The Vapour-Buildoff

Since the 109 is now on the road I can officially be smug towards those who haven't finished their builds yet :D

But I've been thinking - who is actually building what, how far are they and who's going to get there first? So, I thought I'd start this thread so that the e-builders can post up what they're doing and maybe even prove us all wrong by producing a vehicle.

So, racking my brains as to who's building what I can only remember:

Al - Building something, claims to have some bent tubes and possibly a couple of bits of Mog in there but what actually is it and what's it going to do?

Will - Last count he was remodeling the 90 (air shox, wheelbase stretch and crew-cab were mentioned) and then going to sit down and build a sort of Ultra-Frog/Ferret hybrid uber-thing with a flat six and, errr, stuff.

Jez - Just to antagonise him into action :P has a sodding great big engine that just needs a car wrapped round it :lol: and will 2008 be the year we see Zuz with her own vehicle? :ph34r:

Any more for any more?

What about me?

Actually, mine took a little hop forwards this week after finalising the design for the front spring / shock / linear actuator hangers.

turret1.jpg

For the front, all that remains now is to weld the beadlocks on to the rims and make the steering drag links. The rear is a whole different story however!

A few photos here

Si

Been engaged on a chassis swap on my SIII 88 for the past few years.

It's turned into more than a straight swap, more an upgrade. Outwardly it looks like a SIII should, but I've brought the electrics upto date with plenty of relays & fuses, comfy seats, parabolics, inertia belts and so on.

Al - Building something, claims to have some bent tubes and possibly a couple of bits of Mog in there but what actually is it and what's it going to do?

Will - Last count he was remodeling the 90 (air shox, wheelbase stretch and crew-cab were mentioned) and then going to sit down and build a sort of Ultra-Frog/Ferret hybrid uber-thing with a flat six and, errr, stuff.

Jez - Just to antagonise him into action :P has a sodding great big engine that just needs a car wrapped round it :lol: and will 2008 be the year we see Zuz with her own vehicle? :ph34r:

Any more for any more?

Hmmm. Well I suppose its a fair question - you smug git Fridge! ;)

Well, in all honesty I would place myself last on the list. At least eveyone else is in the right country (presumably SimonR has his project in his 'workplace', so he's got no excuse at all! :D ).

Indeed Mr Fridge, the sum total to date is, basically, more portals than you can shake a stick at, some blingy gearboxes and the start of a chassis. Not a lot, it has to be said. Of course I also have the camper project for the Mog...

I don't really expect to achieve anything until I figure out where I'm gonna be etc. Life is in a state of flux at the mo, and the garage has taken a bit of a back seat, especially since after installing the 3 phase any garage time I get is spent on playing with toys tools.

Maybe Jez and I should pool our resources - he's got the engine and chassis, I've got the gearboxes and tube... Although I expect he can manage without my assistance. ;)

I'm sure he was pleased to see himself on a list of vapour-builders though...!

Pugwash seems to be getting there? Grim reality has hit Will, though as I understand it he doesn't have too much to do on it? One of these two should win I guess (I'm not counting SimonR cos those photos hardly show 'vapour'...)

Les - got pics?

Al. Vapourware Consultant Extrordinaire.

my project is at least getting somewhere.

as long as the money doesn't run out then it might only be another couple of months.

it's a mog disc brake conversion which is killing me at the moment- hoping dirtydiesel might come up wth something!

mine would be in FF parlance:

Pugwash- building a bloody great big stupid thing with a huge engine, gearbox, axles and wheels that has taken at least 18months already and may be finshed someday.

I have to rather ashamedly add my name to the list. I've got so fed up with the damned rain (I have to work outside), that I'm extending my shed another 15-feet in order to get the new chassis in the dry and be able to work on it. With the purchase of the new chassis I have decided to fit power steering, better heating, and a roll cage. I have the complete PAS from a 110V8, the heater assembly from the same vehicle, the correct tubing, pipe bender, tube notcher, new MIG, and other bits and pieces for him. Learning to MIG weld has taken a while - I've been a gas welder for years - I need to learn to MIG properly, so I've been very fussy about how well I can do it. The biggest hang-up is the damned weather, which is why I'm extending the shed. The new chassis has been sat on trestles almost since the day I bought it - covered in a blue tarp :(

Les.

hmmm <_<

ok, got a couple of small things to take care of first

The maths and scribbles have already started, the next gen will be stronger, lighter and soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much faster - something capable of taking on tougher Proto comps :blink:;) (but at least we're only a couple of years behind the big bad world now :i-m_so_happy: )

I am afraid that my Forest Rover project, started about 7 years ago, has vaporised due to time constraints,and the fact that my workshop which consists of a wheelybin and and old plastic groundsheet is a little small for the task.I got as far as narrowing and lightening the Leyland truck planetary reduction hubs and that's it. Someone else over here has expressed interest in building one so who knows, it might become a reality one day.

