What GPS / Satnav do you use when out and about?

TJN

So am looking to get a GPS toy for the Landy as we are heading out to various places this year in the truck, most will be in UK and France but we are heading for Morocco and want to get a good GPS/Satnav system.

What do you use and why?

Thanks TJ

So am looking to get a GPS toy for the Landy as we are heading out to various places this year in the truck, most will be in UK and France but we are heading for Morocco and want to get a good GPS/Satnav system.

What do you use and why?

Thanks TJ

I use a Dell PDA with a CF GPS. The reason is I can run two different software applications and it all runs from one power lead so nice and tidy.

GPS Receiver

Holox 351 (note spelling, a Holux is a different product range).

Power is from internal battery, with auto sleep, and auto wake-up.

External power (including re-charging) is via a mini-USB socket fed from PC USB socket, or car 12 volts, or mains, via suitable adapters.

Connection from the Reciever is via Bluetooth.

Navigation (visual and audio prompts).

PC Navigator 7 Europe v 7.2 (mapfactor.com via http://www.directions.ltd.uk/) running on an XP equipped Laptop.

GPS is set as NMEA.

Mapping

MemoryMap v5

COM port splitter

PC software to distribute GPS receiver input across both (many) applications, allowing simultaneous connection / operation of the live position update.

Xport (http://curioustech.home.insightbb.com/xport.html)

This is free, and less sophisticated that Franson GPS Gate, but does the basic essential COM port split function.

Cheers

ZyCast SG-949 USB GPS mouse (off of the eBay)

Itronix IX250 ruggedised laptop (as TSD said "it doesn't have that flimsy toughbook feel to it" :lol: )

OziExplorer software.

I may invest in some actual tom-tom/navigator style software although if I can see a map with a dot where I am I can usually work out the rest by myself.

I have:

an eTrek, a Go-Book with MM, an Ipaq with MM and Navman, a CF-P1 toughbook with MM and a Navman. At work we have CF-P1's with GIS and soon something along the lines of Psion ruggedised PDAs

If I was looking to buy outright I would get a Garmin 60CSX or a decent ruggedised PDA with MM

A lot depends what you want it for.

We use a simple Garmin 276C. We need the Garmin mapping for Africa to be able to use Tracks 4 Africa mapping.

T4A now have some of Morroco in their system. Should you consider T4A please send your track log to them so that the roads can be updated.

mike

I have written a small article for GLASS about my considerations.

Laptop is too big and vulnerable for motors I feel.

Phone type GPS - well I have a job sussing out the texting, so that's a non-starter.

So I bought a Dell Axim X30 PDA. Runs TomTom and Fugawi (although not at the same time). 2gb memory card and hard wired. Bluetoothed Fuzion GPS mouse.

I kept my old Magellan as for portable use and grid refs, it's hard to beat.

stuff006.jpg

Guest WALFY

David, not necessarly time wasted. Others on here who are contemplating doing the same will of got some very good information on this thread

I have written a small article for GLASS about my considerations.

Laptop is too big and vulnerable for motors I feel.

Phone type GPS - well I have a job sussing out the texting, so that's a non-starter.

So I bought a Dell Axim X30 PDA. Runs TomTom and Fugawi (although not at the same time). 2gb memory card and hard wired. Bluetoothed Fuzion GPS mouse.

I kept my old Magellan as for portable use and grid refs, it's hard to beat.

stuff006.jpg

What Deano uses is about the best VFM but swap out the Mag for an eTrek

I use an O2 XDA PDA and Copilot live which has the software and the receiver in the package.

GPS receiver is small enough to hang around your neck or pop into your shirt pocket and the PDA is also my mobile phone, email, wireless, calendar, web browsing, syncs with my work Exchange server etc etc.

Means that the set up gets used all the time and is small and handy enough to take when I go walking.

h814.jpg

and the receiver:

113d_1.JPG

mad

Cool thanks guys. Many many solutions. I am still undecided but heading more to a single item solution with a laptop backup at home for designing , plotting and saving routes.

Cheers TJ

Cool thanks guys. Many many solutions. I am still undecided but heading more to a single item solution with a laptop backup at home for designing , plotting and saving routes.

Cheers TJ

Hi

Thats what I do have a laptop with memory map with all my routes on and I bought a hp pda. HP have a shop on ebay and I got a returned and refurbished pda for less than £100 with warrenty, got a copy of tomtom for free ;);) and put that on the pda so I now have both memory map and tomtom on the pda for not a lot of money

I run a home built in car PC with touchscreen running XP with Memory Map, Tom Tom (on a pDA emulator- which really doesn't work very well), PC navigator, X-nav and X-port to spread the GPS signal to more than one program at a time. i also use the in car PC with an external HD carrying about 100gb of MP3s. Cost of PC was about £300 and it is permantly installed into the Vehicle with the base unit hidden and the screen being quick and easy to remove and hide!

when out and about i run a HTC Tytn 2 PDA with TomTom and Memory Map for the PDA.

I run a home built in car PC with touchscreen running XP with Memory Map, Tom Tom (on a pDA emulator- which really doesn't work very well), PC navigator, X-nav and X-port to spread the GPS signal to more than one program at a time. i also use the in car PC with an external HD carrying about 100gb of MP3s. Cost of PC was about £300 and it is permantly installed into the Vehicle with the base unit hidden and the screen being quick and easy to remove and hide!

when out and about i run a HTC Tytn 2 PDA with TomTom and Memory Map for the PDA.

Yeah, well I have some maps an' stuff!

Hi Jim.

could you tell me a bit more about the PDA emulator as I would like to use a tablet but miss tom tom to much so thats why I stick with a PDA over anything else

I've got a Garmin GPS V, for off-road use (displays OS grid refs, unlike some road-based Sat-Navs) this can be linked to my Laptop, where i have full UK memory map coverage.

I also have a Garmin 250W Sat-Nav, primarily for on road use, full european mapping, widescreen, etc.. bought last month for around £130...

yuo'll find a good, used GPSV on ebay for £40... and it'll do everything you need for off-roading...