Chequer plate

JonJon

Ok, I know this is a dumb question (I have plenty more, even dumber): But what does chequerplate on the wings and sills actually do, apart from look mildly funky? If I don't have any; is it worth getting? If so is it easy to do?

There. I've said it.

Reason 1 is normally Bling :)

I like wing top protectors because the wing tops are easily bent by a rogue elbow and it means you can dump tools etc on them when working in the engine bay, or you can stand on them when using the roof rack. Also the Genuine wingtop protectors are non reflective (not something you can say about most cheap ones) so you only get dazzled by the sun off the bonnet.

The rest of the chequer plate is a waste of time IMHO and a vehicle that has "all the options" looks daft.

Ok, I know this is a dumb question (I have plenty more, even dumber): But what does chequerplate on the wings and sills actually do, apart from look mildly funky? If I don't have any; is it worth getting? If so is it easy to do?

There. I've said it.

You either love it or hate it

I hate it, would never put any on the outside of the nas :D

Daz800 seems to love it :lol:

I walk on mine a fair bit when the roof bars are on and I've got stuff I need to secure to them - totally agree that 'bling' is the usual reason it's fitted, but then I can't think of a better way to toughen the wing tops so I can stand on them. Tough one this innit?

Makes me laugh when you see chequer plating on the side of rock sliders or on the side of vehicles, i ask why the hell would you do that and the reply is usually

" to protect the vehicle when i rub against stuff"

i usually follow this up by asking the question what is chequer plating for usually? gripping? so why would you want to grip something when rubbing against something?

I like the stuff when its used for purpose rather the "bling" version

The raised chequery bits are designed to create an air gap under the bottom of the coffee mug reducing thermal transfer so your drink stays hot for much longer :ph34r:

or you could just put the cup on the plastic heater inlet, just don't spill any down there... tends to stink the cab out a bit :lol:

ive got wing tops completely for the bling factor

is it easy to do?

yes buy the chequer plate, cover the flat side completely in grease (so not to act as a water trap and promote rust) then rivet down. simple!!

Agree with most that has been said, I once hopped down off the roof rack on to my bonnet, without the x-plate my wet foot slipped and I ended up on my arse on the bonnet, Bloody scary!. Made my own, but painted them matt black. when it was dry (next day) I got out my sander and sanded it off the tops of the bobbles. Looked very good as it also takes the shine of the ally as well. Overall effect is that it looks like gunmetal.

CUrrently got black chequer plate on the wing tops for as above climbing around on the roof and will be adding some to the bonnet, previous owner put them down the sills and that will not be staying as adding rock sliders, only other area is the rear tub and the inside of the rear door

I have chequer plate on the wings and bonnet for walking on and covering the big rectangular hole in the bonnet where the intercooler air scoop was.

I have another bit on one side of the bonnet on the radius covering the hole I cut when the air intake used to go through it .

I have chequer plate on the roof because it was there already and is good for walking on when getting the waffles down or for loading and unloading the half length roof rack without damaging the aluminium panels of the roof.

I have chequer plate on the rear corner to cover the mangled aluminium and broken filler and it did stiffen that corner of the tub to prevent further damage until I bought some corner protectors.

I have a bit on each side of the rear roof to cover the holes in them and to cover the damage and stiffen the corners after too many winch challenges in a hard top, in woods ;)

And finally I have a bit on the rear door covering all the holes where the spare wheel carrier used to be.

Am I bling or what ! :D

Mo

I have chequer plate on the wings and bonnet for walking on and covering the big rectangular hole in the bonnet where the intercooler air scoop was.

I have another bit on one side of the bonnet on the radius covering the hole I cut when the air intake used to go through it .

I have chequer plate on the roof because it was there already and is good for walking on when getting the waffles down or for loading and unloading the half length roof rack without damaging the aluminium panels of the roof.

I have chequer plate on the rear corner to cover the mangled aluminium and broken filler and it did stiffen that corner of the tub to prevent further damage until I bought some corner protectors.

I have a bit on each side of the rear roof to cover the holes in them and to cover the damage and stiffen the corners after too many winch challenges in a hard top, in woods ;)

And finally I have a bit on the rear door covering all the holes where the spare wheel carrier used to be.

Am I bling or what ! :D

Mo

You sponsored by Alcan then Mo? :lol:

I thought the chequer plate was to replace the thickness they took out of the panels when they went from '110' to 'defender' , I can walk on the wing tops on my 110 but could not even lean on them on my defender 130 .

Beancounters at it again, build down to a price , not to a quality

New years resolution I must not keep having rants :rolleyes:

I have wing tops plated so i can walk on them to get at the roofrack, i also have the whole loadbed of the 3 dr 110 treadplated up to the level of the top of the tub... why? so i can park on the hill and jet wash it out! also i regularly move engines and gearboxes bricks etc so the original floor got trashed

Also i get it at trade price and have access to a guillotine and press brake :) :)

I dont particularly like it when used for bling, never understood people using it for bodywork when its cheaper just to get some 16g ally sheet!?!?

mike

I specified the black "chequer plate" option on mine when I bought it. Wing tops useful - it means that my phone stays on the wing a bit longer when I drive off having forgotten to pick it up; that way I'm going at an even greater pace when it inevitably flies off.

They also put it along the sills, which meant I couldn't open the passenger door without lifting it and also on the bumper?!?

Anyway - it looks good but was hidiously expensive. Better to just fit the wing tops after market IMHO.

The only chequer plate I ever used on a Landy was to fabricate a winch mount as it was all I had. As for walking on the wings and bonnet, the dents and ripples were never a problem given the potential for more serious ones caused by off road use. Matt paint and a brushed finish generally provides sufficient grip. ;)

I have seen a 90 up the North end of Liverpool with the black chequer plate, and it looks nice and understated.

I guess from the above I have to get new doors rather than cover the bottom with chequer plate?

You shouldn't need to. The dealer suggested that it was rubbing becuase the "tollerances are so much tighter on the 07 model".

"Ahh", I said, "so why is there a good 5mm clearance on the other side then?".

have got.....

wing tops - to add some strength for standing and help straighten them out given the state I inherited them in (!)

bonnet - cover holes left by bonnet wheel mouting kit

rear corners - again to straighten up what i inherited (but also a bit of bling i admit)

would like....

floor plates (i dont use mats) so some chequer would give a bit more grip - i tend to slide around on the OE floor plates

would consider....

door cards as would be a lot easier to keep clean!!! i find mud is constantly ingrained in the black plastic door cards. anyone know where to get these from?