EGT probe thread

I am about to buy an EGT gauge with a probe (direct from the USA). I have been presented with a choice of fittings as you can see. I believe that they are often supplied with 1/8"NPT thread. I don't have a tap for that. I can specify an M8 or M10 thread and for that I do have a tap.

The NPT thread is taper and I suppose that it might be more secure than M8 but then again would it? Any advice would be great. Which one would you go for?

image.thumb.png.2f85fa79e72b6b2d1041924884a0d6bd.png

If anyone wants to start making ones like Simon made, I will be first in the queue, I gave an EGR blanking plate to an engineer friend but he just tapped it at 45 degrees and it looks awful 😢 

28 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

I will be second. I saw that orientation on a YouTube video and thought - "yes".

2 hours ago, 92a said:

If anyone wants to start making ones like Simon made, I will be first in the queue, I gave an EGR blanking plate to an engineer friend but he just tapped it at 45 degrees and it looks awful 😢 

What's the thread in the bung, if I have the right taps I could easily make a couple for you guys

Regards Stephen

I have one fitted to my 110 200tdi. Bought it off a well know seller site for a price cheaper than fleabay. It is 1/8 NPT thread. I tapped the manifold when off the engine.

Screenshot_20240209_195738_Amazon Shopping.jpg

20240113_164107.jpg

20231226_171805.jpg

Edited by soutie
Wrong photo

11 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Any particular reason for going for one from the states? Got to be a suitable supplier in the UK?

I am looking at Auber Instruments after following a link from a post on this forum. They do some nice panel mount displays, with a max memory and an alarm. Can buy with the probe too. Plus I can buy in $ 😜

• Like 1

11 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Any particular reason for going for one from the states? Got to be a suitable supplier in the UK?

In years gone by, for EGT, I bought K type thermocouples, with cable, from a firm called
Kalestead Ltd
Network House
300-302 Cressing Rd
Braintree
CM7 3PG
They still have a web presence https://kalestead.co.uk/ but appear to have changed slightly.

I do not see thermocouples listed, and as today is Saturday the office is closed.

I was feeding into a personally built interface, the 'display' was a laptop running Picoscope, in about 1999.

Regards.

Yes you can watch the temperature change quicker with a 3mm, I personally prefer an analogue gauge as you only need a rough idea. I bought glow shift from the states because I could get a matching diesel boost gauge. That VDO vision one above is very nice though...

• Like 3