EGT probe thread

Yes the VDO Vision is nice and I already have their boost gauge. I was put-off by the gauge requirement for it, as on one UK supplier website they are quoting ££ for a compatible gauge. Probably any type K will do though. I need to get a data sheet. I like the idea of a digital gauge though because they are smaller and lighter. My Mudstuff panel is getting a bit cluttered.

I see that in Simon Pelly's photo above the EGT gauge is mounted in what looks like a Mudpod, on top of the dash.  I’ve swapped my fuel gauge into my Mudpod and have the EGT gauge in its place in the dash.  I did this because exhaust gas temperature can change very quickly and you need to be aware if you are approaching your maximum allowable temperature.  On the other hand, you usually only need to look at your fuel gauge every hour or so, unless you are running on fumes and hope!

Mike

Instrument positioning feels like quite a personal choice. For me, the instruments that I look at most often are speed, rev, temp and fuel. These are in the main console. The boost, battery and EGT on the mini MUD console looked at less frequently. Only on long dual carriage way type hills does the EGT really start to show any movement around 500 to 600 Celsius. The battery gauge is useful to me as a indication of alternator working. Boost is useful every now and then to give an indication that the turbo is doing something and waste gate is set appropriately. 

1 hour ago, Sigi_H said:

Normaly EGT is only interesting while tuning the engine. As soon as you know how the engine and temps behaves it becomes useless

Well yes but I would still like to get to that position.

If I place anything in front of the swept ares of the windscreen wipers, my MOT tester issues a fail! So I used to remove the sat-nav sucker. Now I remove the Ram mounts. Otherwise it's a nice place to go for the test.

On 2/12/2024 at 11:39 AM, Peaklander said:
On 2/12/2024 at 9:44 AM, Sigi_H said:

Normaly EGT is only interesting while tuning the engine. As soon as you know how the engine and temps behaves it becomes useless

Well yes but I would still like to get to that position.

I wanted to say, that the position of the gauge becomes temporary and secondary if you see it like that.

On 2/12/2024 at 8:44 AM, Sigi_H said:

Normaly EGT is only interesting while tuning the engine. As soon as you know how the engine and temps behaves it becomes useles.

I find mine really useful and use it routinely. For prolonged runs up hills, with a heavy load in the back or going down the motorway, it's a useful reading to tell you when to back off a bit to a safer temperature. 

16 hours ago, monkie said:
On 2/12/2024 at 9:44 AM, Sigi_H said:

Normaly EGT is only interesting while tuning the engine. As soon as you know how the engine and temps behaves it becomes useles.

I find mine really useful and use it routinely. For prolonged runs up hills, with a heavy load in the back or going down the motorway, it's a useful reading to tell you when to back off a bit to a safer temperature. 

There can be good reasons to tune an engine to have excesive temps in extreme situations. Then of course it is good to see EGT always. But normally people like to have their tuning always in a save mode. In first mode it is best to have an EGT gauge with acoustic alarm. No need to watch it permanentely

5 hours ago, Sigi_H said:

There can be good reasons to tune an engine to have excesive temps in extreme situations. Then of course it is good to see EGT always. But normally people like to have their tuning always in a save mode. In first mode it is best to have an EGT gauge with acoustic alarm. No need to watch it permanentely

I have the gauge where I can see it but ignore it for 99% of the time. The only way I can get to unsafe levels is when towing uphill on a motorway and then obviously dependant on weight and size of the hill. Worth having for that as easy to just back off a fraction and see the drop instantly

Thank you fella, just got home now to find it in the post box, me personally I think you could do something with them, every little helps as they say, I'll leave a donation with the forum, thanks again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1