard 50mm tow ball. 
I've bought all sorts of recovery kit over the years, but the stuff that lives in the truck are 2x swingaway snatch blocks, a shortening chain, 3x flat webbing tree strops, 3x soft lifting slings, numerous rated steel shackles in LR & Suzuki sizes, a spare/extension synthetic winch rope and a 24mm Nylon recovery rope. That tends to cover most situations I encounter. I have a KERR, but it sees little use as we don't allow them at our play days as there are too many trucks with unsuitable attachment points.  I have a Hi-lift but haven't used it in years so that stays at home, along with the waffle boards.
I'm yet to be convinced about soft shackles as when I've used other folks ones they have always been a PITFA to get undone, especially having been dragged through sloppy mud.