Small 3D scanner?

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

Depending on the colour scheme, texture mode might work. Just pure white could be a challenge, and might require markers. A small turntable (maybe you have a welding positioner or something?) could also help for that.

Lol it is a pure white, no stickers it does have a tinted black visor and shinny black vinyl trim....... from what I've learned i'm starting with a real challenge, I've got markers coming as well (just a tip Aliexpress, twice the markers for the same price)

Funny you should mention "turn table. rotory weld positioner" I just came on to ask some questions about just this...... 

After the helmet, the next two projects will require detailed scans of complete motor/transmissions.... we do have various setups at work for rotary welding, none of them are heavy duty (capable of 50+ kg) so I've started designing up one that should be good enough to put 300+kg that I can scan these on. Scanning turntables cap out at 200kg and that one was $650 nzd lol out of my budget and it doesn't come with a earth clamp ability for welding 
Now my question is would a radius'd mounting arm similar to a photogrammitry cammera setup 

donut-scanner-800.png?w=800

be a worthwhile addition or am I over thinking this lol 

1 hour ago, simonr said:

Speaking to one of my friends, he says he uses Blender when he's trying to work with 'sucked sweet' (as he put it) type shapes to extract surfaces & bring them in to SW. 

Thank you for inquiring, that is good to hear..... unfortunatly the guys that recomended it didn't do more than edit with it and send to there slicer

8 minutes ago, De Ranged said:

After the helmet, the next two projects will require detailed scans of complete motor/transmissions.... we do have various setups at work for rotary welding, none of them are heavy duty (capable of 50+ kg) so I've started designing up one that should be good enough to put 300+kg that I can scan these on. Scanning turntables cap out at 200kg and that one was $650 nzd lol out of my budget and it doesn't come with a earth clamp ability for welding 

Not sure how useful a turntable would be for that, just hang it off a chain and move the scanner around?

5 minutes ago, De Ranged said:

Now my question is would a radius'd mounting arm similar to a photogrammitry cammera setup be a worthwhile addition or am I over thinking this lol 

I don't think that's necessary at all, it might help with photogrammetry but I don't think it'd do much for this type of scanner.

2 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Not sure how useful a turntable would be for that, just hang it off a chain and move the scanner around?

I don't think that's necessary at all, it might help with photogrammetry but I don't think it'd do much for this type of scanner.

My vague understanding of photogrammetry is that it needs to know angles and distances so an arm like that is a benefit, but can’t see it being useful for these kinds of scanner. 

I'd have thought a wheely trolley would do to rotate an engine on the floor, all the photogrammetry I've seen won't mind about slight wobbles in distance or rotation as long as it can pick up on details.

7 hours ago, elbekko said:

just hang it off a chain and move the scanner around

lol I never thought of that..... use a steel cable and you'd be able to "wind" it up so you'd be able to get 1-2 rotations

Thanks for the imput guys, I wasn't shore how critical distance was.... the Revopoint software has a distance gauge on the right hand side and in settings you set your ideal scanning distance 

I'll still finish the design as it would be nice to have my own welding turntable and I've thought of a couple of features that will make it a bit more versitile than what we have and so far I'm at $100 nzd in new bits and a few bits n pieces I have stored.... stuff that was too good to throw out lol (A near new wheel bearing, pair of lathe change gears I picked up as part of an auction lot, a compression spring from an old hilux drum brake and scap and offcut steel, I enjoy scrap heap challenges

The distance is important - but most scanners will tell you when the distance is correct.

A turntable with a fixed, adjustable scanner is useful for some scanners.  Mine needs you to kind of 'paint' the surface - so having it fixed isn't helpful.

I do have one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BJ3FQ9Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

A super-cheap turntable which has been useful for things that are just a bit too heavy to move around - things like a hub assembly.  As Fridge suggested, I've used a wheely trolley for bigger things like a 60kW electric motor for a wind machine.

I did a bit more scanning today as I had some more time at the workshop.