Bill.

Well I just bought this on the net today, so I will be "building" it, but it will be for family wheeling, so nothing that qualifies for this thread I guess. 4:10s, Detroit rear, 235/85s, sliders, diff and tank guards and that's about it :ph34r: (okay, I'll take this over to Discoweb...."what size cupholders can I fit without having to trim?")

f2.jpg

Well SimonR has lost a lot of vapour-points there by showing a photo of something that includes suspension, drivetrain, chassis and engine in a roughly vehicular layout :P

RPR has a lot of catching up to do to gain points, perhaps he should follow Mr Warne's example and take his perfectly serviceable vehicle to pieces and then leave it in a (velvet-lined) shed for six months.

Les's entry is strong, playing with new toys and organising workshop space instead of actually doing any vehicle building is a well established technique. Double points if you had a TIG you couldn't use instead of just a MIG ;)

Jules gains points for unfinished abandonment but loses out because he hasn't posted up impressive tech on plans for seventeen-link semi-independent suspension and outlandish engine/gearbox/axle/tyre combos while the build was going on.

Jez gains points for doing maths although some sort of pie chart would give a real boost.

Bill's effort is strong but unfortunately his previous projects have left him with a large points deficit which would take approximately 75 years of inactivity (or 30 years of "getting the feel for my new welder") to reach the zero mark.

Roger gets points for timescale although tasteful choice of suspension knocks the points back a bit.

What about me?

Actually, mine took a little hop forwards this week after finalising the design for the front spring / shock / linear actuator hangers.

turret1.jpg

For the front, all that remains now is to weld the beadlocks on to the rims and make the steering drag links. The rear is a whole different story however!

A few photos here

Si

Si,

Is that Shock tower column going to hack it ? I just started welding classes, so I know jack and nothing but jack, but it looks like a LOT of force on that weld when things start rockin and rollin...

Vapour? Pah. I've got a working Ninety (ish) and I've been heard to spout plans for a rear-engined space frame carrying the same registration but I've not even started taking the donor apart yet. Surely that's the ultimate vapour build? Excuses include "needing the car for transport", "only being able to work in the street", "getting a welder to get the feel of", "still working out the final design", "working up a presentation so I can apply to companies for sponsorship funding" and "not quite sure where the maglev and warp drive will bolt in". I do already know where all the cupholders will go.

It's hard to justify taking the Ninety apart when it does a reasonable job as it is. Really it just needs to be a bit less breakable.

Si,

Is that Shock tower column going to hack it ? I just started welding classes, so I know jack and nothing but jack, but it looks like a LOT of force on that weld when things start rockin and rollin...

It's a good question! I reckon the weld is up to it. Look at the amount of useful weld that holds the spring hangers on to a 90? I intend adding a 'strut brace' between the two towers as well as tying them in to the roll cage - but I guess I'll only know for sure is when "things start rockin and rollin..."

The front end is very close to being mobile now so I think I'll take it for a drive round Slindon - with front wheel drive only just to see if it behaves how I hope!

Si

Ummm,

I have a plan for a new toy that so far is top secret, only some people know about it, ummmm, me!!

Its been on the drawing board with ideas and development discussions for approx 4years now, so much soo that i built a hybrid instead.

My problem is i do not have the space to build it, ok i have a garage with a kitcar in that could be evicted but it does not like the rain, ooh and i should really sort out the rear suspension on that too.

Have the relevant parts sat by the lotus 7, for atleast 3yrs with the car on axle stands, umm, again that was done 3yrs ago!

Perhaps i need to get my project started, anyone got a spare space to work in for a small interesting project that is not like the norm?

It only took 6 months for mine to get out of the vapour phase. Well, it actually took me quitting my job so I finally had the time. Basically a frame over with no non-stock mods other than putting in a larger radiator, intercoler and a VNT turbo for my non-stock 1.9 VW TD. I still have little bits to do like new swivels, which I have, and finish painting, but at least it's on the road again. :D

sorry Jez but i cant say that the approach angle is looking good there!

I could of entered bbut i agreed to sell my bits and just buy a big lump of swedish metal that works out of the wrapper. but tubular Zuki with TDi on portals would be nice