what one is better

series3_mad

I believe,but Dakar racers get tons of sponsorships!

:P

Maybe if I asked sweetly...?

^_^

P.S.

Thanks Tony.

BTW,I've found a quote in my rucksack (you get the vision of what I carry along at work!)...

I was offered:

Daewoo 100Ah X 700Ah CCA (I think?) @135Euros

Bosch 95Ah X 640Ah CCA @122Euros

add a discount which usually goes from 20 to 30% IIRC.

Edited by Michele

I'm with Tony, et al on this issue. I can buy 4 of the FIAMM for the cost of one of the more ‘fashionable’ batteries :D . OK,OK …… so some of you will tell me that your whizzy go faster battery will last 5 years or more and keep your winch turning for 10 seconds longer etc, etc………… but after this time period its performance will certainly not be as good as ‘new un’ …….. where as our cheapo’s that we can afford to replace every couple of years and still save money ……. will always have reasonable performance that is not age related.

Generally anything that is used extensively in the farming industry and has withstood the test of time gets my vote ;) .

Yes, battery cell technology has moved on a long way in this last few years, not only with sealed lead acid Gels, but also with Ni-MH. In the case of the latter we have seen huge advances cell size capacity (mainly due to improved cell construction and better removal of impurities) and a steady drop in price as volume makes the improved technology affordable. However, the prices of ‘fashionable’ lead acid gels have not moved and in some cases have increased, even though at least one of the brands is fitted as standard equipment on at least 2 makes of car / SUV ……………Hmmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

Michele : The size is 096 …… although others of larger capacity will fit OK ……. And they are Italian :D

Ian

Thanks you too!

That's why I asked,they should be cheaper here...I think...

;)

Michele : The size is 096 …… although others of larger capacity will fit OK ……. And they are Italian :D

Ian

Uhm...on a note...

(Electricky thing knowledge=0)

The (8274) manual says:

Recommended Battery: 650 CCA for winching

Now,If I take 2 of the above batteries and link them... :rolleyes:

700 X 2 =1400

or

640 X 2= 1280

So almost twice the power needed?

Is it right?So simple?

:unsure:

Michele,

Yes, but its not quite that simple…….. both your calculations will be OK.

I think Tony uses 2 x 096.

I just use 1 X 096 because I use Hydraulic winches ……. All the battery does, is starts the V8 and powers 550watts of lights :P .

We pay about 65 Euros here (I cant remember whether thats before or after VAT @17.5% :rolleyes: ) ………. that’s L127,107.44 in old money ……….Lira (pre 2002) :lol: .

Ian

I just use 1 X 096 because I use Hydraulic winches

ner ner ner ner ner!

:P

OK,where's Nige now???

:lol:

65E sound really cheap!

Sure,if I had all the money in the world I would even throw 3X Exxxxxxxide in,as someone does here...

:blink:

FWIW.

Drew Bowler uses Exide Maxxima's on all of his Wildcat Dakar racers because in his words: 'Optima's are carp'....

Kev

I would agree with him on that I have had nothing but agro from the optima in the racer were as the cheap off the shelf Fiamm in the wifes racer has not missed a beat all season

So most people are not using a split charge and are wiring the batteries in Parallel. Im thinking of putting both batteries in the boot, Keep them a bit warmer and make more space under the bonnet. Can anybody see any problems with this? What alternators are the best as i've seen some 120 amp ones on e-bay?

i found this in my garage this afternoon and im thinking about using it in the landy.

126_2623%20(Medium).JPG

If it has been in your garage for long enough for you to "find" it this afternoon then I might question whether it is any good. Lead acid batteries have a limited shlef life and need to be charge regularly to be kept in good condition.

Chris

Thanks you too!

That's why I asked,they should be cheaper here...I think...

;)

That is not how it works in the UK Michele! Things made here are almost always cheaper in other countries - in fact everything is more expensive here wherever it is made. Foreign manufacturers call the UK "The Golden Isle" on account of the higher prices they can charge in the UK.

Chris

We tend to sell more of the Maximas due to the fact we also sell the tray that they bolt to, thus making a nice tidy installtion (For Def only)

Jim :)

01732 463600

Jim, can you post up any pics of the tray (and prices or PM them if you'd rather)?

So thats why batteries have a second set of terminals, Is that the best way to wire them up in parallel?

There is a VERY good reason for a split charge.

Unless you use a pair of batteries which are matched (and you can buy 'laser trimmed' matched batteries such as Cyclon cells), when you charge or discharge, you end up with slightly more charge in one battery than the other.

When left alone (not being charged or discharged), the higher voltage battery pumps charge in to the lower. It tends to over-shoot a bit and so the current flow reverses. This process continues until both batteries are discharged.

That's OK, you say, I keep an eye on the voltage & charge them up regularly. However, Lead acid batteries do not appreciate low current charge or discharge over log periods. It does something to the chemistry of the battery, lowering it's overall capacity (allbeit slowly). This is one of the reasons that batteries in computer UPS's need replacing so often - they are continuously float charged and after a year or two have full voltage but practically no capacity.

The split charge just un-pairs the batteries when it is not being charged or discharged. They are simple and inexpensive (often cheaper even than a big switch). There is a voltage drop across them equivalent to three connections, but the advantage of not having one in terms of peak current delivery is short lived.

Si

I run 2x Optimas, and a National Luna Split Charge System.

Just (today) replaced one ogf the optimas which died, and I have found the reciept - nearly 10 years old.

This will have had serious abuse over those years previously used for winching, so I have bought another as

a. seems to have done well.

b. It fits into a made mounting so its an easy fit with mods.

c. Devon 4x4 have a special on at circa £90+ :P

Nige

I'm looking at a new one at the moment - its a commercial type one for a lorry.

200Ah, 1050 CCA, and able to cope with being deep cycled.......and best of all its only 100 quid!

Just gotta check it fits into my battery box..........

Both of my batterys are now past their prime and have been having trouble starting the engine! Never bothered me before but as I'm now going back to electric winches I thought it wouldnt be a bad idea....

Jon

what there is more than one. I just bought a yellow top mmmm.

Don't know would look but have not seen it for 12 weeks and still waiting to see it :angry:

Yes, there are several models and that was one reason in the end I choose the Maxximas as it was never clear when you compared prices on the yellow tops what exactly you were comparing. Different capacities and ratings IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...