The scan spray works well, but you need to remember to put the scanner into texture mode, otherwise it doesn't help at all.

Also did a quick measurement comparison:

20240312_202757.thumb.jpg.cf8a0b1fb7f8a95e46d724c3ef644237.jpg

20240312_202750.thumb.jpg.ab2d88fa7571ddac38d973cb2c1d5b52.jpg

I'll take that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Blanco said:

A good result,.... I can't help picturing all the youngsters wondering where the digital scale is though!

Just how old do you think I am? :stirthepot:

That's just the style we have laying around at the workshop, I must admit I'm about 100x quicker reading a digital scale over a vernier, but I do know how to. And at least the vernier doesn't have a dead battery whenever you need it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

Just how old do you think I am? :stirthepot:

That's just the style we have laying around at the workshop, I must admit I'm about 100x quicker reading a digital scale over a vernier, but I do know how to. And at least the vernier doesn't have a dead battery whenever you need it.

Dead batteries are the very reason I have proper verniers at home and the workshop. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Dead batteries are the very reason I have proper verniers at home and the workshop. 

Same here - plus at work it stops everyone else stealing my verniers because they can't read them :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

Same!

I do have digital as well.... but the proper ones always work.

• Like 1

My Verniers have dials. Super easy to read but they are perhaps a little more fragile than a simple Vernier scale. (touch wood, not broken one yet!)

Oh, I forgot to add. Yesterday I mainly used the scanner in this configuration:

20240312_185931.thumb.jpg.078874ea2dcca0c31159dd9b6bb5ba8c.jpg

That's the included WiFi link, which I connected my laptop to. And then just used a Bluetooth mouse app on my phone to press start/pause.

Way easier to swing around without being attached to a cable, but still all the processing power of a proper computer :)

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 9:05 PM, simonr said:

The distance is important - but most scanners will tell you when the distance is correct.

A turntable with a fixed, adjustable scanner is useful for some scanners.  Mine needs you to kind of 'paint' the surface - so having it fixed isn't helpful.

I do have one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07BJ3FQ9Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

A super-cheap turntable which has been useful for things that are just a bit too heavy to move around - things like a hub assembly.  As Fridge suggested, I've used a wheely trolley for bigger things like a 60kW electric motor for a wind machine.

IKEA sell a turntable that would work for smaller items up to the size and weight of an overdrive, starter or diff centre, but it might struggle a bit with a complete diff.  Useful for the price.

@elbekko how many frames do you get on creality ferret before it says you've achieved the max?

I get to 1001 frames, but I'm not sure if it's device dependant as that is on my phone with the app.

goes your laptop work with the WiFi bridge?  I am awaiting a new laptop that I'm hoping will work better (current one about 10 years old), still runs cad fine, but does not allow photogrammetry (needs an Nvidia GPU with CUDA)

I am doing some scans, to fill in the gaps for engine and gearbox mounts to use in freecad.

what settings do you run with when you are doing a large size scan?

etl/obj/PLT?

hole fill?

have you tried mixed mode scans, IE large format scans for the overall area, and then medium or small high detail scans for those areas that you may want more info (bolt hole locations), and stitching the scans together?

36 minutes ago, robertspark said:

@elbekko how many frames do you get on creality ferret before it says you've achieved the max?

I've done scans with ~3000 frames, but that's always with a laptop. I think the phone is limited to about a 1000, yes.

goes your laptop work with the WiFi bridge?  I am awaiting a new laptop that I'm hoping will work better (current one about 10 years old), still runs cad fine, but does not allow photogrammetry (needs an Nvidia GPU with CUDA)

Yeah, works fine, even with a laptop that doesn't do WiFi 6.

I am doing some scans, to fill in the gaps for engine and gearbox mounts to use in freecad.

what settings do you run with when you are doing a large size scan?

etl/obj/PLT?

hole fill?

have you tried mixed mode scans, IE large format scans for the overall area, and then medium or small high detail scans for those areas that you may want more info (bolt hole locations), and stitching the scans together?

