Wafer thin mint sir?

bishbosh

Are you referring to plasma discs Bish? they are 1.5mm thick. I don't think you can get them for 9-inch as they would easily break. I buy a box of 25 from BOC for £20. Machinemart sell them, but none of the big DIY stores though (probably too dangerous). If you only need a few, then let me know and I'll bung some in the post if you can't get any where you are.

Les.

IIRC they are 1mm discs. I have had plenty of 4.5" ones from various places but the price seems to vary wildly from about 80p to £1.20 each plus the dreaded.

I did wonder about the 1mm ones being available for a 9" grinder. If they aren't available, what do people use? I need to cut up some 100 x 100 x 5mm box to make a bumper.......

Are you referring to plasma discs Bish? they are 1.5mm thick. I don't think you can get them for 9-inch as they would easily break. I buy a box of 25 from BOC for £20. Machinemart sell them, but none of the big DIY stores though (probably too dangerous). If you only need a few, then let me know and I'll bung some in the post if you can't get any where you are.

Les.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.js...39&ts=82969

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.js...71&ts=83000

Guest diesel_jim

I bought a load at sodbury last time.... great for minimal material wastage, but i think these ones were made of cheese...

Bish I use 9" 1mm cutting discs from a company called Reca , There rep is from Clevedon and pops in once a month I will get you his number next time he is in .

They also supply me 4.5" and 3" 1mm cutting discs and they last for ages , Some time wish the rep came in every 6 months .

The very best ones I've used were from Wurth. The person who supplied the steel has an account with them!

For 9", the thinnest I've used is 3mm - but they cut uber fast and last a decent length of time. You can use them until they are 4.5" in diameter then use them on a little grinder.

Si

I too use the makita ones from Screwfix on the 4.5" and find them long lasting and a good cut. I bought 10 9 inch ones in 1mm thiskness from the same source about 3 months back but when I just went to reorder find they no longer stock them. Mind you they did get a bit scary every now and then when they took on a life of their own. Sort of a resonant wobble......... :unsure:

The wafer thin discs are great, particularly for cheap, nasty chinese made angle grinders because you don't have to work them hard. They are not available in the larger diameters because the discs are easily broken with potentially tragic results if you are not careful. I had a broken piece of 4 1/2'' disc fly off and make a deep cut in my chin. A little lower and it may have cut my windpipe, so i highly recommend using a full face shield.

Bill.

Not that you could fit them to an angle grinder, but I sell industrial cut off discs as part of my job. The 28" resin bonded wheels, at 0.6mm thick are incredible for taking thin slices - not the best for taking any kind of side load, though - they make one hell of a bang when they shatter.