4x4Adventures Winch Challenge

JST

Four punches in the bog claimed my powersteering and both alternator belts , TWICE .

Yes, I suffered the same fate ............ fan belt and PAS belt were both eaten by the bog and I had no choice other than to shut down the engine when the water temp reached 120 degrees................however, we all know what happens when you shut down a water submerged engine ............ I drained out 7 litres of 'milk' last night.........so the engine only took on about 1 litre of water ............. I can only assume this was taken in visa the dipstick and maybe the now redundant dizzy

After a failed recovery attempt by HH ................. Jase, Shaun, Lardy, & Si came the the rescue ............. thanks guys for taking time and effort to free me from the bog. :i-m_so_happy:

In terms of damage, crank damper pulley has split in the center of the V , the rad and both fans are totally clogged with silt, but these are easy fixes.

Its just a matter now of flushing the engine and fingers crossed there will be no lasting damage :( ...............however, as I drove up onto the flat bed recovery truchk it was interesting to see well over 100 to 150 lb of oil pressure (emulsified oil)..................... I've checked the axles, T/Box ans G/Box ..... these appear to have no water ingress at all.

As a point of interest there were some F**k off big rocks and sticks in the bog ........... I had two 'hand sized' rocks jammed between the panhard rod / axle.

At least it proved the point that EDIS is completely water proof ................ whilst in the water, I was able restart and it never missed a beat.

The winch behaved faultlessly ................. I have decided that with this set up I can single line pull myself, at a fair speed, into a lot of trouble :rolleyes:

Some pictures for the sadists to smile at............

gallery_269_31_40429.jpg

gallery_269_31_8632.jpg

gallery_269_31_8805.jpg

gallery_269_31_15115.jpg

Thanks to James for another excellent event .............. a good mix of competitors, but above all else and without exception all the competitors were friendly and took time to help each other out ............

:)

Ian

Iandontgointhere.jpg

Ian just prior to parking for a couple of hours

:hysterical:

Ian,

You didn't mention you sat in there for 2 hours !!!!! :rolleyes:

Hopefully no real damage, and a good result for you too.

Now, if you had had a proper leccy winch and not one of these stupid Hydraulic thingeees .................................. :lol:

Nige

No worries Ian , after all it makes things a whole lot better when everyone mucks in .

Thats the beauty of these events that James holds , Every one is a freindly face and its never to much trouble to lend a hand , Some events I have been to other competetors wouldnt give you the time of day , But I guess they are legends in their own lunchboxes .

It looks like we missed a good un, where did you find all that water. I thought it would be that dry you would'nt need the winch.

I said to the Mrs, I bet they are tazzin around and on their second card by the time pugwash brings the chips. It has'nt rained here for a couple of weeks.

Yeah guys just to reiterate thank you for pulling together and getting Ian out it saved the JCB coming out which was on the cards!

Bob - you missed a good 'un, i managed to find them some water though, i don't think many were onto their second card by lunchtime.

that place always amazes me- there were bits that i've walked the dog which i was dead certain were bone dry- a landy drives over it and certainly you have ruts 2 foot deep fully of mud and water.

about 100m up from where Ian got very stuck (oh and that other vehicle too- now whose was it?) there is a tractor which has sunk from view- just occsasionally when the ground dries out enough you can see the exhaust stack.

the amount of mulch on the ground is also amazing- sometimes you just seem to sink and sink before you find anything approaching hard ground- guess it's one of those places where really big floaty tyres would be good, or a very light vehicle!

..... I can only assume this was taken in visa the dipstick and maybe the now redundant dizzy

Many a true word!

Jim, I've heard the "There's a <insert large vehicle name> completely submerged in that there bog - you can just see the top of it on dark misty nights" story about at least three different sites now! Is this true or an urban myth? ;)

Si

Many a true word!

Jim, I've heard the "There's a <insert large vehicle name> completely submerged in that there bog - you can just see the top of it on dark misty nights" story about at least three different sites now! Is this true or an urban myth? ;)

Si

Si, yep it all true, but i thought it was a bit futher down river !! , on the Burnworthy estate (next door) !!!

yeah it's true - it's one of those real urban "myths"

as tim says it's on burnworthy a 1/2 mile or so further down

though they do say that on a full moon, if you stand with your back to a nortthern wind then you can hear the roar of a dying ford diesel tractor

Ian surprised you entered that mire with one winch ?

rear winch soon I guess :)

Somebody from the Honiton area told me that most of the silt had gone and the bottom was hard gravel .................. wrong :D ................ also it was waist deep...............wrong. :D

Our intention was to winch the whole section ............... come in on the first 2 punches, winch to the 3rd punch and then exit to the left on an extension rope across the firmer section of the bog. However, the silt and debris in the bog was probably 2 feet + deep and we immediately lost the fan / PAS belts as I winched toward the 3rd punch a wall of silt, stones and other debris was built up in front........ ............ you could hear the crank pulley chomping its way through the rubbish !!.............................no water pump then means an engine shut down.

I called for recovery, but somebody from the Honiton promptly got stuck and took out their front diff / half shaft :rolleyes:

Its still not running yet............... :rolleyes:

Ian

Somebody from the Honiton area told me that most of the silt had gone and the bottom was hard gravel .................. wrong :D ................ also it was waist deep...............wrong. :D

Our intention was to winch the whole section ............... come in on the first 2 punches, winch to the 3rd punch and then exit to the left on an extension rope across the firmer section of the bog. However, the silt and debris in the bog was probably 2 feet + deep and we immediately lost the fan / PAS belts as I winched toward the 3rd punch a wall of silt, stones and other debris was built up in front........ ............ you could hear the crank pulley chomping its way through the rubbish !!.............................no water pump then means an engine shut down.

I called for recovery, but somebody from the Honiton promptly got stuck and took out their front diff / half shaft :rolleyes:

Its still not running yet............... :rolleyes:

Ian

I bet he said it only came halfway up the ducks as well. :)

never trust a hobbit. Always ask them to go in first. :)

I am scandalised - when have I ever done such a terrible thing.

Actually Ian, I did say it was mainly water BUT I did also mention the green sand underneath. I also said it was up to Darrens waist when he went in, but that was before Jason modified it AND I suggested that Scott wade it first. I would also add in my defence that a certain retired military chap told me to do it as he wanted to watch your winch in action again.

I have already apologised privately and expressed my guilt but once again I am sorry. I have paid my dues - the new door is on but the diff is the wrong one for the new half shafts so I will have to aquire a fine spline diff off Mr Broom.

Yes, we should have checked the depth and content more carefully……….

Engine now runs again and has been flushed, but I now have a hole in the timing case (and oil leak) that has been caused by a stone ………however, a replacement case has been sourced locally.

:)

Ian

I am scandalised - when have I ever done such a terrible thing.

Actually Ian, I did say it was mainly water BUT I did also mention the green sand underneath. I also said it was up to Darrens waist when he went in, but that was before Jason modified it AND I suggested that Scott wade it first. I would also add in my defence that a certain retired military chap told me to do it as he wanted to watch your winch in action again.

I have already apologised privately and expressed my guilt but once again I am sorry. I have paid my dues - the new door is on but the diff is the wrong one for the new half shafts so I will have to aquire a fine spline diff off Mr Broom.

nope still not enough groveling. I think that as penance you should enter as a competitor next time :)