So far I've mostly done high quality large scans in either geometry or texture mode. Then optimising with the highest resolution and mesh count.

Last time I went scanning I stitched some scans together, that seemed to work very well! Does result in a huge mesh though.

I haven't done anything in the past week with that last scan I took, should get around to it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tried doing some more modelling yesterday. It's driving me up the wall at the moment. I'm not sure if the scan is bad, or the chassis on @Escape's car is crooked, but I just can't get any symmetry out of it. I'll have to verify some more measurements with a tape measure, with some luck it just did a bad correlation with combining scans, but all the lines look correct, the LH chassis rail is just at an angle and about 7mm out from what it should be according to RAVE :blink:

Also, Fusion really can't handle the huge mesh. Seemingly not helped by needing to push it to the cloud every time you save, which you have to do often in case it crashes. This is on my powerful laptop with an i7 7700K, 1060 (mobile) GPU, and 32GB RAM...

So any frustration from a potentially iffy mesh is amplified with frustration from Fusion constantly hanging.

Thats not confidence inspiring for me....(still haven't used my scanner, planing on giving it a go tomorrow) my computer is a 9yr old I5 that has potentailly 16gig of ram.... I say that because I've been getting memory errors lately as for internet lol on a good day I get 250Kb transfer speed... yes you read that right Kilo bytes not mega or giga lol.... we are on old damaged copper line that the provider wont fix or upgrade and no option for fibre... the only option is to go to satilite with the $$$ 

On 4/6/2024 at 9:30 AM, elbekko said:

Tried doing some more modelling yesterday. It's driving me up the wall at the moment. I'm not sure if the scan is bad, or the chassis on @Escape's car is crooked, but I just can't get any symmetry out of it. I'll have to verify some more measurements with a tape measure, with some luck it just did a bad correlation with combining scans, but all the lines look correct, the LH chassis rail is just at an angle and about 7mm out from what it should be according to RAVE :blink:

Also, Fusion really can't handle the huge mesh. Seemingly not helped by needing to push it to the cloud every time you save, which you have to do often in case it crashes. This is on my powerful laptop with an i7 7700K, 1060 (mobile) GPU, and 32GB RAM...

So any frustration from a potentially iffy mesh is amplified with frustration from Fusion constantly hanging.

Looks like it's the car, and not the scan :) Well, also :( That means I get to take my bumper off to check how differently crooked that one is...

Was very common with 4wd's when I ran my shop I'd say 9 out of 10 were no longer straight and symetrical (if they were to begin with), bumpers and bar work was always by eye lol 

Oh got my scanner working...... just playing with the mesh in Blender and Revopoints software, a brake caliper for my Harley..... I've got alot of learning lol 

• Like 1

I'm not impressed with the scanner, I thought it was good but there are a few niggles that are just making it carp.....

I was using it on a phone but found it limited on the frames side, about 1300 any it stops.... I used it on my 8 year old laptop and it was not happy on fine detail mesh.....

I got a new laptop, 32g, gamer laptop with separate Nvidia graphics card 8gb (I wish to use photogrammetry which needs to use an Nvidia card, and an i7 processor.... not that flies.... no limits.... scan whatever and without frame limit..... BUT....

the mesh settings you have to run in manual or ot does strange things.... lowers the resolution..... fills holes and applies a back.....  but the software does not allow you to save your manual settings for one click processing.

when you merge meshes instead of it taking the difference of the meshes to improve the quality... for stuff like holes and features it will literally just merge a cqrp scan with a good scan to give you a carper scan!

you also seem stuck using the software so I cannot try another point cloud application to see if things can be improved 

I also got a mountain of dots from AliExpress as it did not like scanning featureless and textureless chassis parts.... or anything bland (brackets)

not convinced at the moment on it's usefulness..... sure if you want to scan it just for a model in blender great.... but if you are planning on making chassis brackets to bolt to existing mounting holes or route an exhaust..... not so sure ....   (IE to use it with something CNC like plasma ..... watch this space.....

disappointed at present 

• Sad 1